Humbrol ClearFix

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi all Can anyone give me some advice on how best to use Humbrol ClearFix.

Can it be applied to a painted area prior to glueing canopies or other clear plastic parts or do they have to be glued directly to bare plastic. As far as I can see the clearfix looks like very thick polly cement.

Vaughan

First Name
Dave
I fixed the canopy onto my recently finished FW190 with Humbrol clearfix.This was directly onto a painted (enamel) surface and it hasnt fallen off yet.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
As Dave says. You are not trying to "melt" the plastic of the two mating surfaces when you us a glue like clearfix rather than a poly cement. Dip a bit of sprue in Clearfix and nothing will happen to it,dip the same sprue in poly cement and it will dissolve,quite quickly in the stronger concoctions. The join won't be particularly strong onto paint but the canopy will stay in place.

Cheers

Steve

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi Steve thanks for the info that makes sense.

Vaughan

Swagman 070

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
If your worried about using ClearFix, try using ordinary white PVA craft glue. May take a bit longer to dry but it dries clear and I think is stronger than ClearFix.

Steve

First Name
Dave
I normally use Microscale crystal clear to fix canopies to painted surfaces and it works very well.It also seals any gaps.So you dont get paint on the inside when you spray the model and masked canopies.Another good thing about it is any excess can be cleaned up easily and it wont damage paintwork.I only tried the Humbrol product to see if it was better.In my opinion it isnt but still does the job.Comes down to personal preference i suppose.