I.D.F M113 Fitter

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Having built a fitters vehicle some time ago, I had at the time obtained another kit of a different variant. This has sat in the store for all this time alongside the Zelda.

20210119_213743.jpg

20210119_213824.jpg
After getting the Chieftain ARV underway I needed something to fill in during the periods when that build grew a bit stagnant.
So out came several kits from AFV's to aircraft, and back they went, and out they came again, and again untill I finally settled on the old Academy I.D.F. M113 fitters vehicle.

20210119_213425.jpg

First order of the day was to get out the research and this is well covered in the Desert Eagle Publishing book by Michael Mass & Adam O'Brien #9 Part 1 - Fitters.
20210119_213555.jpg
And also Eduard came into the job with a couple of etch sets plus there is going to be some scratchbuilding.
After looking at the kit I decided to replace the floor with etch, first the moulded tread was removed, the sides sanded the interior sanded along with locating points being removed and yes - sanded.
To make the job easier I decided that the interior was going to be built/scratch and this means the hull top will be left off, and that I would work from rear to front, this also means I can work on the hull top without damage.
Number one on the build was the fuel tank. I rubbed down all the moulded detail, had a look at a couple of walk around web sites and gathered the information I needed for the tank/pipes and fittings. These were all made from rod, pewter sheet, copper wire and odds and sods.

20210119_213232.jpg

20210119_213306.jpg
As you can see there is still some pipe work still to be completed (the floor is removeable) before moving onto the tool box and ammunition box storage on the right side.
More later,
Mike.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Very nice indeed Mike, the Scottie ( Paul ) will like this he was in the REME and may have been in them. Looks really good.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Great kit to chose to improve Mike. Off to a stunning start. Keep it comin mate

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Update,
Before I go back to the Chieftain ARV I thought I would show how far along this one has gone.
The fuel pipes and pump are now complete.
20210123_143931.jpg
A bit blurred but you can get the idea. The floor is now in place as well.
Then I moved onto the other side and built up the ammo box racks from pewter sheet along with the retaining straps.
The small stowage box underneath was from plasticard and pewter sheet with scratch hinge and on the other side the fastener.
Next it is the large tool box with sliding doors and inside can be seen the tool drawers.
20210123_143911.jpg
And that is it for today, more after I have caught up with the ARV.
Mike.

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
The pipework is amazing, all the detail going into this build is so impressive Mike, cracking work.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Damn that's some neat scratch work !

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Scottie,
Jim R,
Graeme C,
John Race,
Neil Merryweather
Many thanks for your comments, they are well received.
Mike.

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Update,
Been a bit of a slow week or two, had the first of my jabs on Monday, ended up with a reaction to it and that knocked me off my stride for the week. But pleased to say the second head is now growing well under the UV light.....
So where were we ? The cupboard/tool box is complete and if we look to the other side we come to the hydraulic tank and pipes for the HIAB. The kit offering is pretty basic if you are showing a couple of hatches open...
20210130_121041.jpg
But as I had decided to rebuild/kit out the interior I went with this...
20210206_154902.jpg
Now with the roof removed....
20210206_154955.jpg
The front view...
20210206_154939.jpg
Not too happy with the tiedowns on top of the tank, and there is still more pipe work and electrical work to install. As you can see I had to add to the width of the tank and the item in front of it to match the photos of the original vehicle. The front bulkhead is in place again with a strip on top to make up the shortfall where the original roof (infantry) had a bar running the width of the vehicle (model). There are two oil filters now in place, with one just visible behind the post for the HIAB and the other behind the drivers seat post. A new plate had to be made for the pipe connection box (white block).
And apart for a tidy up of the workbench....
20210206_154643.jpg
That is it for this update - more next week...
Mike.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Mike
I had my jab last week. My arm ached a little for just a day.
As always I'm very impressed with your scratch work. It is always so clean, neat and looks the part.
Jim

Reactions: JR

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Hi Mike
I had my jab last week. My arm ached a little for just a day.
As always I'm very impressed with your scratch work. It is always so clean, neat and looks the part.
Jim
Cheers Jim, only looks clean after the clean up...
I am allergic to Penicilin, so that may have been the problem, none of the reccomended reactions. In bed Monday night, I violently shook for about five hours, could not even hold the paper to read about the symptoms. Mind you she had hers, and the new lining on her tongue looks fantastic, even got racing stripes so she can talk faster......
Mike

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Cheers Jim, only looks clean after the clean up...
I am allergic to Penicilin, so that may have been the problem, none of the reccomended reactions. In bed Monday night, I violently shook for about five hours, could not even hold the paper to read about the symptoms. Mind you she had hers, and the new lining on her tongue looks fantastic, even got racing stripes so she can talk faster......
Mike
Yes, but how's your 5G reception, and has Bill Gates been in touch yet? :smiling5: :smiling:
Pete

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Update,
Been a while since I last posted, so nothing missed....
The pipework, various parts, rifle rack for the driver, electrical wiring etc now inside the hull and primed...
20210215_200321.jpg
20210215_200333.jpg
The wiring that goes across the fron inside has been replicated, and the steering levers rebuilt....
20210215_200351.jpg
The drivers compartment engine bay side wall is also complete....
20210215_200416.jpg
Bit blurred but will do pics once painted.
All that is left of the inside is to complete the roof inside details, ramp actuating rods, wiring for the coms and lamps etc.
20210215_200446.jpg
Again sorry for the blurred images, will do better next time.
Cheers,
Mike.