Ian M's 1/32 scale Bf 109G-6

D

dubster72

It's a nice kit to build Ian & fits together very easily. There's only a couple of things to watch for - pick which version you want to do & mark the instructions accordingly. I found it all to easy to mix & match bits for early and late variants.

The upper wings are split into 2 parts. Going against the instructions, I found it much better to join the inner sections to the fuselage first to eliminate any gaps. This also minimises the join to the outer sections.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Cheers Patrick I'll watch out for that and good tip for the wings, thanks.

S

Stevekir

That voluptious-looking object under the fuselage, is it a bomb (unlikely on a fighter) or an auxilliary dumpable fuel tank? If the latter, German-occupied France would not have presented range problems, I think.

D

dubster72

That voluptious-looking object under the fuselage, is it a bomb (unlikely on a fighter) or an auxilliary dumpable fuel tank? If the latter, German-occupied France would not have presented range problems, I think.

It's a fuel tank Steve.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Had a look at the destruction's over a cup of coffee and will go for the early one. Not being "at home" with German fighters I might need a bit of help with a few of the colour call outs. The interior colour for an 109g. RLM66? There is a lot of what Revell call Light olive, mostly internal stuff and the U/C struts and the like. RLM 02 ?

Just need some good reference pics now..... Google time!

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Hi Ian

I look forward to this one.  Use RLM66 for the cockpit interior and RLM02 for other internals as that was the primer colour.  I would suggest ignoring most Revell call outs and investigating the right RLMs for the specific subject you are depicting from scratch.  There is a lot of information out there to help.  

If you are using Vallejo I would suggest looking at their new colour sets as they have made a lot of changes and brought out better RLM colours in their Air War Series paints.  The AK Interactive sets are pretty good too and in both the AKI and Vallejo sets you may find the colour information you need.  

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Cheers Barry, I have some Xtracrylix RLM colours and have the Camouflage colours, I was just not sure on those to internal colours as, as you point out, the Revell call outs are pretty helpless! So RLM66 in the cock pit, RLM02 for all the primer coloured bits.

Dont s'pose anyone has a colour profile of Werk nummer 160 717 while it was in Italy, Was the Camouflage the same just with the White Spinner, tail band and wing tips And with out the Yellow under cowl ---

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
will be keeping an eye on this one,Ian,should be a big build, :D

K

Kressy_13

Nice looking kit Ian. I'm sure you'll do a great job. Looking forward to the progress. 

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Excellent subject.

Just a quick thing- the title says G-2 and the box says G-6. Unless you are doing a conversion, it is a G-6 right?

John

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
LOL. I had not noticed that John. Thanks. I have edited the title.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Morning peeps!

Well I got the box opened and finally took the sprue shots so here they are. The moulding is good with some fine detail and just a bit of flash here and there, nothing to panic about. 

Under orders from SWMBO to take a day off and relax (Apparently I have been working too hard). So I might even get to make a start on this today! 

DSC_0253.JPG

DSC_0254.JPG

DSC_0255.JPG

DSC_0256.JPG

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well then Two years with out sticking plastic has left its mark! I really need to pay attention and go slow. Anyhow. We got the cockpit done. The detail was OK and went together with out any fuss. Trying to take a photo of it was more like trying to take a photo of a black cat in a coal hole so I gave up on that! its going to be lid down anyway so not a lot to be seen.
This is where we are at right now.

DSC_0260.JPG

The coal hole, sorry I mean cock-pit.

DSC_0259.JPG
Got the two halves of the fuselage together, Found out that I had forgotten the top part of the oil cooler... Bugger. Managed to get that in via the motor compartment, after trimming the location tabs off the fuselage! Oh I managed to snap off the propshaft that should be interesting later...DSC_0261.JPG
Just about to start fitting the wheel bay walls and coolers...

You can just see on the instructions that for the top cowl there is a choice of two; 44 and 43(i think) It does not say early or late so which one!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian

It is indeed a fuel tank and they had a text on them to the effect of "This is not a bomb, if found return to the Luftwaffe base" I believe there was a reward offered for them to encourage people to return them. I wonder if it would have been smarter if they wrote the message in French or English, I can imagine that a good few could make the mistake between Kien and Kliene... One meaning not the other little....

D

dubster72

Looks like you've got the Monica bug Ian! You're racing through this one :smiling3:

With regard to the cowling options, I think the late version has smoother bulges for the upper MGs. I can't remember which is which so some dry-fitting should make things clear.