I am holding off on the decals at the moment. Been working in the garden and have a serious case of the shakes in my hands and arms. So rather than make a mess of the decals I built a spitfire and am painting that at the moment!!!!
I might do the tail this afternoon, then its on to the wings, then the fuselage. That should keep me quiet the next few days. The met office say there is rain on the way, so that might help me get on with it!!!
It would seem that my masking for the demarcation from grey to orange was not that accurate!!! This has resulted in a nice grey area between the tear off decals and the orange.
Does any one know of a very safe way to mask over decals?
I was thinking along the lines of maskol masking fluid. Having never tried it over decals I was wondering if others have tried and how successful it was, i.e. did it leave the decal behind on the kit or did it pull it off with the mask.
The funny thing was I was so close to buying some friskit masking foil in the model shop this AM but thought nah, what would I use that for....... Now I know.
Any other suggestions greatfully received.
This is how far the spots have spread. The process has slowed right down due to the fact that there are way to many decals that have the same number. Even on the plan the numbers are shown several times. Now if the decals were the same no problem but as four very different shapes have the same number, both on the plan and on the decal sheet........ Confusion sets in and each one has to be found and compared to where you intend to put it. Pain in the bum! I had hope to have the spots sorted today!!!!
OUCH!!!! Thats a real kick in the you know whats!!! If we're tossing ideas into the ring, how about trying cling film? Maybe if you placed it taut over the area with the decal and then carefully cut along the edge with a new blade (being see through would be a great help here) then spray the orange and hopefully remove without pulling the decals off? Just a thought, obviously i'd give it a try on some scrap first, the only other things i came up with were blu tack or maybe post it notes, both being sufficiently low in tack as to not disturb the decals. Good luck whatever you try it'd be a real shame if it didnt work out,i cant wait to see this one finished, cheers tony
Well as I have said in the "painting" section (more chance of more people seeing it I thought) I have resolved the problem with good old Tamiya masking tape. I just removed all but the last of the sticky, put it on and cut it with a new scalpel blade. Not the easiest stuff to see through, but It was good enough. A few touch-ups with the hairy stick after and it now looks like this.....
LOL Trust me these went on in half hour sessions! Things did go a bit tits up towards the end, some of the decals refused to be found, some just could not be there. So it's not 100% accurate!!!
Pleased to say that I got the last of the decals on today and once they have had a chance to dry, its time for a top coat. Being a newly painted machine on her first run (and last :-( ) she was still very clean and bright as a new penny, so gloss coat and no weathering.
Just need to put the legs on along with the tailerons and speed breakes.
Then I need a run way and a drag chute.....
More later. I have a hedge that needs cutting!!!! :-(