How to strip acrylic paints?

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Basically as the title says. What fluid do i use to strip acrylic paints off something i've painted? I'm not happy with my StuG build so i need to start the painting again.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Evening Al. Hope you are well

I use fairy power spray, good coating. Leave in a small plastic bag, then water and a old toothbrush. There may be other ways??

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cheers Bob. Don't have any of that in the house but will keep it in mind. I've some 99.9% alcohol on my model bench and was wondering if that would do it. I'm going to strip the side armour plates as i don't like the chipping/scratch effect i've done.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
My pleasure, never tried anything else??

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Never stripped any paint (enamel or acrylic) off my models before so this is a first for me

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cheers Peter. I have the first two you suggested so i'll give the alcohol option a try first.

D

Deleted member 7181

Not done a model but I've stripped acrylics from a few of my lads miniatures by dunking them in meths for a while and scrubbing with a toothbrush.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Al at least with the Dettol your model and bench will be 99.9 % germ free :smiling:
Personally I use fire , but that's another story ! :surprised:

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Hi all, VMS Clean slate, works for me, brush on leave it a minute then either brush or wipe off.

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Good result, hope you have better luck this time Al.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
brake fluid......strips all kinds of paint........use a sealable container, leave over night, wash well in water, use an old tooth brush to scrub the nooks and crannies....take usual safety precautions

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
the other good one is mr muscle oven cleaner.....put the part in a sealable plastic bag.......squirt in lots of the oven cleaner...seal and leave over night.......just be careful cos it has ammonia in it so isnt nice to breathe in

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
the other good one is mr muscle oven cleaner.....put the part in a sealable plastic bag.......squirt in lots of the oven cleaner...seal and leave over night.......just be careful cos it has ammonia in it so isnt nice to breathe in
And rinse it off with a toothbrush in the sink. Even then you may have to scrub hard to remove old and/or thick paint.

As for the suggestion of Dettol: make sure you buy the real, old-fashioned Dettol and not one of the more modern types. I found the latter don’t work.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
And rinse it off with a toothbrush in the sink.
Put the plug in so you don't lose any small parts down the drain. Don't ask why I thought of that...
As for the suggestion of Dettol: make sure you buy the real, old-fashioned Dettol and not one of the more modern types. I found the latter don’t work.
Proper branded Dettol, not the pound shop lookalike. It can be reused multiple times so doesn't cost much in the long run.
Pete