Humberol paint

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
Hi started building an avro shack, but really struggling to spray large areas.
i am using 164 dark sea grey enamel and thinning with white spirit and initally the paint looks good till it drys then it has white puddles....
kinda Like if you painted out side and it rained you get this mottled effect, i tried thick and thin but still no consistent results
any assitance would be greatly appreciated
simon

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
Spot on Gary thank you, it is B&Q white spirit, and from what i have gathered from this article it could just be this white spirit, i have another bottle of white spirit and also i ordered some humberol thinner too try will see how I get on with these
thanks

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Simon
When I used to use humbrols I used this thinner quite successfully.....
It is less pungent than Humbrol. Artist white spirit or Sansodor would also be a better bet than cheap white spirit.
Cheap white spirit is quite aggressive and has many impurities. It is only really fit for brush cleaning. It can also attack plastic joints, as I found out to my cost when I used it as a track wash many moons ago.....the single link tracks that I had carefully assembled on my model became individual links again, complete with horrible white stains :tired:
Hope you sort it out.
Cheers
Tim

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
Thanks Tim, i have some humberol coming the kit recomended the humberol in hindsight i should have used any of the other dark sea greys available but thought i would give it a try, will see how we get on with the humberol stuff fingers crossed it will be okay .
and the low grade stuff will only be used for cleaning from now on
cheers simon