How would you start a Diorama?

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi,
I've been wondering how you guys approach an idea of a diorama from the beginning. How is it first conceptualised? Do you plan... is there a visual in your head... do you sketch it out on paper... is it followed from a reference... do you improvise as you go along... or do you just mix everything in so as to fit all that you have built into one scene? Do terrain often stop you from attempting a scene? Do you like making from scratch or purchase the items and modifying them to suite?

I for one follow a habit of making mine at least 3 levels and above for viewing at 360 degrees which is murder for painting contrast and shadows to get a focal point.

How do you guys do it....?

Cheers,
Richard

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
On the three that I've done/started/got planned.
Done - an idea out of the blue. Just hashed up as I went.
Started - saw an old photo of a road that I travelled years ago and thought that it would look good as a 'backdrop'. Bit more planning, with what vehicles to include and areas to use, so laid out on paper, realising that it's going to be bigger than originally planned (A4, now getting on for A3 - with the potential of getting bigger)
Got planned - historical reference of an incident that happened (probably the hardest, as there'll be no 'artistic license'!) Gone from 1/24 to 1/72, simply because of space!
Mostly I'll scrounge round and use what I can find for free - built one was household bits and pieces - terrain, balled up paper covered with kitchen towel papermache, twigs and stone from the garden, plastic bag for water). Current build, will be using bark, weathered/rotten wood, card, coffee grounds (used, of course) and anything else that will work. Planned, probably will be buying in some of the base materials (ply etc.), but will probably be building from scratch on them (will have to learn to do snow though!)

Last edited:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I don’t build diorama’s anymore, really, but when I did (or would) it’s all in my head until I have some actual models partly built. At that point I can arrange them on a base along the lines of what I’ve been planning, which probably results in some shuffling around until I arrive at something that’s probably close to what I had in mind all along. At that point I would decide on the size of the base, cut it and usually draw the positions of the main elements on it.

Most of it, though, I (used to) do completely in my imagination, with no need for sketching anything.

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
I scetch them on paper (top and perspective view), usually not at the bench but rather at work with a simple blue ballpoint. That's because I like to scetch something the moment it comes to mind, and... most of my 'hobby thinking' happens at work :smiling5:

Last edited:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
With my dio i had an idea in my head then just went for it. I am making it up as i go along. For the next few dios i have planned i am making more of an effort and jotting down notes/ideas and sketching things too.

I would say find a way that is comfortable for you. Everyone is different and don't feel the need to follow convention.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I tend to lack imagination so the plan is either something very simple, like a muddy track, or a variation (read copy) of something I've seen. I do admire many of the more complex dios from people like John R, Big Greg, Grumpa, Andy Paintguy. Ron and of course yourself.
Jim

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
My most usual starting point is the wish to construct a certain type of building. I will then find photos or paintings of such building and sketch my version. The next part, which is usually just planned in my head, is to create a story of what is going on near the building. What ambience I want to create and why is it happening. The I get to building things and deciding how the composition will tell the story. This is one example to illustrate my method,

I wanted to build a large metal construction and finally stumbled across some photos of the Ludendorf Bridge. Now the story was well known about the US armoured division taking it so I looked for more piccies and found that support came from M16 half tracks and that engineers used Beeps as transport. So the models were procured and built. Then the aspect of the dio that I wanted to portray was the knife edge struggle to secure the bridge and defend it against counter attack, whilst, at the same time transporting as much as possible across it. I decided that a delicate piece of the structure standing on just one support, would convey a little of the see saw tension the scene required. It also needed to show the desperate search for and removal of any explosives left by the retreating Germans. That is my though process and below is the result.

Bridge finished 1.jpg

I hope this is useful.

John

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I work in 1/87 scale, so I start with a unit or elements of a unit in mind and develop a scene showing it in action. Sometimes inspired by a photo I've seen or an action described in a book I've read or just imagined. With this in mind, the unit elements are built first and laid out to arrive on a space and arrangement. Once that's decided the scenic elements are added and the unit elements blended in. The other process is to use an existing scenic element and place other unit elements on it. This allows showcasing more models photographically more swiftly. My 2 pence w/first cuppa. PaulE

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I have only completed one diorama. Like Paul, I too model in 1/87 scale. I tend to keep it confined to a small base.....11"x 14" max so it fits in my display case. I currently have 2 dios. under construction. They are very similar in concept......both are one building dios with interior viewing. I am considering interior lighting for both and there will be the human element of figures added to both. I saw an inspiring photo for one on the i-net and the other more or less popped into my head as I was thinking of trying to do something based on a railroad theme. There has been a lot of improvising on both of these dios as they have progressed. And of course the ideas that pop into mind as I am working on them never cease. When I run out of things to add I'll call them done. Cheers, Rick H.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Wow excellent and very varyied approaches towards each ones dioramas. All unique in their way of execution and thought process.

My dios are normally inspired by other dios or something thats been in the back of my mind for sometime until it gets triggered from what I've seen. Every dio is attempted when I have figured how certain materials work and can be adapted to scale realism. Unfortunately my dios aren't historically correct and I apply artistic license for dramatic effects but still can't get rid of the stiffness of poses. Still trying though.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Another thing I'd like to add. Dioramas tend to expose some weaknesses in our model making or make us all rounders from ground vehicles to aircraft, figures, buildings and finally terrain sea or land.
Have any of you attempted something out of your comfort zone and succeeded?

Cheers
Richard.

Reactions: JR

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Have tried floatys many moons ago and was very dissatisfied w/my attempts at moving water. Tried fixedwingy things decades ago and was dissatisfied w/my 1/48 scale attempts. I was comfortable w/HO scale trains & 1/87 scale military vehicles but have lately tried same scale figs and rotary wing models with some success. I Have done some 1/72 & 1/76 military figs/vehicles in the past, but 1/87 is definitely my comfort zone. PaulE

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Richard In answer to the first part I imagine the dio, then start on the kit. Once that is finished to a point of like putting snow on it I start the dio itself. Base size, followed by the actual type of ground work ht ext.
At times I use the internet to seek out building styles and types.

Tried to have a go at wingy things, not very well, as the scale was 1/72 and too hard for me to build.
Soo stick to what I know and love, esp buildings.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Have any of you attempted something out of your comfort zone and succeeded?

The dio i'm building is my first so yes it's well out of my comfort zone. Also when i build the Stug for Bob's GB it was out of the comfort zone too as it was my first ever armour build.

But as i said earlier. It's a challenge and i'm a bit like Ron. I'm not conforming to any given route for making a dio. This one is a total dio technique mule and so far i'm enjoying it. My next ones are all being planned 'properly'.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I try and keep my bases quite small normally A4 ish in size. I try to take inspiration from scenes i find on line. The trouble I have is a lack of imagination I see finished ones and think what a great idea. I am trying on my later builds to get height into the scene I with buildings or in the ground it self.

SpitfireAce

SMF Supporter
First Name
Tom
I've only done a few dioramas. I don't have the imagination or experience to build as I go, so I draw out the scene (very rudimentary) and even some separate section drawings in a bit more detail. Having said that, by the time I'm finished, the diorama turns out quite different to the initial drawings, so in effect the original drawings turned out to be more of a rough plan/guide.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Great feedbacks from many of you. Looks like a large proportion plan their builds from an image that comes up in a thought...put pen to paper and try as much to replicate that into 3 dimensional form on a base estimated to fill that scene. The difficult part for most even for me is whether it's going to be a tight squeeze or just too much room on the base. Most likely the end result differs from the initial concept unless its following a particular historical scene. Sometimes the end result is disappointing and we have to remember we're not the fellow who created the earth in 7 days but enjoyed it non the less.
For those that have replied and not shown their work, please do. A Tiger tank or a Spitfire will always look like what they are but placed in a diorama will always look different from an individuals perspective.

What's your favorite material when making a diorama base, foliage or building?

Cheers,
Richard

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
This might sound strange, with dios I think that the main 'tool' isn't so much imagination, but observation - details are the 'secret ingredient' where observation comes into play, sometimes it's 'little' things, like muddy footprints, tyre tracks through grass/mud or where a tank has 'scraped' round a sharp corner. Then there's the ones that can break a scene, like two flags supposedly being blown in different directions, a vehicle sat in the middle of a prestine field of grass/muddy area, a perfectly surfaced road in the middle of a wrecked town, a perfectly flat steam of water (guilty). To be fair, some come from the kits, as there aren't many that (unless you build to a dio) you can change the suspension to fit the base, so it'll mean that the vehicle has to sit on a flat surface or have a wheel/three quarters of a track in the air, rather than molded to the ground as it should.
Sorry to ramble on.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
You're not wrong about observation as being key to details. Many take for granted these observations and simply miss them but makes a dio stand out from the rest.

Cheers,
Richard

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Kappa Line Foamboard for buildings, Sea Grass for trees. roots, soil, sand filler, Sculpey Mould for bases as well as insulation foam .