I have been poisoned with a Phantom F-4

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Guys,
Many of you know I'm not a jet fan but my chat group fellow modelers have poisoned(literal translation for influenced) me into joining their group build. Also there was a sale among the LHS's so it was sooo tempting. I have always liked the markings of VF-111 Sun Downers and the planes they flew. I already have a 1/48 scale F-8 Crusader and will look for decals of the VF-111 for it. For now a 1/72 of the F-4 shouldn't be that hard to finish.
The criteria that would get me to buy a jet is that it needs to have engraved panel lines, not too big, likable markings and features like open canopies. Of course fit has to be good and I hope the Hasegawa kit doesn't disappoint.

F1.jpg

I haven't got shots of the sprues yet. Am looking for aftermarket cockpit and seats but might just scratch or modify from kit parts as they look ok for surgery. As usual Hasegawa doesn't provide ordnance....will have to visit the LHS to get some.
I'll be up against some really good F-4 modelers as they know their stuff from the variants to ordnance and operations...even down to the little alterations to wing and antenna structure modifications that need added or deleted on the kits. This will be a challenge. :smiling6:

I'll start this once I finish the Oxford...meanwhile I'm gathering references on how weathered it looked in operations on the carrier although I know a CAG aircraft gets extra attention with cleaning.

Wish me luck. :smiling2:

Cheers,
Richard

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Richard

As requested, "Good luck".

ATB

Andrew

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Richard well done comin over to the dark side of aircraft builds an yea i love the phantom in the sundowners colours as i love the sharks mouth an eye looks really a mean machine an yes try an get some more weapons on her lookin forward to this build but its a pity i was'nt a 1/32 scale an i have always found Hasegawa to be good on detail an fit
chris

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
What is it they say "A change is as good as a rest". You'll need both a change and a rest after your itty-bitty, super detailed ship.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thank you gentlemen for dropping by with words of encouragement,

Andrew, I need it. :hungry:
Ralph, yes pretty busy indeed. ;)
Christopher, the dark side of jets you mean...would be more comfortable with a propeller on the front or back. :smiling6:
Jim, correct old boy but a rest should have been a nice Tammy Jeep or something similarly easy. :smiling5:

Cheers,
Richard

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Richard no no prop lol but its nice to see one of these built as to me its a mean machine an its colorfull as all the lastetest jets are so drab but i know its to do with camo but the enemy can still pick the planes up dull drab paint scheme or not so im lookin forward to seeing how this comes out as if you build this half as good as that spy ship it will be a cracker
chris

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Christopher, I have the sprue shots and decal sheet below... including the destruction sheet.

F2.jpgF3.jpgF4.jpg

Missed this part...

F5.jpgF6.jpgF8.jpgF9.jpg

Still studying some of the references to the cockpit and seats. I guess I'll be spending more time on the office than the rest of the build.

Cheers,
Richard

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
This Richard looks an intresting build an i'll be followin along
chris

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'm in, even if it is a wingy thing Richard:nerd:. Sure this will be much easier on the eyes than the ship, looking fwd to watching the magic.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Guys, thanks for joining in.

Fernando, a challenge it is. I know my way around prop plane but for jets, even the cockpit is a mystery to me. :smiling5:
Christopher, I hope the interest gets you started on a jet.
John, I don't think it will be, I'm a bit disappointed that Hase has given decals for the instrument panels. Remember the little Karakorum I built in the other forum by Trumpy...well those were molded. Here's a picture of the office of it...

F12.jpg

Anyway I have started on the cockpit getting all the walls and tub aligned and glued.

F10.jpg

The pilots instrument panel came flat and from references the two sides were actually stepped forwards. Luckily the kit came with two panels so I cut the corners of one and glued them on. I carved both with an inward slant.

F11.jpg

At 1/72 it is quite small so it's not exactly a relief from the ship. :smiling2:

Cheers,
Richard

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looks very symmetrical and well modelled Richard, even more considering the scale. Must seem quite large then :smiling3:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Looks very symmetrical and well modelled Richard, even more considering the scale. Must seem quite large then :smiling3:
John, my close up shots can be very deceiving. It would be the same as the Karakorum for scale.

Cheers,
Richard

• Wow
Reactions: JR

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Richard you put Christopher, I hope the interest gets you started on a jet. well ive already built 3 jets on here in the completed models if you have a look an they are the E-E -LIGHTNING /an a F14 TOMCAT / an a F18 SUPER HORNET / all in 1/48 th scale an all with nav lights an landing lights an i also have two big kits to build when tiger is finished

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
HI Richard you put Christopher, I hope the interest gets you started on a jet. well ive already built 3 jets on here in the completed models if you have a look an they are the E-E -LIGHTNING /an a F14 TOMCAT / an a F18 SUPER HORNET / all in 1/48 th scale an all with nav lights an landing lights an i also have two big kits to build when tiger is finished
My apologies...I forgot to put again after jet. :smiling6:

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Looks a nice kit. No flash and not too many parts. The instructions look a bit 'crowded'. Nice start. I rather like instrument panel decals at this scale if you haven't got the pre coloured PE aftermarket stuff.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I couldn't agree more fellas with the two days and the eat package of this kit however on speaking with an F-4 master friend of mine I may have to change the livery to the Marines F-4B version as they would have served in Vietnam. More excuse for weathering.
The Sundowners decals is for the F-4N version which was post war flying from the Roosevelt instead of the Coral Sea. The difference were the two probes above the intakes and probably cockpit instruments.

Cheers,
Richard