How to remove acrylic paint?

M

munkster

Having aborted a first attempt at airbrushing after messing it up (a 1/72 Spitfire) and moving onto my 1/48 F-15 (which has gone much better!!!) I was wondering how I could strip the acrylic paint off the Spitfire and try again? It's coated in Tamiya acrylics over Halfords primer if that makes any difference?

Is there a preferred method? Is it more trouble than it's worth?

Thanks for any help...

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I've used Purisol and modelstrip with good results, but usually if/when I make a mistake I just reprime and do it again, this isn't an option is your paint layers are too thick as you would loose too much detail

M

munkster

Great thanks, I think yeah the paint is a bit thick - heavy handed on my first attempt - seems a shame to bin the model (as suggested by a friend who must have, inexplicably, less patience than me!!) so may look at these product. Cheers.

M

munkster

ps - just ordered some Purisol out of the shop John - in the product description it says can be used as an airbrush cleaner too - does this mean that airbrushing is a possible way of applying it? What's the usual way of doing so? cheers!

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I brush it on I think airbrushing it would apply too thin a coat to work properly and using as cleaner would workout expensive.

M

m1ks

not to take away from the shop sales but an alternative suggestion for future use. I read that fairy power spray, green bottle, makes a good paint stripper. Some use brake fluid but I'd strongly advise not to, it's nasty nasty stuff.

P

phalinmegob

i have used brake fluid once and it worked well,using a toothbrush to scrub away paint.

M

m1ks

I'm not saying it's ineffectual, it works very well as a paintstripper but it is thoroughly unpleasant stuff, it belongs in one place only, in the reservoirs, calipers and hoses of a braking system.

Speaking as someone who's had the delightful chore of stripping and repainting car panels after malicious fluid attacks I can assure you it's nasty, on a metal panel you need to use a chemical neutraliser before prepping and painting again, you can quite literally see corrosion re-form in front of your eyes after cleaning and wiping off without the neutraliser.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Methylated spirit will shift most acrylic paint.

Steve

P

phalinmegob

i beleive you can also use the stuff that you can buy for cleaning your oven but cannot remember the name,comes with a bag and you are supposed to put the metal grills etc in.have not tried it though.

M

munkster

ps - for reference, "Purisol" works, oh yes, it certainly works... :shocking:

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Glad to hear it :smiling3: