Ian M; Madness will surely follow.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Ian, i remember when i made this one the detail was a bit soft in places too,at least it has engraved panel lines ,the airfix tornado f3 i had (note past tense, i got rid of the dog!) had a horizontally split fuselage with raised detail on the upper part and engraved on the bottom !!!??? Maybe the toolmaker got sacked midway through the master being made!! tony

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Soft is just about the right word. I could of said fuzzy as well. Still the bottom was almost devoid of detail, you could just see where the panels should be. So some good photos, a steel rule and a pointed scalpel, soon put things back. The Deeper fuzzy panel lines; some looked a lot better after a quick scrape and scratch with the point of a nr11 blade!!!

Just found some great pictures that should help with the flaps.....

Pictures as soon as there is some thing worth shooting.

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
I will keep looking in on this one to see the master at work
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
How to make a pigs ear out of a silk purse...

Well still not cock pit!!!

I have found a few more bits that can get chopped off and patched up, before the two halves of the fuselage have to come together, so have done those. I guess that the undercarriage could get a once over as well.

Here is the chop job so far:

The molded in flaps and Aerlions where cat off the wing. The aerlions had to be rebuilt as the last cm of the wing is molded in one, ie top and bottom as one part, the Humps where sort of crash molded from hot sprue and a milliput form made off the original part. Not perfect but good enough. A few bits of plastic card sorted out the few other bits.

View attachment 30999 View attachment 31000 View attachment 31001

I chopped out the bulkhead that the kit had at the rear of the main gear bays main doors. It just aint there. The plastic is being thinned to a more scale thickness for the edges of the doors. The Inside of this area has been blanked off with plastic card to prevent the dreaded look though, as have the intakes.

View attachment 31002 View attachment 31003

A few pipes, wires and boxes in the bays that can be seen should liven things up a bit in there.

Right, I'm off to have a look at the main U/C legs to see what can bee done with them.

Ian M

View attachment 36101

View attachment 36102

View attachment 36103

View attachment 36104

View attachment 36105

IMAG0113.jpg

IMAG0114.jpg

IMAG0115.jpg

IMAG0116.jpg

IMAG0117.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Received a package from NeOmega today! The cock-pit for the JAG and one for Lightning F 6.First look all seams to fit and the detail is amazing!Needless to say the cock-pit it now in primer and will get some ppaint tomorrow.Very good casting and only one part needed a saw, all the others could be cut with a scalpel.Piccies tomorrow.Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Better late than never.....

Sorry that the photos took so long. I have been full of snot and coughs all week and just cant do a thing other than drink tea, sleep and pee! Anyway I made my self do it so you can see what I have done. If not for the cold I would of been a lot further along!

The NeOmega cock-pit was a dream and I think it painted up rather well; Black grey with a bit of extra black. Dry brushes with some white and medium grey. A few knobs and dials picked out to liven it up a bit. I managed to break one of the holders for the HUD off handling the glare panel so I will have to bodge some thing together there! It fitted rather well except at the very front of the afore mentioned panel. A bit of milliput took care of that. The rear bulkhead panel will go in at the back end of the build. The seat is nice and crisp, if only I could say the same of my painting of it.

View attachment 31162View attachment 31166View attachment 31165View attachment 31163View attachment 31164

One of the problems to solve are the wheels/tyres. They are rounded and smooth but should flatter and with ringed treads. Not sure how to get round that one yet. I also started to play with the U/C legs. nothing super accurate. just a few pipes and cables here and there, sort of where they should of been!! I also think the flaps look OK to now that the wing is on.

View attachment 31171View attachment 31170View attachment 31169View attachment 31168View attachment 31167

Time for another cuppa!

Ian M

View attachment 36234

View attachment 36235

View attachment 36236

View attachment 36237

View attachment 36238

View attachment 36239

View attachment 36240

View attachment 36241

View attachment 36242

View attachment 36243

IMAG0118.jpg

IMAG0119.jpg

IMAG0120.jpg

IMAG0121.jpg

IMAG0122.jpg

IMAG0126.jpg

IMAG0127.jpg

IMAG0128.jpg

IMAG0129.jpg

IMAG0130.jpg

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi Ian. Some good work there!

I've read about folks mounting wheels/tyres in a Dremel and using a knife blade or file to score grooves or create a flatter profile; although that will depend on the thickness of the plastic. To flatten them a little to represent weighted tyres, you could try dipping them in hot water and pressing them against a hard surface - I assume that's what you mean by flatten. Does that help?

Gern

PS My apologies if I'm trying to teach grandmother! :lol

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
lol. Its not a flat spot I am after as the plan is to have it in the air, just before it hits the hard. It was more the profile of the tyre. The ones in the kit are very round, like a motorbike tyre, whereas in the photos I have seen, the contact area is flatter, more like a car tyre. If you know what I mean.

I found a tip an other place where he held the tyre flat on the desk and scored the tread lines with a needle. to get them even, he just used different thickness of plastic card to support the needle. If I can find a couple of wheels to practice on I might give it a try.

Thanks for the hot water tip, I normally press them down on a heated plate....Some times it works. Other times..... not so good.

Ian M

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Ian, i thought the tyres looked spot on, they were after all designed to be able to be used in rough field applications, hence the balloon like appearance and twin wheels. Have a gander at this pic , they look very round in profile http://www.ukairshows.info/2003/airshows/duxfordoct/photographs/jaguar_taxy.jpg hope this helps cheers tony

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Think you are quite right about the tyres, I was looking at a load of photos the other evening and they are all "balloon" type. The one photo that had rather flat topped tyres just happened to be the one I place my judgement on!!! Typical.

Put the windscreen on last night and was just about to mask off the hole of the cockpit opening when it dawned on my. This Bird it in flight, so the lid will be shut. Also that rather nice resin seat was missing some thing. A Pilot!! Lucky enough I had a modern(ish) pilot from a Lightning I think. Bit of hacking and chopping off the harnesses from the seat and he fits perfectly!

Just got to paint the little bugger. What would that be for modern RAF? Green flight suit and lid?

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Word of caution. When you get out of the arm chair and say to the wife you are going to paint the figure in what ever you happen to be building, say just that. DO NOT Get up and say "right then I'm off to paint my little man".

Good thing it was only water she was drinking. Saved the coffee table from a fate worse than death.

Any way I thought it was funny.

Well here he is.

View attachment 31350

Not brilliant but it will do.

Quite a problem getting the seat and him in the cock pit and being able to get the canopy in place. As per the norm he got the leg job, so he could be there, The worst was that I had to cut 3mm off the bottom of the seat!!! :confused: After which he needed both his arms breaking. Poor sod! Still he's in place now and once the CA has had a day or two to damp off and all the vapour is gone, I can stick the lid on.

Ian M

View attachment 36402

IMAG0131.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Ian didnt the jag have a pilot in the kit? I put a pilot in mine but cant remember whether it came with it or i burgled it from another kit. tony

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
You must of burglised it for another kit. There is no pilot in the instructions either.

Just glued the lid on and will leave that to set up before I can fill the tiny gap at the bottom and one corner.....:confused: I think I must of sanded the bottom a bit to much. Ops!

Oh, I have also painted the inside of the bays and doors. A colour I believe they call in the RAF Vomit yellow. lol

Ian M

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Thinking about it ian , i think i borrowed it from the airfix 1/48 tornado f3, its about the only good thing about the kit!!!LOL. here he is

View attachment 36433

P1040169 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well I got a little package from the shop yesterday, thanks for the usual good service John, So I am now up to my bum in paint and masking tape.

I have have to take a photocopy of one of the decal sheets so I have some form if guide for masking. Trust me this will be a test. The Rip-off effect on the change over from Orange to Grey is very narrow, in places less than 1mm. so either I am going to be lucky with the masks or you will see an old man cry!!!!

Talking of orange paint. I dont know if any of you have a Vallejo colour book, but the Two orange colours the have, clear orange and orange red are I feel to bright, so I have gone for Orange red with a drop of clear brown at 10:1 looks ok on the test bit. but I am not that sure. Anyone got any good suggestions for an orange colour that would be close enough....

View attachment 31409 View attachment 31410 View attachment 31411

Also is there any one that would like to hazard a guess at the size of the chute. I'm guessing about the width of the tail planes.

And these are still not the picture I am aiming at :tongue-out:

Ian M

View attachment 36457

View attachment 36458

View attachment 36459

xx119chute02800_728.jpg

31209.jpg

xx119cgy210607takeoff02800_199.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well after an unforeseen day off, I had an afternoon where I could take a run at this.

Made masks from a photocopy of the decals for the demarcation between the Grey and the Orange. Then it was time for some rather bright paint. Not to worry, the test paint dried a tad darker.

Well here you go.

View attachment 31456

Masked and painted. Lets hope this all works and fits the decals.

View attachment 31458

Bugger I painted the white at the wrong angle and to far back. Touch up time already!

Ian M

View attachment 36492

View attachment 36494

IMAG0133.jpg

IMAG0134.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Had a bit of fun with yards of masking tape today, I did all the wings leading edges in black and the wheel bays and air break bays got another go with the vomit yellow.

Sorted out the white bit on the nose that should not have been there as well.

The Tail fin is not getting more paint as its one big decal. Well three bits on each side actually.

So we need to give it a coat or two of clear, before I start on the decal work....... :confused:

'

View attachment 31573 View attachment 31574 View attachment 31575 View attachment 31576 View attachment 31577

I really wish I had a few more of these Jaguars, they build up quite nice. If I can find another (without paying silly e.bay prices) I might go for the twin stick conversion and due its partner. Hmmmm.

Ian M

View attachment 36595

View attachment 36596

View attachment 36597

View attachment 36598

View attachment 36599

IMAG0136.jpg

IMAG0137.jpg

IMAG0138.jpg

IMAG0139.jpg

IMAG0140.jpg