Ian M's Bofors 1/35 Bronco

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well I have had this sitting in the stash for ages, I might even get to build it now...
DSC_0791.JPG DSC_0792.JPG
And If I can score one for chrimbo or BD I might just get hold of a tractor for it....

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Snap!
You and I will very probably be doing the same kits, Ian. I've got the IBG gun tractor so if you get that we'll be GB twins!
Cheers P

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Strewth, now we have three 40mm Bofors for the G.B.....I'm gonna have to ban any more!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I could do a crusade III mk I if you would prefer that... ;)

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Snap!
You and I will very probably be doing the same kits, Ian. I've got the IBG gun tractor so if you get that we'll be GB twins!
Cheers P
So have I LOL I built it ages ago and forgot I had it. Old age you know :rolleyes::eek::mad::confused:o_O

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I could change my build but I seem to be coming up with the same problem as the flak 37. I've got a modelwagen I'd love to do but I envisage it being used against british Paras (some of em landed in gliders!!!!) does that count? LOL! In fact, I could include a Horsa wing as proof!

Or, I've also got a SdKfz 10/5 but again I see that used at Arnhem against the Paras. Failing that I could do a flakvierling on a rail flat wagon but I was saving that for a much bigger project.

If the Modbelwagen hits the criteria I'll do that and cut down the number of Bofors builds
Whatdya think?

Cheers
P

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Just a quiet, gentle leg pull, chaps.......Build whatever, whenever, you want.

Cheers,
Ron

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Cheers Ron, I'll do the Mobelwagen then. They were used early in the Arnhem battle (ie during the drop) so it does fit the criteria.
I'll save the Bofors for a later build so Ian can do his.

Whereas I did feel the flak 37 build would be described as more of AT diorama I think the Mobelwgen fits the AA build much better.
Thanks both
P:smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
With all this chatting going on I forgot I had this thread.....I made a start on this yesterday and forgot to do the sprue photos!
I will sort this out as soon as possible and before I build any more.
A question. Back in the day, Airfix did a 1/72 bofors gun and tractor set.... was that a Scammel pioneer that was the tractor for this?

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Better late than never:
DSC_0904.JPGDSC_0905.JPGDSC_0906.JPGDSC_0907.JPGDSC_0908.JPG
Sorry for the delay, but here are the build so far and the sprue shots. As you might be able to see, some of the parts are tiny! There is also a fret of PE. Lost one part of that already! I tiny little tab. about 1mm x 3mm that needs to be bent into a 'J' shape to hold what I think are the anchor spikes in place..... That aint going to happen. lol.

First Name
colin
Nice choice Ian I built one of these when it first came out

First Name
Richard
Nice kit Ian,
by the looks of it, it has some nice details on it.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice choice Ian I built one of these when it first came out
Yeah I got the kit when it first came out and have been waiting for a morris cs8 to drag it around. there was one on Bronco's web site a while back but no longer there.....they must of scrapped it.
Still I might find one of the Scammel's as they too where used... Medium to heavy artillery....
Right then this is the result of today's efforts
The first hour was consumed by the front wheel unit:
DSC_0909.JPG
Some very tiny parts, no real solid location points and not very co-operative when trying to line all the parts up, glue them and hole in place while the glue dried up a bit.

The business end...
DSC_0910.JPG
Here is a very good example of over engineering a kit just because they can...So much of this section of the build could have had the parts count reduced from the 20 something there are to 10, 12 or so. Still it looks nice so can't complain that much.
If it continues to piddle down with rain tomorrow, I might get a bit more done.
Maybe I'll just try to find my reading glasses again as well.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
As it turned out it didn't rain, so I was out trying to make a start on the 'spring cleaning' in the jungle, sorry I mean garden...
As it turned out the good lady was totally knackered and went to bed early, so I got myself down to the cave.
The platform is looking nice and busy, and anything else that has to go on, will happen after paint:
DSC_0911.JPG
As I have the crew set for this I guess that it will be in fire mode, not transport...(also due to the lack of a suitable tractor for it). So the legs of the base are in the open position. So now I'll have to think about a base for it! Grr.
DSC_0912.JPG
Made a start on the sights,
DSC_0913.JPG
And the splinter shields. Quite nice double skin jobs, Lets just hope they line up with the locations on the platform and gun mount...
DSC_0914.JPG
As you can see the bench is littered with parts so I s'pose I'll have to start throwing so primer at it soon. The kit that is, not the bench. lol
DSC_0915.JPG

I was looking for Morris C8 on the net for this and was rather peeved to learn that the only "propper" ones for this are the very over priced resin kits. IBG does the Bedford, which I have, but I wanted the 6x4 or 2X4 morris. So I have fired an e-mail of to Mirror Models as it seems that they are into British trucks and tractors at the moment and are doing them rather well. Lets hope they pick it up and look into it...
Nuff waffle. I have a lunch date with a sandwich!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Here is todays weather update. -3 with 15m/s winds and chances for snow. I am not going out of the door today.
So I got the last of the bits cleaned and mounted and the primer is now curing. Alclad primer still think this is the best primer I have ever used.
I also got the gun crew sorted out and am waiting for the glue to cure hard so I can fill and clean the joins. Dont need much just a smidge here and there.
I was trying to think of an amusing idea for the base but was quite blank. So this might be a serious one..... maybe.
Right; "pictures or it did not happen" I hear you cry:
DSC_0916.JPGDSC_0917.JPGDSC_0918.JPG
Is it just me or are these guys on the skinny side. I often wonder when makers of figures will get over the fact that not all soldiers where the same height and weight.
So some shorter, some taller, some with some padding.

DSC_0919.JPGDSC_0920.JPG
The hunt for some olive drab #15 begins....

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
well first off,you can sent that weather over hear,as we are in for a very hot weekend 27c +.
what a better way to spend the day lol,painting figure's,
will look forward to seeing them.:smiling: