Ian M's Famo

J

John Huggins

Looking forward to seeing this one come together Ian, built this one some time ago & it's one sweet kit to build.

Good luck.

John

B

Builder

Another massive undertaking there Ian, good luck, will really like to see how this one turns out. 

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well rather than just sit and watch paint dry, or pull up weed in the rain I started sticking bits together...

Not a huge amount to show but it's a start

.DSC_0296.JPG

DSC_0297.JPG

The Maybach is only loose  I will paint this up before continuing, but the gearbox is glued A few more bits to go on this yet, then I will paint it before moving on...

Talking of paint- I ordered som this morning and it is already on the way! 

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
nice start with this one Ian,liking it so far, :D

First Name
Stuart
Really nice kit Ian,hope you get time to add the trailer as it will look great with that.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks for the comments chaps and chapet.

Got a few more bits on the rolling chassis done. the wheels are lose and will come off before painting starts.
DSC_0301.JPG

I will have a ganders at the destructions later, but think this is as far as I can go without starting to paint....Which is good. Need to collect the paint. just got a message that is is at the petrol station ready to pick up...

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
this is looking good Ian,do like it :D

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Would anyone care to enlighten me as to what colour Germany used for primer....I might, might, just do a bit of chipping on this so need the appropriate colour layers..

K

Kressy_13

Looking good Ian. Lots of detail that's for sure. Not an armour builder so not sure about the primer. Sorry mate. Keep up the good work mate.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Last edited by a moderator:

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
ta,sounds like a good idea,Ian,the glue looper,as I do use,Tamiya thin,but use the brush,so will look into them, :D

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
So I was on t'internet t'other day and happened across a Famo build by some guy in Germany. It was really rather nice. 
So I have now ordered the two sets of Aber photo etch for the famo. There are also two sets for the trailer, but to be honest.... there are only four parts that I really want and they are spread over both sheets. So the price does not justify the returns.....The trailer draw bar is on the one and the pram hood for the rear unit on the other!

The Photo etch for the Famo looks like it could keep me busy for a month! Also there are some good references for pipes and cable placement....So I will be leaving the Famo for a bit and make a start on the Heavy trailer.

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
sounds like a real nice plan,Ian,PE,dose just add that bit more to a build,and improves it so, :D

will look forward to seeing it,

I dont think I,have ever made tracks that are that flexible at all,do real like how they turned out,

would real like to know what parts you do glue,to make that work,? :S

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
would real like to know what parts you do glue,to make that work,?

I do it like this. I place the two track parts together, on these they simply hook over each other. I then place the road pad that holds the two together and holding them with tweezers I apply a tiny drop of glue with the glue looper thing. Just a tiny bit. Hold them together a few seconds then on to the next. There are some link tracks that just pop together but more often than not the stubs deform and they are very loose. They can hold together with out glue, but only just. Those type I normally glue together after I have them on the wheels. (more often than not they get put on in sections as the joins are so flimsy they cant hold up to being handled to much.)
The links in this kit are also made of a harder plastic which made clean-up easy and they are much stronger. 
When I do the next ones, I will try to remember to take a couple of photos of the process for you.

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
thank you Ian,very useful,info, :D

on the next ones will try this way out,and I have always,just glued them so,

but with this set it was very loose the fit,and I did not even think to test it by your way,with the road pad to hold them, 9_9

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Track assembly now with photos !

DSC_0316.JPG
Here you can see the place on the next track link where the previous one 'hooks in'.

DSC_0317.JPG
The previous one just rests in the grove. You then....

DSC_0318.JPG
place the road pad on, making sure that it is the right way round and hold it in place with the tweezers.

DSC_0319.JPG
Then apply a very tiny line of liquid glue along the join. I'm only using the third hand here as I needed a free hand to take the picture normally everything happens with just fingers and tweezers. The time it takes to get the next link ready, the glue has set and you carry on.

I would guess that start to end it has taken about an hour to do both lengths of track; 47 links in each, So it takes no more time than just gluing them together. :smiling3: