HP Victor B1 (or maybe B2)

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
This is going to be a long one. It's the revell HP Victor K2 tanker, but will be back engineered (where did I hear that, it sounds good) to a B1 or B2 spec. I have even ordered a book for some reference material (that's a first) and have started to scribe some panel lines (another first) I won't be re-scribing the whole model simply because my patience won't last that long, and I need to be finished by 2011 when Airfix release the Valiant.

A quick look at my book (V bombers) suggests only the B2 had stretched wings, but I haven't confirmed this as yet. Also, some of the B1's were really smooth, with no extra tanks on the wing or refuelling probe, this clean look I think I'm begining to like. It will be a lot of work to remove all the extra wing hardware, but might be worth a go.

I will try to update this thread with pictures, but it's going to be a long time before the end. Even my smallest planes seem to take me forever.

Right, time for lunch, and a good book !!

Regards

Colin M......

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Sounds interesting, what scale are we talking about. I dont know the kit you names, but do like a good V.

Ian M

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Hello Ian,

The kit ( Revell) is actualy the old Matchbox kit. It's going to be a lot of work, many sink marks and awful air intakes (oh no, I'm starting to remember my Vulcan intakes................) and all in 1:72, which I think will still be a it bigger than my 1:72 Vulcan !

regards

Colin M.....

C

Caledonia

Hi Colin, I made this model a couple of years ago, a much better fit than the Airfix Vulcan which I also made. I made mine the bomber variant with the usual grey/green camo and white belly. Cheers Derek

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
View attachment 18626View attachment 18634 So, it's been a slow start. But after reading my book on V bombers (yes, there's my excuse) I'm going to make a HP Victor B1 out of a K2. I've got a great picture of a totally clean B1, no bulges, re-fuelling probes or anything like that. So, to modifying the wings, cut all bulges off and fill, sand etc.............But look at those intakes ! (And I thought my vulcan was a 'bit difficult) There's a seam down either side of the intake to be filled (just like the vulcan) but now we have the air guide / deflectors which don't meet and are a bit too big to deal with. I think I'll start sanding this one outside ! The wings in the Revel / matchbox kit come in four parts, the inner two pieces which house the engines were so badly out of shape, I had to glue them one section at a time ! I've just had a thought, can my Dremmel help ??

Regards

Colin M.......

View attachment 26215

View attachment 26216

Intake.JPG

Mod_to_wing1.JPG

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Work has continued slowly on this one. I thought my Vulcan had a appetite for filler, well the Airfix Vulcan was a 'walk in the park' compared to this one ! The few pics I have here really don't show how much dust I have created, filling - sanding -filling etc etc.....

So, the badly fitting canopy, nearly fits

[/url]

View attachment 18882

The intakes are nearly there

View attachment 18883

Fuselage - this hose housing has to go for a B1 Victor

View attachment 18884

Wings modified - smooth clean look, no fuel tanks etc.

View attachment 18885

The general fit has been very hit and miss. One wing was ok, whilst the other was well off ? I actually glued the wings bit by bit in an attempt to get a good fit. I don't recall any of the fuselage lining up, but at least it only needed sanding with just a little filler, honestly.

So, as my last lot of filler has just hardened, I'll reach for the sand paper AGAIN, and continue. On a plus point, the 'Airdecal' decals for the Anti flash Victor arrived today so at least it will be finished in correct markings, eventually ! But, I reckon I'm still on target to get it finished for the release of the Valiant in 2011.

Regards

Colin M........

View attachment 26407

View attachment 26408

View attachment 26409

View attachment 26410

Canopy_nearly_fits1.JPG

Fixed_intakes1.JPG

Re-shaped1.JPG

Modified_wing1.JPG

K

Kai

Looking good. I have this kit so will watch this one evolve lol

Keep up the good work Colin

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Colin

This truly looks a labour of love and the results look great so far. Getting those intakes so smooth must have been a lot of work but the up side is you will have a pretty limited edition model (I think).

You're a brave man and deserve a big pat on the back for all that filling and sanding> looking forward to the finished thing.

All the best

Paul

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking at the befor and after picture of the intakes and I think you must have shares in a filler company!

Looking really good so far.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Well done. I'd have cut out those dividery/deflectory things (I now FA about jets) and replaced them with some plasticard! I admire your patience and determination to sort them out. Looking good but have you ordered any more filler?

Cheers

Steve

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
So gentlemen, the filling and sanding has come to an end, no it's not that I've run out, it's done. It's done and I've got no finger prints left, all my groves are filled in ! The plasticard idea has been mentioned before and would certainly provide a better looking solution. But they would have to be attached to curved surfaces at the top and bottom of the intakes, a bit trickey. However, with hindsight, I would suggest anyone else in this situation, might really think about the plasticard solution.

Yet again I'm trying pre-shading, this is something I always seem to get wrong. I always loose the pre-shading by using too much top coat, so lets see what happens this time !

View attachment 19003

Regards

Colin M....

View attachment 26518

IMG_0338.JPG

F

Fenlander

I will say one thing for you Colin, you like a challenge ;)

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Graham, I have an Academy 1:72 P40 for my next buid. Nothing challenging at all about that at all...........and I'm really looking forward to it !

But anyway, 'Big Vicky' now has paint. Because of her size and all over colour, I sprayed the bottom one day, and the top the next day. I might have gone from one extreme to the other with my pre-shading. This example of shading seems a bit to obvious, so I might spray the top again just to tone it down a bit. However, this is the trap I always seem to fall into, just a bit more paint and before you know it, all the pre-shading has gone ! I will be using a coat of satin varnish at the end which will alter the effect of the pre-shading, but how much ? I don't know ! So, what do es everyone think ? another top coat, or leave 'Big Vicky' alone ?

View attachment 19008

View attachment 19009

Regards

Colin M..........

View attachment 26522

View attachment 26523

Underside.JPG

Upperside.JPG

F

Fenlander

From what I can see on the pic, i would leave it but it is a matter of personal taste.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
And this is Why I dont do that much preshanding. Just a bit more. Once more. Bugger to much!!!

As Graham said from the pictures I could be tempted to give it a touch more. But then I would probably use the next day post shading :confused:

It pretty close call. Being white does not make things any easier does it!

Ian M

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Well it sure is a tough call. So, I've put a few decals on, which have already 'broken up' the pre-shading in a good way. But I might still apply a touch more top coat in a few select areas (very low pressure) if I'm not happy at the end. And yes, white is a bit of a pain !

Regards

Colin m.........

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Well it sure is a tough call. Colin m.........
It is Colin,and even harder from a photo. You've also got to estimate how much your final varnishes and weathering will tone it down. Like Graham I tend to post shade as I find it more controllable. Having said that yours looks fine to me and that is a big model/aircraft which needs those surfaces to be broken up a little.

Good luck with the white.

Cheers

Steve

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thanks for the input gentlemen. Steve, post shading is something I've only dabbled in (great word - dabbled - I must use it more) but the next and final chapter of my V bombers, the Airfix Valiant, might be a good place to try it out properly.

Thanks also Derek for the pics, the under side photos are very useful. I've only found photos of clean B1's (maybe PR photos) but even these B1's must have got dirty after a long flight. White must have been awful to keep clean. Well, after a bit of weathering this evening, 'Big Vicky' might be ready for the satin coat, well maybe.

Regards

Colin M........

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
It was another 3 month marathon, but 'Big Vicky' is built. Photo's are in the Aircraft pictures folder. Now for something nice and small..............

Regards

Colin m..........