How would you start a Diorama?

D

Deleted member 5496

In the end Si it matters not.

The end result is what matters & the pleasure it gives the builder & the viewers.

One thing I do know it is fun building them.

Also a plus nobody knows if you have made a muck or mistake. :tears-of-joy: ;):rolling:

The other is finding the room. Now have 4 sized at 2.4m* 50cm (8feet* 21").
The room is 9feet*12 feet.

Need room for bed. That is a diorama itself when I am in bed

Last edited by a moderator:

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
Late reply on this, and having a grand total of one dio under my belt (and that just a base really).
I think to begin with it's all about inspiration, wherever you find it. It could be a photo, film, documentary, box art, or imagination. Sometimes the models themselves will fire an idea. Once you have that, ti's a matter of planning, whether that's in your head, or with a quick sketch. Then it's choosing materials and space, and getting underway with it.
For my Dingo I always knew it was going in a desert setting so I built it around that idea. I think future builds will be done the same way. It makes snese to build to make your dio in parallel with the model, since the weathering will be reflected by the surroundings (as someone already rightly said).
All of this to say, you have a perfect exscuse to watch, read and listen to as many books, films, documentaries, TV shows etc. as you like, to mine for ideas. Have fun!

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard

The end result is what matters & the pleasure it gives the builder & the viewers.

Also a plus nobody knows if you have made a muck or mistake. :tears-of-joy: ;):rolling:

The room is 9feet*
Yes it is fun and a way of extending the interest of the kit that was built and putting it in the environment it played a part in real life.

Late reply on this, and having a grand total of one dio under my belt (and that just a base really).
I think to begin with it's all about inspiration, wherever you find it. It could be a photo, film, documentary, box art, or imagination. Sometimes the models themselves will fire an idea. Once you have that, ti's a matter of planning, whether that's in your head, or with a quick sketch. Then it's choosing materials and space, and getting underway with it.
For my Dingo I always knew it was going in a desert setting so I built it around that idea. I think future builds will be done the same way. It makes snese to build to make your dio in parallel with the model, since the weathering will be reflected by the surroundings (as someone already rightly said).
All of this to say, you have a perfect exscuse to watch, read and listen to as many books, films, documentaries, TV shows etc. as you like, to mine for ideas. Have fun!
Parallel building is another interesting aspect to preparing for a dio. I usually leave out certain details not seen if its on a dio for ease of building especially interiors if it is obscured by a figure.

Cheers,
Richard.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Good replies all of you,
Thanks for that Laurie is Si short for Simon? Oooh Lara...I've never attempted a solo female in a dio before, probably turn out like a man dressed in drag. :tears-of-joy:

Cheers,
Richard.

Yep, Simon.

Me and figures are so, so. Now, me and the wingy things...I just cannot do them, don't know why.

D

Deleted member 5496

Yep, Simon.

Me and figures are so, so. Now, me and the wingy things...I just cannot do them, don't know why.

Yes well I do not think me & hands are into tug boats Si. I will do the wings you do the floaters. :tears-of-joy:
I just love Helicopters but Jersey Airport 50& 60's had none land here. At least from photos
& reports. Sad.

Laurie

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.

The room is 9feet*12 feet.

Need room for bed. That is a diorama itself when I am in bed

I agree with you but, I do think the aesthetics of a piece, if laid out correctly can really enhance the story, or the piece. Once that is achieved, like you said Laurie, it is the building and placing and get it to look right, even going back again when you have remembered something-I do this a lot. The fun factor is a lot, I find that scratch making can be great when making dio's, old sticks, dirt, seeds, bit of old cement, anything goes and as you say, make a mess of it-who cares, hide it with some paint or a bush.

Last edited:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I don't think I want to do another commissioned build. Part of fun in doing a dio is having the finished product for display and look at from time to time and this is it... I only have photos.

G245.jpg
G246.jpg

Now what do you classify this as...a vignette or a dio? I think a vignette.

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 5496

I agree with you but, I do think the aesthetics of a piece, if laid out correctly can really enhance the story, or the piece. Once that is achieved, like you said Laurie, it is the building and placing and get it to look right, even going back again when you have remembered something-I do this a lot. The fun factor is a lot, I find that scratch making can be great when making dio's, old sticks, dirt, seeds, bit of old cement, anything goes and as you say, make a mess of it-who cares, hide it with some paint or a bush.
I don't think I want to do another commissioned build. Part of fun in doing a dio is having the finished product for display and look at from time to time and this is it... I only have photos.

View attachment 433863
View attachment 433864

Cheers,
Richard

I have always called them boats Richard. :tongue-out:

Laurie

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.

View attachment 433863
View attachment 433864

Cheers,
Richard

Beautiful, really beautiful model and presentation. I do agree with you Richard, I would never do a commision build again, I have done two submarine wrecks (see pics). The first was going well until the guy started to moan about the price etc, that put me off. I learned and got half upfront for the second but I still felt very pressured. When younger I made things for uni-film projections but somehow, that felt different.
I just build for me, nobody else and, as with any model making, it should be fun-when the fun stops, take a break, box up and tinker with something else.

Attachments

• $_57 (1).JPG
    $_57 (1).JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 4
  • $_57 (4).JPG
    $_57 (4).JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 4
  • $_57 (3).JPG
    $_57 (3).JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 4
  • $_57 (2).JPG
    $_57 (2).JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_9035.JPG
    IMG_9035.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_9036.JPG
    IMG_9036.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9039.JPG
    IMG_9039.JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9049.JPG
    IMG_9049.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9053.JPG
    IMG_9053.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 5

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Great to read all the different approaches to what is the same goal.....A diorama the modeller is chuffed with.

I must confess to being a bit 'loose' with my method. I start off with just a vague idea of what I'm about to attempt. Make a start and then 'Things' come into my nut as I progress.

I rarely go for accuracy. As long as I'm happy with the dio. and enjoyed the build, then all is good.

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 5496

Great to read all the different approaches to what is the same goal.....A diorama the modeller is chuffed with.

I must confess to being a bit 'loose' with my method. I start off with just a vague idea of what I'm about to attempt. Make a start and then 'Things' come into my nut as I progress.
Usually, my only mode of reference is Google Images.
I rarely go for accuracy. As long as I'm happy with the dio. and enjoyed the build, then all is good.

Cheers.
Ron
Ron you have summed up superbly model making. How when & what ever you like.

Laurie

First Name
Kevin
My dioramas are all modelled around a railway theme.
I plan and write down what items I need to model my diorama. You need to remember we are human and sometimes our minds can run away with us which can result in your diorama changing.

D

Deleted member 5496

You need to remember we are human and sometimes our minds can run away with us which can result in your diorama changing.
Yes so right never enough room Kevin.

Laurie

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard

Cheers.
Ron
I too veer from historical accuracy but try to keep the painting, scale and weathering as true as possible. Too much accuracy sometimes can stall builds and if you want to rivet count, most soft skinned vehicles will crumble at a touch of your finger. Planes would have cooking foil thin skinning.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
My dioramas are all modelled around a railway theme.
I plan and write down what items I need to model my diorama. You need to remember we are human and sometimes our minds can run away with us which can result in your diorama changing.
Oh Boy...I'm a number one culprit of changes and letting my mind wonder. :rolling::tongue-out2:

Cheers,
Richard

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Oh Boy...I'm a number one culprit of changes and letting my mind wonder. :rolling::tongue-out2:

Cheers,
Richard

I'm close behind. As a result of hardly ever planning, most of my stuff get's drastic alterations along the way.....It's that unknown bit. That to me, is why I enjoy making dioramas.

Last edited:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I do have a basic plan but that gets thrown out the window as I progress. That process drives me up the wall but I wouldn't have it any other way. :smiling2:

Cheers,
Richard

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I'm close behind. As a result of hardly ever planning, most of my stuff get's drastic alterations along the way.....It's that unknown bit. That to me, is why I enjoy making dioramas.
Heck 570, we just thought you were looking for new places to park your coffee cup! :tongue-out3: :smiling3:;)