Humbrol dropper bottle acrylics - is it me ?

First Name
Jeffrey
So I bought a little job lot of 12 I think it was for about a tenner off fleabay; I don't know if they're the gen 2 ones I've seen mentioned, but I'm having major problems with them. First issue is that I discovered (actually with mig bottles as well) that it's better to take the top off, put your finger on the top, and then shake them, since the tops seem to leak - but with these humbrols, as soon as I remove the top, paint starts leaking upwards out of the hole - I mean, how is that even possible ? My next problem is with white gloss - it comes out like split cream, a blob of colour in a sea of clear liquid - no matter how hard or how long I shake it for first - and the colour just moves around on my model like a blob of 3d grease, it won't flatten, or stay where I put it. I tried with the air-brush, and that seemed to work a lot better, but having dried, the finish was a blotchy as heck, nothing like when I sprayed it on.

So is it me, is there a trick to these paints, or are they, shall we say, "not recommended" ??

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Paint coming up through the nozzle when you remove the cap is, I think, mostly a problem of air pressure: namely, that the ambient air pressure is lower now than the last time you put the cap on. Well, that, and there still being paint inside the nozzle. I have this sometimes too with these bottles from several different brands, and it’s a little annoying, TBH.