Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Right then. As mentioned my efforts for the first SIG build will be these two;

Airfix E.E. Lighting and the Hobby boss Tornado F3, Two kits I have had in the stash for a while. The connection was a total coincidence as one day the penny dropped and I realised that the two where both from the same squadron! They will hopefully look rather good together.

As well as the basic kits, I have some goodies here and on order for some PE and resin for the lightning. The Tonka should be good enough OOB, but if not I have loads of time to find some extra detail for it.

I will post a box top later. I don't think we need to go into sprue shots but if you want to include them, feel free.

Start date for building is set to the 1st. March and we should aim at six months to finish.

I hope you all have fun and If any one wants to join in, just start a thread in this forum.

Ian M

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
ooo shifty fix Sqd aircraft lol

C

Caledonia

Hi Ian, looking forward to this, are you going to do them together or one at a time. I think you bought your wheel bays from Hannant, if so check that you have both wheel bays, my Item 13 was missing. Cheers Derek

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks for the heads up Derek. Just had a look and they are both there. I got them as a Christmas pressy, but the came from e-models. I think I will do them one at a time. Said that before though so I'll probably end up doing them together. As long as I stick the right wings on the right fuselage, it will be OK.

I must say that your build of the lightning is going to save ma loads of time and hassle.

Will you be joining in the fun Derek. Go you know you want to....

Ian M

C

Caledonia

Hi Ian, thanks for the invite, but I will just doddle along at my own slow pace, especially as my Tornado is finished. Glad all your bits were their, when I saw the two colours of resin parts, I thought yours might be like mine. I am hoping to finish my lightning as the attached photos I took in 1967/69. Will need to make up my own decal serial numbers, but thats not a problem as I did some in my 'Where Eagles Dare' Junkers JU 53/3M last year. Cheers Derek

p.s. XR728 is the one preserved at Binbrook, they were not sure if it had flown with the large Eagle on the tail, until I sent them these photos..

View attachment 31137

View attachment 31138

View attachment 31139

XR728 Take off Leuchars 1967.jpg

XR728 RNAS Lossiemouth 1969.jpg

XR728 Leuchars 1967.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well the start has been a little held up due to a rather tenacious Avro 504k that refuses to co-operate! Still it gives me time to find some PE for the Tornado. I have been looking at the Eduard sets for this kit and they are not to shabby at all.

I hope to start in the weekend when I have a bit more time/room.

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Due to having seen the Resin bits from NeOmega in one of Derek's builds, I have put the Tornado back on the shelf and dragged the other one down. Yes I will be starting with the Lightning while awaiting the seats for the Tonka.

Just to break from the norm, I am not starting with the cockpit!!! I thought I would start with the wings. Having seen the fun that Derek was having with his, I thought "If I can get those out of the way" ....

So here is the root of the problem:

The existing wheel well it to say the least boring. Totally devoid of any detail. Aires make some rather lovely ones in resin. Unfortunately these dictate the the wits ones must go.

The wheel well walls were cut of with a new blade in the knife and deposited in the bin. Now the tricky bit. The wing has a thickness of 5mm. After sanding the wheel bay from Aires down to the part, removing the casting block, the part was still 8mm thick.

A rather long and tedious and frustrating hour was spent sanding the backside off the wheelbay to within a quarter of a mm of going through. The last of the excess was shaved off the inside of the wing, thinning the plastic to a more scale like thickness and the last bit came of the actual sides of the wheel bay walls.

After all that I ended up with this!

So one down one to go.

The big question that was running around in my head was; Are Aires aware that this part is almost twice as thick as the wing it should fit in?

Spent the last hour cutting and trimming the remaining parts from the casting blocks and having a good look at them. They really are rather nice.

More later.

Ian M

View attachment 31994

View attachment 31995

04032011885.jpg

04032011886.jpg

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Was the info any use to you Ian? I'll try and find some pics out for you to show you what i ment

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Yes thanks Allyne. Sorry I forgot to reply but yes it was most helpful. I have ordered the seats and been looking in the paint locker.

Ian M

C

Caledonia

Hi Ian, nice job on the wheelbay, I know they are a pain, but well worth it. Keep up the good work. Cheers Derek

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Agreed! total pain in the rump but they look 1000 times better. Got the other wing done this AM. The wing has come up a little thicker than I would of liked, but if I carried on sanding and shaving, there would be holes where you least want them!!!

Have also done the front wheel bay/intake/radome thing this morning.The paint is drying as I type. I have taken photos, and will post them later.

This afternoon I have turned my attentions to the office. Cleaned and put in a stick ready for some primer, along with the rather nice bang seat and side panels for the pit.

My Saturday luxury of a bar of chocolate, has put the mockers on more building until devoured!!

Discovered that I now have two options for a 56sq bird. The one with the all red tail and leading edges as per the display aircraft AND the 'Ordinary' red/white chequer tailed one. Now I don't know which I like the most. The Chequer tail is an F3, the display one an F1a so I need to decide very soon!

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well got the picture side of things sorted.

So here they are and hopefully in some kind of order.

After having fought, I mean built the wings, The next parts where those that are to go inside the fuselage. The intake-pipe and nose gear bay. Oh and the cockpit.

Yet again the hobby knife had a large part to play in fitting the radom/UCbay into the intake pipe.

View attachment 25890View attachment 25881View attachment 25883View attachment 25892View attachment 25882

Here are the radom and nose wheel bay and the two half's of the intake pipe. As you can see there is a lot more detail in the resin gear bay. I is also a lot deeper. Should be fun to paint. The Intake pipe has to lose the kits wheel bay.

The nose wheel bay - Radom unit after having some Alclad II White allu thrown at it.

Right, the cock pit- Also from Aires, is rather nice. Detail is fantastic and I just know I am going to cock it up painting it!!! (Oh yeah!). The seat is also very crisp. As of yet the straps and webbings are still on the PE fret. There is a nice little film to go behind the PE "dash board".

View attachment 25885View attachment 25884View attachment 25886View attachment 25888View attachment 25880View attachment 25891View attachment 25889View attachment 25887

As far as colours go I think I have it sorted, unless some one can tell me that the colours in an F1a are totally different from an F3.

Ian M

View attachment 32003

View attachment 32004

View attachment 32005

View attachment 32006

View attachment 32007

View attachment 32008

View attachment 32009

View attachment 32010

View attachment 32011

View attachment 32012

View attachment 32013

View attachment 32014

View attachment 32015

05032011899.jpg

05032011888.jpg

05032011892.jpg

05032011889.jpg

05032011895.jpg

05032011894.jpg

05032011897.jpg

05032011901.jpg

05032011903.jpg

05032011896.jpg

05032011887.jpg

05032011902.jpg

05032011891.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well got the cock pit painted and the ejector seat is all done and prettied up.

Just got to get it to fit in the Fuselage now. Maybe tomorrow.

View attachment 25904View attachment 25908View attachment 25907View attachment 25906View attachment 25909View attachment 25905

Seeing them on a huge screen, I can see there are a couple of touch ups required!

So will it do?

Ian M

View attachment 32027

View attachment 32028

View attachment 32029

View attachment 32030

View attachment 32031

View attachment 32032

IMG_2820.jpg

IMG_2816.jpg

IMG_2814.jpg

IMG_2819.jpg

IMG_2817.jpg

IMG_2815.jpg

K

Kressy13

Looking good Ian. I'll be starting mine when I get home from holidays. Just spent the last 2 days at the Avalon air show in Melbourne. Plenty of pics and vids. Anyway keep up the good work.

Cheers

Kresten.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks Graham, Thanks Kresten.

Hope you had a good time at that airshow! Are you going to post some of the photos?

Started to attack the exhaust end of the jet pipe. Just given them some primer, and undercoat. Again Aires stuff. I have never used their stuff before but this will not be the last time. Its rather good (if we don't look at the over thick wheel bays!!!). Sharp detail clean castings and the small parts are very lightly attached to the casting block. Their PE is also some of the finest I have ever seen. again the attachmant points are very fine and easy to cut.

Photos later.

Ian M

C

Caledonia

Hi Ian, you are storming along their, looking great. Bet you loved all that scraping and sanding on the wheelbays. The exhaust on the other hand just falls into place. Cheers Derek

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I don't know if I am flying through this Derek, I had a day off Friday, and most of Saturday and today have been shared between this, the weekends shopping, (always fun) and the odd bit of TV. Being a knackered old fart does have its good side lol.

After turning the shed upside down to fine a bit of lead, I managed to get the two half fuselage together. There was a bit of sanding and scraping needed to get the cockpit module to fit but it's sort of there.

The little part behind the cockpit has lifted a bit as the glue dried, which is a pain. It will need cutting off and doing again! Thats going to leave a scar!

But the fuselage went together with out to much drama.

As Derek said, the tailpipe fell together. Deep down in the depths is even the injector ring! A touch of Dark Aluminium and jet exhaust from Alclad and it almost looks the part.

Just looking at the legs and wheels. I might just use the kit parts for this build and save the metal ones for the F6 later. I will see what they look like after clean up.

Ian M

View attachment 32059

View attachment 32060

View attachment 32061

View attachment 32062

View attachment 32063

06032011920.jpg

06032011917.jpg

06032011919.jpg

06032011921.jpg

06032011918.jpg