How to get "that" finish?

O

onesong77

Full disclosure: I am not technically a scale model-maker, although I do make models of a sort...

I'm an inventor and I design/build prototype gadgets (tech, multi-tools, EDC).

Would be very grateful for some advice and/or help with the following:

I am currently working on a 3D-printed prototype but having some trouble getting the required finish on the paint job.

I have been using an Iwata Revolution mk2 with Alclad primer/micro-filler, but I am still getting lines/grain from the print coming through. (This could be down to my lack of experience as much as anything else). The topcoat will also be matte, in a light and dark grey matte finish, similar to a high-quality consumer electronic product. (No laqcuer).
E.g.

Here are some of the parts post-print:

There are approx 40 parts in total.

Grateful for any advice or if anyone would be interested in taking it on please PM me.

Thanks in advance :smiling3:

D

Dave S4

The paint will conform with what it's applied to. You could be stuck with sanding the unwanted relief out.
There may be fillers you can apply that will flow into the ruts and hide them, though. I'll defer to other forum members on that one.

O

onesong77

Thanks Dave,

I was wondering if there is a better filler/primer that was up to the job...

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Depending on the plastic you just need a filler to smooth the ridges out then sand them and then prime them.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
The other option is to render at very high resolution and print as high a resolution that your printer can achieve. This would probably take days to render for each artwork. You will still have the lines but much finer that thick primer paint may cover. Just a suggestion.

Cheers,
Richard

O

onesong77

Thanks Richard. I am printing at the highest resolution (and yes it does take days). The models need to be blemish-free for some hi-res photos. Do you have a recommendation for the primer?

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Richard. I am printing at the highest resolution (and yes it does take days). The models need to be blemish-free for some hi-res photos. Do you have a recommendation for the primer?

As the printer plastic is not condusive to sanding the primer I would recommend is Mr Surfacer. They have at least 3 grades 500, 1000 and 1200. The 500 normally is used to hide blemishes while 1200 acts as a final primer coat. It has to be applied with an airbrush and you can build up layers until satisfied. Fine sanding is possible once fully cured. Google Mr Surfacer for more info. Good luck John.

Cheers,
Richard

O

onesong77

Depending on the plastic you just need a filler to smooth the ridges out then sand them and then prime them.
Thanks Ian.
As the printer plastic is not condusive to sanding the primer I would recommend is Mr Surfacer. They have at least 3 grades 500, 1000 and 1200. The 500 normally is used to hide blemishes while 1200 acts as a final primer coat. It has to be applied with an airbrush and you can build up layers until satisfied. Fine sanding is possible once fully cured. Google Mr Surfacer for more info. Good luck John.

Thanks again Richard. This is probably a stupid question but does the 500 grade need to be applied with a brush?

Cheers,
John

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Ian.

Not a stupid question John as I have not tried the 500 grade. From the site I read it probably needs a brush and to smoothen with lacquer thinner or sanding. I have only used the 1000 and 12000 and both with an airbrush but with a heavy duty nozzle that's on a Badger 150. It dries matt, may look smooth but has some friction or mild roughness to the touch. The 500 can be airbrushed but with a higher psi and dilution to get it to flow.

Cheers,
Richard

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
May be way off track but I remember watching someone using acetone to smoothe some 3d printed models.
Not great for final models but may smoothe for photographic purposes.

O

onesong77

Thanks Richard. Much appreciated. However having made numerous (failed) attempts I have come to the conclusion that my skills/experience are just not up to the task in hand.

If there are any UK-based model-makers who would be interested in taking it on as a paid job please PM me.

I will provide more details about the project which I can't post in the public domain.

Thanks, John

W

Wizzzbang

Hi John.

I see you are in Essex. Are you near Nazeing? If so get in touch with Industrial Plastics. They make all things plastic and 3D printing. They have a show room of their work including 1/3 size 40K Space Marines, large scale collectable Doctor Who characters and many more. They have a local modeller they use to get what I think are the best finishes you could wish for on 3D printed parts.

O

onesong77

Hi John.

I see you are in Essex. Are you near Nazeing? If so get in touch with Industrial Plastics. They make all things plastic and 3D printing. They have a show room of their work including 1/3 size 40K Space Marines, large scale collectable Doctor Who characters and many more. They have a local modeller they use to get what I think are the best finishes you could wish for on 3D printed parts.

Thanks - I take it you meant Waltham Abbey? Will give them a call tomorrow and see what they can offer.

Cheers, John