How to have a plane in flight?

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Ok, probably a simple answer to this, but I've been thinking of a dio that requires a plane in flight, just prior to it 'clipping' a building, two ways I've thought of that might work, but any others?
1) use a piece of clear plastic to support the plane (ok will need to be 'matt' so it doesn't reflect)
2) do it literally just as it hits the wall, so that it can be glued to the building (downside is that it is just the wingtip that 'clipped', so not sure how well it would hold, though could put a wire to take the strain)

Also a 'new' experience, the ground/house will need to be snow covered (early 1940) - never done snow before!

It'll be 1/72 scale

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Gerry

Love the idea but unfortunately I can't help. I'm sure the others will have an idea though.

ATB.

Andrew

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Gerry

Love the idea but unfortunately I can't help. I'm sure the others will have an idea though.

ATB.

Andrew
I've had the idea for several years now, originally was going to be 1/24, but decided space was going to be an issue!
Still a few bits to check - could hurricanes lower the undercarriage without the engine running is the main concern. ;)

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
My two bobs worth:
If you go the plastic rod path don't use mat rod as it will stand out much more than a clear shiny one.
I would go for the moment of impact version. Much more happening and many more ways to hang the aircraft.
Assuming that the aircraft in not yet built, then you can build a heavy wire, either piano wire or even coat hanger wire, into the wing(s) as you build the model. remember to make it long enough to anchor to the building!

As for the undercarriage, well if he knew he was going down and had way to much speed I guess they would use whatever they could to take speed off. If he was coming in to land and had the gear down also fair enough. If shot down in the heat of battle I guess the wheels would be up... It really all depends on what is going on at the time. Personally if it was me and I was going down in a friendly zone, I would of bailed out while I still had some height!

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
The history of the incident was that he and another pilot were 'scrambled' as two 'intruders' were reported, the cleared runway was blocked by a training flights beaufort left unattended, so both hurricanes had to take off through deep snow which blocked the supercharger air intakes (causing engine failure), one managed to circle and land at the base, however, the hurricane in question, couldn't make it back, so was intending (presumably) to make a forced landing in a field - unfortunately, the wingtip caught the corner of the house, and the plane ended up upside down on the gate to the field over the lane from the house, pilot suffered just a broken nose (but was later shot down over the channel during the BOB, and body never recovered.)

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Mrs Ron (Spanner 570) - aka Justine - is who you need for this one Gerry. She's totally mastered the art of chucking 'planes for Ron to photograph in flight!
Probably, though she'd need to be accurate - as looking at the repairs to the house, must have been the very tip of the wing that caught the wall, as while one wall had an area of maybe 10 square feet knocked out, the adjoining wall doesn't look to have suffered any damage, reckon he was just an inch or two to the left of where he should have been to clear & get away with the landing!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well it sounds like you have a photo of some form. Which will help a lot with the house part of the project. By your description of the event I would say wheels down flaps down. He was to all intent going for a landing.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Even better than a photo, I've got the house to measure ;) :thumb2:
Just need to check what windows were in.
The thought was that if the engine had failed, would that have affected the ability to lower the undercarriage (hydraulic pressure etc.)

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The thought was that if the engine had failed, would that have affected the ability to lower the undercarriage (hydraulic pressure etc.)
If the engine failed just after take off, I would bet the wheels where still down....
So you live in the house that got "pranged" Now thats history!

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I'm thinking you need a sturdy wire, like piano wire, inserted into the wingtip and the wall, and well anchored/cantilevered in each . Should do the trick. You could bend a right angle in the wing end to stop it pivoting and screw/clamp it solid at the building end. A few displaced or 'flying' bricks might help to disguise the wire.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
For what it's worth I agree with the others, either a clear acrylic rod, I think I use 3mm for 1/72, or wire the aircraft to the building through the wing.

These two are 1/72 scale and posed on acrylic rod, to give an idea what it might look like.

IMG_2368_web.jpg

Ron is definitely your man for the damage, probably the snow too :smiling3:

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
If the engine failed just after take off, I would bet the wheels where still down....
So you live in the house that got "pranged" Now thats history!
Yes live in the house, though it's been re-roofed and double glazed windows fitted, but is basically the same as it was, so was thinking about once done, put in a case and display near the gate, along with a short description similar to the above.
I'm thinking you need a sturdy wire, like piano wire, inserted into the wingtip and the wall, and well anchored/cantilevered in each . Should do the trick. You could bend a right angle in the wing end to stop it pivoting and screw/clamp it solid at the building end. A few displaced or 'flying' bricks might help to disguise the wire.
Sounds like the best plan - if I use wood for the wall, should be able to clamp with plates and it'll be able to take screws to hold it in place, and do it just as it was striking (before the bricks flew) the wire will be hidden, as there wouldn't be any length 'free'.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
For what it's worth I agree with the others, either a clear acrylic rod, I think I use 3mm for 1/72, or wire the aircraft to the building through the wing.

These two are 1/72 scale and posed on acrylic rod, to give an idea what it might look like.

View attachment 415761

Ron is definitely your man for the damage, probably the snow too :smiling3:
Thanks for the picture - was typing when you posted, thinking that the wire will be the way I'll be going to do it (think that I'll be able to hide it better)

D

Deleted member 5496

My dioramas are shelves above each.

Just very fine fishing line both wings one on the tail. All fixed to the shelf above.

Perhaps an alternative. Very small diameter clear rods drilled into & fixed in to the wall with the fishing line approach as above.. Even very small metal rods painted same colour as the wall.

Laurie