Tornado 1/32 ADV

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hmmm Might make a good what if. How about a Tornado in DSG and White.........

Ian M.

By the way the German Marine Tonkas do look rather nice, I will see If I can find a decent picture of one.

First Name
Dave
Nice looking build Ian.I fancy trying one of these Hobby Boss Tornado's myself.All the models i see are of RAF Tornado's.So i thought i would post some photo's of Royal Saudi Air Force Tornado F3's.These were taken in 1991 whilst i was working as a crew chief on them at Dhahran airbase in Saudi Arabia.Please excuse my ugly mug in a couple of them!.The large tanks are fitted because at the time they were flying combat air patrol as part of operation desert shield.The last photo is of the 1/48 Italeri kit i built about a year later.

View attachment 30004View attachment 30002View attachment 30006View attachment 30003View attachment 30005View attachment 30007

View attachment 30001

View attachment 35218

View attachment 35219

View attachment 35220

View attachment 35221

View attachment 35222

View attachment 35223

View attachment 35224

IMG_0110.jpg

Tornado007.jpg

Tornado005.jpg

Tornado010.jpg

Tornado004.jpg

Tornado001.jpg

Tornado006.jpg

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
You can get some lovely detailed resin bits for the HobbyBoss kits from Aires (should you want them) Dave. Not many people build saudi jets

First Name
Dave
I only built one because of my association with them.The Saudi's bought 24 in all.They were all painted in the same boring colour scheme.Quite often they would train by dog fighting with Saudi F15''s and usually end up loosing.Not surprising as the Tornado F3 was designed to shoot down Russian bombers.Not dogfight with the worlds best fighters.The F15 can pull 9G with a centre tank fitted,so is a pretty formidable opponent.Sorry Ian,Not trying to highjack your build.It just brings back memories.

C

Caledonia

Dave, I built the HobbyBoss Tornado ADV as well, and just in case you don't know the kit includes decals for the No.29 Sqd Royal Saudi AF, Dhahran 1991. Cheers Derek

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
As interesting as all this is, just to get back on track a bit.

Made a start on the decaling today!!!

Those big firebird decals are fun to put on. It would help a tiny bit if they where cut/punched there where the to blade antenna are also the for the light just behind them. The decal for the tail motif also needs attacking with a scalpel to expose the bare metal heat plate behind the vents on the fin. This has resulted in a bad case of the wrinkles. I am hoping that several large doses of Micro sol will take care of the wrinkles but I am going to have to do some touch up work along the spine. Just to add to the fun; the canopy decal.... I was a bit sceptical about a decal instead of painting the canopy. But as the decal is to short, that problem is no longer a problem. No way was that going on. If you got the front frame lined up, the back one was into the clear area and the middle one half on half off the frame! Also no decal for the windscreen, so that dates the kits version to 2007. Photos from 2006 show it with a red framed windscreen as well.

Out with the masking tape I think.

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Still slogging away at the decals. I got the fire/flame decals down OK'ish, I am now on day two of the great stencil war. God there's hundreds of the little fokkers! I especially loved the walk way demarcations!!! Almost there. Then its the weapons and pylons!

In a bid to regain some sanity, I did a bit of detailing in the cock-pit, a few wires and boxes here and there and canopy, De-mister and rear view mirrors.

Having just demolished a tube of Pringles, I have nice greasy fingers so you will have to wait for the photos!!

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
A little teaser.

Well this is what I have so far.

View attachment 30204

I now just need to add the knock off's and the weapons, paint a few details with a hairy thing then a coat of clear. Throw a wash over it and sort that out then its a finishing coat and she is ready for the roll out!

View attachment 35401

IMAG0030.jpg

F

Fenlander

I can see what you mean about that decal, huge isn't it!!!!!! Maybe you should have masked and sprayed it..... (runs away very quickly, well quickly for a 60 year old fat bloke that is....)

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
No need to run Graham. I was seriously thinking about it should a total decal cock-up have happened.

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
well I think I have reached the end of the run way.

Roll out in the Aircraft completed section.

Ian M