HUMBROL 49 CLEAR? VARNISH

P

Paul Daniell

HI all

have spent the past couple of weeks having a go at the new tooling Airfix me 109 1:72

To be honest the kit is far to fiddly for me and nearly went out the window a couple of times the skill level is defo wrong with this kit as it is aimed at the beginner or younger modeler.

after getting it together and doing the splinter camo paint job which is another thing that make the kit in the wrong skill level (12 different colors of paint to do as oob?) I then decided to do something new and put a coat of number 49 clear varnish over the paint job to help with the decals.

The finish has come out more stained then clear shinny coat.

Can't put a picture up till I get home but it don't look pretty has come out with a brownish streaks.

Have I done something wrong with it? and how do I get it off or am i going to have to paint over it and start again?

cheers Paul

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
If youve used Humbrol no 49 Paul , i think its the Matt finish varnish , that would explain the dullness and the white powdery appearance. The matt varnishes , whether enamel or acrylic all have a matting pigment /agent in them which needs a lot of mixing.If its not thoroughly stirred it can sometimes appear patchy and white. For a pre decal coat you need a gloss varnish to help eliminate any silvering, then a final coat after this of the required finish (matt, gloss ,satin etc.) Are the base colours acrylic too , if so then any attempt to strip just the varnish will probably strip these too. Personally I would try stripping all the paint with some acrylic thinners (careful not to get any on the canopy or it might be a bugger to get clear again) and re-doing the paint job , hope this helps , and let us know how you get on , cheers tony

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
May i ask is the paint you are try to cover enamel or acrilic as humrol do spray for both enamel and acrilic as i got the same with brushing so it may be a start all over again but some one may know more but spray is a better way to go but its your choice.

Peter t

P

Paul Daniell

thanks guys the paint under the varnish is enamel.

think I will try and get as much off as possible with some thinners and start again or I may save it for AB practice when I get one.

If i masked if off and started to paint over it what would happen do you think apart from a thick paint job finish?

Have now been ordered by mini me to move on to our Farley Battle now so will come back to it later me thinks.

Many Thanks Paul

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Try some thinners and use a cotton bud to gently do a wipe, then dry off immediately afterwards.

Si:smiling3:

tanktrack

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
if you have an enamel base coat with acrylic humbrol over the top it may be worth using a cotton bud with water to try and remove it as the enamel would /should be ok with water over the top to remove varnish . if they are both enamel then it is a more envolved removal .

First Name
Dave
Over the years Ive had problems like this with Humbrols matt varnishes.Even after stirring them till my arm nearly drops off.Now I won't touch them.Funnily enough their Satin varnish is excellent and gives a near matt finish without the white patchiness.

P

Paul Daniell

Okay got home last night and cotton budded with thinners all over the rubber of with a damp cloth and........

nothing when dried just looks the same.

Anyone have one of them kits where nothing seams to go right with it? this is my one of them.

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
\ said:
Okay got home last night and cotton budded with thinners all over the rubber of with a damp cloth and........nothing when dried just looks the same.

Anyone have one of them kits where nothing seams to go right with it? this is my one of them.
I got one of them right now its back in the box until i feel like sorting it.

Peter t

P

Paul Daniell

Yeah peter moved on the an Airfix battle from the VC set going together nicely and no fiddle at the min fingers crossed.

anyone know what will happen if i paint over the varnish with enamel?

cheers Paul

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
I

\ said:
Yeah peter moved on the an Airfix battle from the VC set going together nicely and no fiddle at the min fingers crossed.anyone know what will happen if i paint over the varnish with enamel?

cheers Paul
if its all enamel other than a thick paint job nothing should happen.

Peter t