How to make a smoke machine for your big scale tanks and boats for next to nothing!!

tigertc

Builder of sheds
SMF Supporter
First Name
Terry

I gave you guys a mention in the description. Just got fed up with buying smoke machines which either didnt make enough smoke or broke after the first use. So i did what all good modellers do...scratch build!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher

I gave you guys a mention in the description. Just got fed up with buying smoke machines which either didnt make enough smoke or broke after the first use. So i did what all good modellers do...scratch build!
HI Terry im sorry to say your vid dont work for me is anybody eles havin trouble tryin to see this vid ? an my steam machine works ok pic below IMG_5978.JPG

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
NO no good for me its just a greeny flashin pic an thats all pity as i would have liked to have seen that
chris

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Video works for me as well. I think Chris you might have some drivers that need an up date. Have you tried to watch it directly from You Tube?

As for the smoke machine, yes it puts a good amount of smoke out, but the original unit sends it out in pulses which is more in line with a large motor thumping it out.
A cure I have seen for the Drying out problem is to add a drip tank that constantly drips the oil into the heater unit. Others have found that a different oil works to better effect.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
does this work better?
HI Ian many thanks for tryin but at least here is some bit of a pic but its just flasing on an off very quickly an you may be right perhaps my drivers do need updateing
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AH HA after about 3mins the vid is now working cheers for that Ian now i'll see whats goin on an it looks like Terry is usein a pipe cleaner isnt he ? an dropping smoke oil onto the heated pipe cleaner am i right ?

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
OH GAWRD its back to flashin again never mind i give up
:rolling: :crying:
chris

• Sad
Reactions: JR

tigertc

Builder of sheds
SMF Supporter
First Name
Terry
Video works for me as well. I think Chris you might have some drivers that need an up date. Have you tried to watch it directly from You Tube?

As for the smoke machine, yes it puts a good amount of smoke out, but the original unit sends it out in pulses which is more in line with a large motor thumping it out.
A cure I have seen for the Drying out problem is to add a drip tank that constantly drips the oil into the heater unit. Others have found that a different oil works to better effect.
That's mk1 !! :smiling3: mk2 coming next week, i've ordered a couple of diaphragm pumps from amazon (£9 for a pair) to replace the Graupner and some fibreglass wadding. The video is more of a how to make smoke out of scrap, not teaching anyone how to suck eggs :smiling:

I've got a few ideas bouncing around on how to get an authentic put'put out of the exhaust without the clattering of the Heng Long piston pump. The drip feed oil sounds good, im hoping the other diaphragm pump im getting will be strong enough to to spray a fine mist of oil onto the nichrome as the next coil set up will be more of a flat zig zag lattice on top of a bed of fibreglass. Work in progress i will let you know how it goes.

Last edited:

tigertc

Builder of sheds
SMF Supporter
First Name
Terry
AH HA after about 3mins the vid is now working cheers for that Ian now i'll see whats goin on an it looks like Terry is usein a pipe cleaner isnt he ? an dropping smoke oil onto the heated pipe cleaner am i right ?
more or less yep :smiling3:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
That was a interesting video Terry. Of course I was hoping for some real combustion resulting in flames .:disappointed2:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
That was a interesting video Terry. Of course I was hoping for some real combustion resulting in flames .:disappointed2:

UH OH he's off again YOU cant have flames John as the poor ole tank or ship would go up in flames lol but then i :thinking: suppose you be happy lol:rolling::thinking:;):flushed::smiling::smiling2::smiling3: but too make you happy John i wish i had took a pic of my model room hover as that did go up in flames but sorry no pics lol
chris

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: JR

tigertc

Builder of sheds
SMF Supporter
First Name
Terry
No mate , whatever you do do not use the pipe cleaner as an element it will melt!! the pipe cleaners were used to soak up the oil then wrapped around nichrome wire :smiling3: