"I think you'll be staying the night!"

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I'm starting to feel a bit rushed with all the G.B's, SIGs and SSIGs coming up, so I'm cutting right down on what I originally intended doing, I'd rather take my time than have a time scale to stick to....I fear trying to cram so much in will lead to me rushing...leading to a 'That'll do attitude." That I don't want, so.......

I like trying different aspects of our game, and being determined to get away from anything to do with the military for this G.B., I'm going to have a go at doing a simple country snow scene involving a pub....

As the title suggests, the locals have been caught out by a big dollop of snow, so bad that the Landlord reckons they will have to stay the night in the boozer....Sheer hell!!

I'm going to use a 1/72 00/H0 superquick card pub 'The Swan Inn' for the basic building.( Wot, no pizza!) I've never built one of these, so should be fun. They seem popular with model railway wallas. Being card they are squeeky clean, have no relief or weathering, so I will add both.

Here is the kit.....

View attachment 98555

View attachment 98556

I don't know how it will turn out, but being new territory, it will be interesting....As a last resort, it could always be used to light the wood burner!

Cheers all,

Ron

superquick country pub 004.jpg

superquick country pub 002.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Dont know if you have such a new fangled bit of gear, but take a photo copy of it for future use....

Ian M

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Dont know if you have such a new fangled bit of gear, but take a photo copy of it for future use....Ian M
Good thinking batman!! But is such a thing legal?

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
For your own personal use yes. To copy with intent to sell no

It's like CD's (remember them) you can make a personal "back-up"

If you so chose to build another "based on" the photo copy....

Ian M

D

dubster72

Well you've plenty of personal experience to call upon for this one Ron! ;) it should be fun watching you work your magic :smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Here is the 1/72 Super Quick card kit 'The Swan' pub glued together.

I'd not done one of these before, preferring to make my own. It is a really nice model. Being my first one, I took my time and was surprised how easily it went together. The instructions were spot on, simple and straightforward. All the parts fitted perfectly. Nice window and door glazing.

I like these kits and with a bit of work, would be great for 1/72 dioramas.

Being card, the surfaces are obviously flat, so things like window cills ect. I will have to add. But all in all, a great kit and perfect for a quick fix building. Or as I'm doing, adding more bits, and weathering it. I will get more of the range, no question.

Here is the kit in the raw. The edges and folds of the white card can be seen, but this is to be expected and need touching up. Also the corners need filling and painting...

View attachment 99853

View attachment 99854

View attachment 99855

View attachment 99856

Next up I'll start on the base....

Cheers,

Ron

superquick country pub 005.jpg

superquick country pub 006.jpg

superquick country pub 007.jpg

superquick country pub 008.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That looks very good Ron. Interesting to see it after you have had a tinker with it.

Ian M

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Here is the pub after a bit of fettling. I didn't like the green barge boards, so I painted them all black. Bearing in mind it's a snow scene, I wanted the building to stand out a bit. As it was it was too white and would blend in too much with the snow. The window cills are scrap pieces of polystyrene.

I actually came up with the black half timber idea when I was asleep...Honest!

Luckily, I used to do loads of this during my working life as a joiner working in Chester amongst all the gorgeous old buildings, so I have a good idea how the timber should look....It's my own design made with thin plastic card.

I also weathered the roof and chimney stacks...Why I bothered with the roof I don't know either. It'll be covered with snow!!!!

So here is the finished pub.

View attachment 99973

View attachment 99974

I hope you approve of the 'alterations' folks.

Now I'm off to start the base.

Cheers,

Ron

superquick country pub 010.jpg

superquick country pub 009.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I've just been in the garage and hacked about with some 1" thick polystyrene using an old saw. It is great for building up the height I need for the finished snow level.

The base is about 12" square.

View attachment 99987

Here are some blocks of poly. just roughly stuck down around the building.....

View attachment 99988

The pub placed in the hole! You can see the outline of a lane, car park (and pond, just for our good mate Colin!)

View attachment 99990

A close up....."We'll need a bigger shovel, Quint!"

View attachment 99991

Good fun is this...

Cheers,

Ron

superquick country pub 011.jpg

superquick country pub 012.jpg

superquick country pub 013.jpg

superquick country pub 014.jpg

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking good Ron,and what a time saver,as well,dose come out quite good, ;)

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks folks. I was beginning to think that being non-military, there would be little interest in a cardboard building....

Andrew, that's not what my missus calls me when she sees bits of polystyrene all over the floor!

I am refreshed and happy again.

Cheers all,

Ron

T

treyzx10r

Watching this for sure, its looking really great Ron ! Amazing what our spouses put up with aint it;)

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the post Trey.

Update...

I've given the polystyrene a first coat of 'snow' using tile grout and added a stone wall, plus a couple of entrance gates. I have also started work on the pub pond.....

Here's the pub entrance. I had another happy accident here. See where the damp of the tile grout has crept up the wall? I think it gives a nice effect!

View attachment 100687

More damp.....

View attachment 100688

One of the entrance gates. I only built half of it and shoved it in the snow!

View attachment 100689

The stone wall is made by the same method I used to make the 'ice' for my HMS. Belfast and USS. Burton Island Ice breaker dios, so the method is well documented and I won't bore you repeating it...... Painted with children's acrylic paints.

View attachment 100690

The entrance.

View attachment 100691

The start of the pond. The base is painted with dk. green acrylics and a piece of thin plastic from a food container is then glued on the top.

View attachment 100692

I'll let this first layer go hard, then build up another to get more shape to the snow drifts. Then I'll tackle the pub building and add some bits and bobs, if and when they come into my nut...

Thanks for looking,

Ron

superquick country pub 018.jpg

superquick country pub 019.jpg

superquick country pub 024.jpg

superquick country pub 025.jpg

superquick country pub 026.jpg

superquick country pub 017.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Wicked!

What about the roof of a car just clear of the snow.

Ian M

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Wicked!
What about the roof of a car just clear of the snow.

Ian M
Thanks Ian, if you look carefully at the 4th photo of this last set, you will see something red and blurred;)

First Name
Aaron
Looking really awesome Ron, kinda weird to see a diorama without spackaging some forms of pizza box in it. When I see a frozen lake I remember watching the omen as a kid. Will you use tile grout for the top layer of the snow?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Aaron, yes it is a bit strange building without any Pizza packing around. The pond won't be frozen, just bl***y cold.

Just one more application of tile grout mixture, then I'll just be using dry white powder for the final snow fall. I find this gives the best effect and behaves just like real snow......

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Epic! as is your norm, can't wait to see it all done though I will be following it's progress with intense interest. using "foam" to create height and depth is something my projects of past have unfortunately been lacking but will be utilized in next dio. Carry on! Will be watching and learning ...... All The Best Jim :smiling3: