Humbrol Detail Brushes

A

Awins

Bought myself a set of Humbrol Detail brushes and trued them out last night. I have to say they were utter rubbish for fine detail work. The bristles seemed to part at the end and just moved back and forth rather than apply any paint. I had hoped that these would be reasonable quality. Any reccomendations please.

D

danntheman

I totally agree, got some and same thing happened as yours, got revell and same thing

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I use premier brushes they go as small as 5 0s another good ones are wintons number 7

The premier one is about £2.50 and wintons is about £5 both are equally as good

First Name
Dave
If you have a Range near you they have a good ummmmmm range of brushes that come in packs at reasonable prices or even individually. The do all sizes down to 10/0 and maybe beyond. :smiling3:

D

Deleted member 4539

I use these for most of my hand painting.

Great if you are using slightly thinned acrylic.I also use them with oil paint.(yes they are watercolour brushe's but I find them excellent)

I have Not used them with enamel.

hope this helps.

http://www.jacksonsart.com/Art_Departments-A-Z_All_Departments-Artist_Brushes-Watercolour_Brushes-Pro_Arte_Prolene_Synthetic_Short_Handle_Brushes-Pro_Arte_Prolene_Synthetic_Series_101_Round/c2129_2128_1083_1218_29746_29747/index.html

D

demon

If you want the best get a Windsor and Newton series 7 kolinsky sable size 0 they are the best for holding their shape and the amount of paint they retain but they are very expensive

Roger

D

Dave1973

I use Davinci brushes, as theyre custom made for acrylic paint, and a few AK interactive.

Ive tried many brushes, and although they have great names, after the first ise, you look at them under the magnifier, and the bristles separate and a 5/0 is useless as a fine point.

Davinci brushes cost a fair bit, but are worth it.

B

Benhur

I always buy decent artist brushes. Expensive but ;last for ages and do a good job. Cheap hobby type brushes I have found to be poor quality and don't hold their shape. Reckon as with most things you get what you pay for.

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Tamiya detail brushes. $10 a brush. Expensive but worth it

Artist brushes are always worth it as well

zuludog

SMF Supporter
When I started making model planes years ago the cheaper brushes weren't very good. If you wanted a decent brush you had to get sable, there wasn't much other choice

You can still get sable brushes, but now there are all sorts of synthetic and mixture brushes available.

Get to an art shop or a craft shop like 'Range', have a browse round and try a few different makes

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
i have recently purchased a few of these, 1,0,00 and 000 seem very good at the moment, hold their shape well;

http://www.elgrecominiatures.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d312_Paintbrushes_Series_98.html

T

tommy1drop

I found using small tipped cake decoration brushes worked a treat, they are super fine and perfect for detail work, if you keep them clean, they will last you.

I also used a small plastic end fitted to the end of the brush to keep the shape for the bristles.