Ian M's Famo

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks Monica, Terry, David and Steve for your encouraging words. 
Carpet monster? haven't got one, laminat flooring so I can hear where they bounce. Only lost one tiny bit, and I think thats on the desk....

Here is today's thrilling installment

DSC_0346.JPG

Made a start on tarting up the Chassis...

DSC_0345.JPG

Made up the six bladed cooling fan... that was fun...

DSC_0343.JPG

Ah! the instrument panel...This would have been a lot smarter an idea, if I had not already fitted the kit one. A few snips with the sprue cutters and I could build this little bugger instead. 

DSC_0344.JPG

I even made back cases for the dials and wired them. there are a couple of extra bits that have been mounted after the photo, but a few things to do yet so next time.

Talking of time all that you see in these four pictures is the result of FIVE hour work minus the time it took to make two cups of coffee.. Jep only two..... I have a big cup lol.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
real liking the added PE,no its a pain,to do,but makes such a noticeable different  :D

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well I'm still here, just been busy! LOL
Well i got most of the sub-assemblies primed the other day so today I painted them with some very expensive paint!  >:sad:  ( more on that later...)

First time trying Model Air. Its rather good. Smells not to bad and covers well..... I might use more of them. But I wonder how the economy will be. A Model color, my normal choice lasts for ages, at least five or six good size builds... The model air, Used half a bottle so far and a long way to go yet.... 

DSC_0365.JPG

A general overview of the chaos that is my paint table...

DSC_0366.JPG
Me thinks that this is very much a kit that needs painting as much as possible before assembling, twas bit of a bugger to spray all the nooks and cranies with out swamping the detail...

A couple of the fire wall after this its hairy stick and detail painting...DSC_0367.JPG

DSC_0368.JPG

Now you are all wondering why this paint was so expensive....
Well I found a hobby shop in the same end of the country I am. So rather than just order on line and pay the postage, I jumped in the car and drove the 60 or so kilometre to the shop...That ended up costing me £60. quite restrained actually. What really pushed the price up was the speeding fine I got from the ATC hidden in the hedgerows  on the way out. Have not got the giro yet but its gong to be around £150. so £210 to buy one bottle of paint! Grrrrrrrr.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Great work here Ian. This will keep you out of trouble for a while. All that PE, good lord !

B

Builder

Loads of details there Ian, waiting to see how it looks painted. 

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Are you aware of how many wheels there where on one of these things!?!?!
DSC_0369.JPG

About that many! and these are just those for the tracks...

Thanks Bob. The main colour is on, just need to figure out which way to go now. 

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Most excellent work so far Ian. Great detail and the etch will really make a difference. With regards to the grab handles I tend to replace those as a matter of course anyway. The wire is invariably stronger than the plastic counterpart it replaces and removes the need for tedious plastic part clean up.

Looking forward to a great looking model.

Cheers

Paul

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Cheers Paul. Agree about the grab handles, I tend to swap them out for brass most of the time. On this one though I will give the tie downs that surround the whole of the grew/cargo area a miss. They are microscopic! I can barely see them WITH a magnifier!! lol.

Anyways... So all the main components are painted an appropriate colour; Model Air Dark Sand, it looks OK to me.
So wheels on and Big bits stuck on. The motor room was fun getting everything to fall into place. At the moment all the wires/cables from the dashboard are just poked down out of the way...Here is how she is looking at the moment. Still loads to do yet!

DSC_0370.JPG

DSC_0371.JPG

DSC_0373.JPG

DSC_0372.JPG

Need a break now before I go on to tackle the pram hood...

Last edited by a moderator:
J

John Rixon

some damn fine work here Ian, proper skill with the PE and wiring!

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
this looks a really busy kit, look forward to seeing it all come together

0ne48thtel

Cheers Paul. Agree about the grab handles, I tend to swap them out for brass most of the time. On this one though I will give the tie downs that surround the whole of the grew/cargo area a miss. They are microscopic! I can barely see them WITH a magnifier!! lol.

Anyways... So all the main components are painted an appropriate colour; Model Air Dark Sand, it looks OK to me.
So wheels on and Big bits stuck on. The motor room was fun getting everything to fall into place. At the moment all the wires/cables from the dashboard are just poked down out of the way...Here is how she is looking at the moment. Still loads to do yet!

View attachment 264478

View attachment 264479

View attachment 264477

View attachment 264480

Need a break now before I go on to tackle the pram hood...

Those tie downs are a pain in the arse Ian and yes you are microscopic.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
this is real looking good,Ian taking shape very nicely, :D

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks all. Off for the weekend, but back on it next week.

As the Famo is now going together, I might make a start on the trailer soon.

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Truly awesome work Ian, you've gone above and beyond on this one ;) .........Jim :smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Still plugging away at this one. Mostly an hour here and there...Have a couple of domestic projects that the missus thinks are more important. :/

Here is where I am at the moment.

DSC_0387.JPG

DSC_0388.JPG

I cant figure out how or where but some thing is out. The motor compartment hood is almost two millimetre to short. I can only assume that the drivers compartment has been placed to far back. the engine compartment is in the correct place....
Contemplating, dismantling it and trying again!!! Ouch.

HELP: Does anyone have some DAK armored division decals x2 and the DAK emblems x4 that they are not going to use?