Humbrol Filler - Separating in tube?

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Anyone else had issues with Humbrol's filler putty?

It seems to separate in the tube, resulting in a dark goo coming out of the tube and very little filler putty. As it's in a tube one cannot mix it. I've tried mixing the goo with putty on a card surface, but it's rubbish. I had no issues for the first few squirts, in fact it worked very well. But I left the tube for months in a cool place as I was building my wooden project, and now it's pants.

I'm going to get a new tube of Tamiya Basic Putty to replace it and throw the Humbrol filler out. My previous experience with Tamiya Basic Putty has been excellent, my last tube lasted for years without any such issues. Life's too short to tolerate rubbish materials.

Reactions: JR

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I usually had much the same experience with Revell Plasto putty, which almost invariably separates into an almost clear glue-type of liquid and a thick paste. By squeezing out the glue, the putty actually becomes much more usable because it’s not as wet. If you intend to throw out the Humbrol tube anyway, you have nothing to lose by seeing if the same holds true for that :smiling3:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Yes, I've had the same problem with Humbrol filler. I managed to stir it a bit with a cocktail stick, which brought out enough for the task of the time. Now there's some empty space in the tube, shaking it seems to mix it.
Pete

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Joe

Humbrol filler was the first filler I bought when I came back to the hobby several years ago. I've always had the problem of it separating, even with the brand new tube.

I've discovered that gently massaging the tube up and down for a minute or so seems to mix it up sufficiently well, resulting in little or no fluid coming out.

Hope that helps.

ATB.

Andrew

D

Deleted member 7181

Is it a plastic or metal tube?

This kind of separation happens with a few products I use at work, and kneeding the tube gets them mixed back up nicely.

Certain metal / foil tubes can suffer from fatigue and end up splitting though, so be careful and not too vigorous if it's that kind.

Edit: and I totally missed Andrew's reply which says pretty the same thing!

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew

This kind of separation happens with a few products I use at work, and kneeding the tube gets them mixed back up nicely.

Certain metal / foil tubes can suffer from fatigue and end up splitting though, so be careful and not too vigorous if it's that kind.

Glad to hear my theory confirmed by a real life paint expert.

And yes it is a metal tube much like an old fashioned tooth paste tube.

ATB

Andrew

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Dont throw it out Joe ! I too have done as Andy says above and cut open the tube ( mine was just nearly empty though , not seperating) and scooped out the stiff putty , put it in an old tamiya paint jar then added drops of cellulose thinners and stirred till it got to the consistency i wanted ( very sloppy !). I use it when i only want a thin smear of putty and Green stuff or normal Humbrol or plasto would be too thick .

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I usually had much the same experience with Revell Plasto putty, which almost invariably separates into an almost clear glue-type of liquid and a thick paste. By squeezing out the glue, the putty actually becomes much more usable because it’s not as wet. If you intend to throw out the Humbrol tube anyway, you have nothing to lose by seeing if the same holds true for that :smiling3:
Thanks Jakko, it (the goo) seems to never end

Yes, I've had the same problem with Humbrol filler. I managed to stir it a bit with a cocktail stick, which brought out enough for the task of the time. Now there's some empty space in the tube, shaking it seems to mix it.
Pete
Thanks Pete. I too tried cocktail stick/toothpick stirring

Hi Joe

Humbrol filler was the first filler I bought when I came back to the hobby several years ago. I've always had the problem of it separating, even with the brand new tube.

I've discovered that gently massaging the tube up and down for a minute or so seems to mix it up sufficiently well, resulting in little or no fluid coming out.

Hope that helps.

ATB.

Andrew
Thank you Andrew, good to know it's a common enough issue with the product. I'll try massaging my tube :smiling4:

Thank you Andy, I'll give it a go rather than biff it out

Andrew, I had the same problem and now I use the Tamiya Basic putty when a normal filler is needed. The Humbrol one, after the tube, strictly according to plans, split, now is my main source for my homemade liquid putty (putty+Humbrol enamel thinner/liquid cement).

Andrea.
Thanks Andrea. I'm going back to Tamiya Basic Putty but will try to create the liquid putty

Dont throw it out Joe ! I too have done as Andy says above and cut open the tube ( mine was just nearly empty though , not seperating) and scooped out the stiff putty , put it in an old tamiya paint jar then added drops of cellulose thinners and stirred till it got to the consistency i wanted ( very sloppy !). I use it when i only want a thin smear of putty and Green stuff or normal Humbrol or plasto would be too thick .
Thanks Tony. Andy and Andrea also think that's a plan, so I'll mix the remnants of the tube as you say and try to create some liquid putty. It does seem a shame to waste it.

Thanks everyone for your help/comments.