How to restore a vintage SHORTS STIRLING BOMBER.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
This vintage model of the Shorts Stirling bomber was built by my father,its condition is fragile so each joint needs checking for security and if necessary reglueing and strengthening,in order to ensure the model will be OK for the future I have decided to use a well proven restoration technique for this type of model and that is to cover it with catridge paper panels,once painted the paper looks just like metal alloy skinning just like the real thing.
Dad was a master craftsman and I am gradually preserving as much of his work as possible,the ravages of time have caused damage to a few items but with care I am saving some of these models which are priceless to me.
We make a start by removing the rotton covering material in this case rag tissue,it is a messy business but has to be done with light sanding,then any broken parts are replaced.

P1050459.JPG

P1050457.JPG

P1050492.JPG

P1070309.JPG

P1070312.JPG

P1070315.JPG

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
I must admit I like working with wood, my Stephensons Rocket was wood and metal, good to save this old kits getting rare now especially with the family connection. Good luck getting them put right. :thumb2:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Barry,
That is a nice build I can see where you got your love for this type of build. It must bring back fond memories restoring your dads work.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Mark & Paul yes you are right I love the built up type of model that utilises real raw materials,restoring these old models too is essential if they are to exist into the future,the problem was that adhesives back then were not as good as today for example balsa cement in particular degrades and the wood falls apart as it dries out,to repair and restore I use modern aliphatic resin adhesive which will ensure the renewed life of the model.
Another issue is nicotine as dad was a heavy smoker,the nicotine gets into the balsa and not only stains it but causes glue joint failure too,thankfully after many years the smell of the nicotine has gone away.
Although models like this were built to fly I consider them too precious so prefer to make them into static airframes to enjoy,I have plenty of flying models so these go into my museum section in his memory,restoring them gives me immense pleasure.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Barry

Will be keeping an eye on this one. Hope it goes ok given the personal significance to you.

ATB

Andrew