Humbrol Paint Help

L

Lady_Phoenix

Ive just noticed something weird on the Humbrol Paint list, hopefully someone can help me out.

Two colours appear identical

66 and 155

Both are called Olive Drab, and on a printed sheet (Which is inaccurate) both appear the same colour, but are they?

The reason I ask is that I need 155 but as its an external colour I would prefer it in Acrylic, however its not available in acrylic, only enamal.

66 on the other hand is available in both enamal and acrylic.

Are they the same colour.

If someone owns both of these colours or is planning a trip down the shops today could they have a look for me please.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'm not very familiar with the Humbrol colours but there were two "official" versions approved for use during the war. The early colour I can't remember the official designation for but it involved the number41! The later standard was ANA613.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. A cursory examination of contemporary photos shows a wide variation in shades. I don't think this was entirely due to the way the paint weathered. Some aircraft look dark green others virtually brown.

Olive drab is actually supposed to be quite browny/yellow. I'd use whichever you want but add a splash of yellow to lighten it to scale.

Cheers

Steve

L

Lady_Phoenix

Problem solved. My Tamiya Sea Harrier arrived today and Ive just finished converting the paints to Humbrol.

By coincidence one of the colours needed is XF-62 which converts to Humbrol 66.

So Ill go out and buy it and find something to paint in both (Inside of fuselage, coke bottle etc etc) 66 and 155 and Ill see the difference for myself.

Thanks to all for the help.