Ian M does the 56sq Lightning/Tornado

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well since the last instalment I have done the legs, I went for the kit ones as they are pretty good. Same for the wheels.

Got the wings on! That was fun getting them to hang the right way. The tail planes in particular were fun. They are a nice sloppy fit in the location holes and had to be held while the glue dried.

The nose ring has had a coat of Alclad stainless steel. I think it looks OK.

Tomorrow I will give it the once over and correct any seam issues I might of missed, then its primer time.

Ian M

View attachment 32358

View attachment 32359

View attachment 32360

View attachment 32361

View attachment 32362

View attachment 32363

View attachment 32364

08032011924.jpg

09032011928.jpg

08032011923.jpg

10032011930.jpg

10032011929.jpg

08032011926.jpg

08032011922.jpg

C

Caledonia

Hi Ian, you are putting me to shame, great work keep it up. Cheers derek

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nonsense Derek. You did half the work for me.

Before you did your build I was going in blind. Following you build yours was a very big help, showing the pitfalls and problems. So I thank you a lot when I'm fettling away.

If my one looks near as good as yours does, I will be happy.

Started the primer this afternoon, and sorted a few knock offs, you know the bits you will always knock off as you work. I've done the top and later I will go at the belly!

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
A little teaser.

Just so you all dont go thinking I've sat on me bum and done nothing this weekend, here are a couple of snaps of the Lighting.

The Red and the black is good old Vallejo model color, the rest are Alclad II.

The whole lot, except where the red was to go was painted with Alclad II black base over a grey primer. This was then given Polished Aluminium, then random areas lightly dusted with clear blue, sepia, violet, red and yellow! Sounds nasty but it was really a very tiny amount and all that was then toned down with further light coats of white aluminium, gold titanium, aluminium, and magnesium! Some of the inspection covers where picked out with either a lighter or darker tone than the surrounding panel.

Whats the verdict?

View attachment 32462

View attachment 32463

View attachment 32464

View attachment 32465

13032011933.jpg

13032011931.jpg

13032011934.jpg

13032011932.jpg

C

Caledonia

Looking good Ian, how do you find the Alclad to work with? I have never tried it myself. Cheers Derek

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks Derek, good to know that some one is watching LOL.

Alclad: Well in a nut shell its a piece of pie. some things are though every important. The ground work. Any chip, scratch, lump, bump or any other marks will show up ten fold! A thing I must pay more attention to next time. Preparation! 100% the single most thing under any paint but under Alclad it is even more so.

Also the base coat. Others here on the site have said that they have gotten great results just spraying over ordinary grey primer. Yes the result is good. HOWEVER if you spray over a gloss black undercoat the effect can be stunning. The real trick is to go at it very lightly and the second the effect shows, STOP. Otherwise the metal effect gets lost and it just starts looking like any other metal paint.

Turn the Air down and the flow down to if your airbrush allows it. The other thing is the way you paint. The normal run of air on - paint on -paint off - air off is fine but the long strokes along the length of the part goes out the window. Short fine stokes almost like you are brush painting. It takes some getting used to. I still found myself painting as if it was ordinary paint.

Being water thin the paint is very easy to clean up after and I would recommend their airbrush cleaner.

Ian M

C

Caledonia

Hi Ian, thanks for the bit of a tutorial, not sure I will ever use Alclad, but as they say, never say never. I am now entering my 'Stealth' period, have just started the 1/72 Zvezda Sukhoi SU-50 or T-50 if you prefer, and will be following this up with the 1/72 Academy F-22A Raptor where I will be mixing Gunze's Super metallic paint. Thanks again Derek

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well the legs are on and the wheels too!

looks as though I got enough weight in the nose as she sits nicely on the nose wheel.

Here is where I'm at right now.

I have the re-fuelling probe to go on, after the decals. The seat has got to go back in. (I took it out for masking the cock pit).

Jet pipes need to go in, the "pilot tube" on the bottom of the nose ring.

Right now its drying after some gloss coat, then its a few details, bit of pin washing and the decals.

View attachment 26585

More later.

Ian M

View attachment 32500

15032011935.jpg

S

Sky Raider

Cracking work there Ian. My boss actually flew in one of these and set an altitude record. I saw the video of the whole thing. It was something he bid on at a charity night. I will get the details and let you know. They did break the record. Unfortunatly the pilot crashed a few flight later and was killed.

Cheers

Andy

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looks fabulous Ian. Excellent paint work. This will be one nice piece of work.

All the best

Paul

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks Paul and Andy. I'm really down to the finishing touches now, Just built and painted the Firestreaks and discovered that I have painted the wrong missil rails!!! Good thing they are not fixed to the pylons!!!

Did a few other fiddly bits last night and the whole thing has now had a couple of coats of clear.

If I can settle down to it its pin washes and oil stains tonight!

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
A sneak preview

Well its all over bar the shouting. Just need to give it a coat of clear. Gloss or satin thats the question. By gloss I don't mean real shiny, just not enough to be shiny but more than satin.... Get what I mean?

Here are a couple of quick shots for your amusement.

Leasons learnt so far.

Alclad 2: The foundation work for this really has to be good bordering on hysterical! Anything less will be seen from a mile away. Ask me how I know.

The excellent Resin parts from Aires apart from being excellent are a pain. The sharp eyed will note a bulge in the wings, due to the thickness of the wheel well parts being vastly thick. In fact thicker than the wing its self. Even after sanding to within a fraction of a millimetre of 'going through'.

The nose cone also sits a little of centre and is a little high in the intake. No amount of fiddling could get it any better.

A bit of a break after this one so I can find time for the spring GB, then its Tonka time.

Ian M

View attachment 32556

View attachment 32557

19032011938.jpg

19032011936.jpg

J

JohnClark

I do not do aircraft but I do like the look of that one. Good finish on the bare metal.

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Wow Ian, i'm lost of words. Looks stunning though mate, top work. I'm drooling looking at it so i'm off before i blow the computer up lol.

Have fun, John

C

Caledonia

Hi Ian, that looks the business, cann't wait to see the finished Lightning pictures. Cheers Derek

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
A very nice result Ian. I'm begging to think I might have to have a go at a nmf plane - it looks really good.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks chaps. Just need the sun to come out when I am at home, then I can take a few snaps with out the flash!

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I was very close to making a start on the Tonka Saturday, turned on the TV and found they where showing the whole of the series "warship" back to back.

That was that day!!! Some great info/images on "Lusty" though so I am calling it research for a future build :tongue-out:

Thanks for that Trey.

I had planed to take the Lightning out side in the sun today and take some better photos. Breakfast with the Aussie GP, the SWMBO reminded my that we are going to her dad's for Sunday Lunch. 2 hour drive there four hours eating (!) 2 hour drive home. T'was a nice day though.

Off to watch "The Pacific".

TTFN

Ian M