Howto clean a brush (dried acrylic paint)

S

Stevekir

I forgot to clean a good quality brush of its Vallejo Acrylic paint. It set hard. I washed it with washing-up liquid but there are still traces of paint. Is there a liquid that would do a better job?

Thanks.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
with my one Steve,I will pour some AB/cleaner into the cup,and let sit for some time,until.

Im able to pull the needle,out without bending or doing any think silly to it,maybe give it a

few turns as well,once out,soak all the parts and clean them,up,once back together,

some what of a cup of AB/cleaner,then some windex,and water to flush it out, :smiling3:

hope this is of some help,

D

dubster72

As I'm thinking it's a hairy brush, not an airbrush, I'd give cellulose thinners a go - it's worked for me before

First Name
Adrian
As above, cellulose thinners works for me too. I hold mine in a small pot with a peg so the bristles don't touch the bottom.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
oh yes Patrick,your right,ooops ;)

that would work Patrick and even what I do is soak in some type of thinners,and then once clean,wash with some warm water with soap,

I do the same as Adrien,

J

John Rixon

Cellulose thinner is good, but when washing it, I'd stick to cold water always, with any decent brush! It'll take a bit of time, but with persistence, it'll be ok. Ploy lens brush restorer is pretty effective too!

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
if not celly thinners then brake fluid, or mr muscle oven cleaner

J

Jase

You really should not use washing up liquid it leaves residue that can interfere with paint.

I use this product (see link below) its fantastic and will restore a brush with dried hard paint. just remember to dry your brush with the bristles pointing down so the water and cleaning substances does not get absorbed into the base and break down the glue of the bristles.

http://www.artdiscount.co.uk/the-masters-brush-cleaner-75ml.html

and a link to using it

Jase

S

Stevekir

Thanks folks. I used Mr. Muscle Oven Cleaner as Paul said (it's handy in the kitchen and water-washable). Worked a treat.