looking real nice Ian, :D

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well after about an hour I finally got the tie-rods sorted. In fairness this would have gone a lot quicker if they had been done as the axles went on and not after! Still I know for the rear boogie which are the next up.

DSC_0402.JPG

Front boogie done, still a few tools and such to go on but that will be after painting.DSC_0403.JPG
The tie rods. Instead of the wire and screws of the kit, the replacements are resin, wire, tube and PE. The instructions call for the ball joint holders to be rounded out so the ball joints can work.... well I dont think I will be playing with it so they ended as a nice tight push fit. Tight enough to stay put but just lose enough be able to pose the wheels.

DSC_0404.JPG

Here you can see them a bit better. The PE set also included Mudguards but to be honest these look fine to me. Just need to remove the surplus from the supports and they are fine.

Right then better get on with the rear set...

B

Builder

That trailer looks complex, so many parts, lots of detail in this one, I like!

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
There is so much going on in those last two pictures. It certainly is well detailed.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That trailer looks complex, so many parts, lots of detail in this one, I like!

There is so much going on in those last two pictures. It certainly is well detailed

I agree with you both. In fact I could be tempted to say that this is one of the more complex builds I have done, so far, and just for good measure I'm doing the PE as well; though I admit I am leaving  a lot off as the Plastic is pretty good. I am being, whats the word..... Selective. If it's not a great improvement or is not going to be seen, leave it off. :smiling3:

The reason that I purchased the FOUR sets of PE is purely down to the fact that Aber, in a great marketing move put the key components a couple in each set. 
The drivers canopy 'pram hood' was in one set, the one for the trailer drivers compartment in an other..... that sort of thing gets my goat a bit  >:sad: .

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I agree with you both. In fact I could be tempted to say that this is one of the more complex builds I have done, so far, and just for good measure I'm doing the PE as well; though I admit I am leaving  a lot off as the Plastic is pretty good. I am being, whats the word..... Selective. If it's not a great improvement or is not going to be seen, leave it off. :smiling3:

The reason that I purchased the FOUR sets of PE is purely down to the fact that Aber, in a great marketing move put the key components a couple in each set. 
The drivers canopy 'pram hood' was in one set, the one for the trailer drivers compartment in an other..... that sort of thing gets my goat a bit  >:sad: .

The scum bags, someone knew what they were doing !

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
:smiling3:

Looking good Ian But that's business for you.

First Name
Stuart
Looks like a realy nice kit with great detail,the build is coming along nicely great job Ian

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well it has been precipitating profusely today so I hid myself away for and hour or two to stick some plastic together....
Rear boogie set all done bar a dozen or so bits... O.o   As an indicator, each axle consists of two half's each hub consists of five. Those pesky linkage rods are five parts each (should be 7...) thats 44 parts just for the two axles. (88 for all four. I have built complete kits with less parts than that !!!)

What ever. Need to do the rear driver compartment then its on to the flatbed....DSC_0405.JPGDSC_0406.JPGDSC_0407.JPGDSC_0408.JPG

Should be a blast to paint :/

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
that's a lot of bits,Ian,and as you said more than some whole kits, 9_9

its real looking good and taking shape very nicely, :D

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Still slogging away at it. It's freezing out side so I hid away in the den for a while.
DSC_0410.JPG

DSC_0411.JPG

I got 95% of the trailer bed done. It is the least complicated part of the build.
DSC_0412.JPG
Added a few larger bits and bobs to the rear boogie set.

And just to get an idea of the total object:
DSC_0413.JPG

So far so good but there are still a load of parts in the box! I guess at some point soon I will get to prime/Paint it....

0ne48thtel

Still slogging away at it. It's freezing out side so I hid away in the den for a while.
View attachment 265680

View attachment 265681

I got 95% of the trailer bed done. It is the least complicated part of the build.
View attachment 265682
Added a few larger bits and bobs to the rear boogie set.

And just to get an idea of the total object:
View attachment 265683

So far so good but there are still a load of parts in the box! I guess at some point soon I will get to prime/Paint it....

Coming along very nicely sir.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Cheers Terry. I might even find a "cargo" for it later on.....

F

Fenlander

Have you not finished that little job yet? :D

Amazing looking kit Ian, you are doing a cracking job on it.

D

Deleted member 4203

Wow, this really is magnificent. What an exciting kit this is Ian  :smiling3:

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Amazing work so far Ian now I am glad that I can't afford one to many bits for me.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
very nice work Ian,coming along very nicely, :D

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Phew! Got some primer on most of the trailer parts. It was not until I took the pictures I realised that I have forgotten the side parts for the rear driver cabin! Bugger!

Anyway, I was thinking that this is going to be German Grey then hairspray then the fender markings then the Desert yellow.... sound like a good idea?

DSC_0414.JPG

Darn thing took three if not four Airbrush cups to spray and its still a bit patchy. 

DSC_0415.JPGDSC_0416.JPG

The 'Wooden' ramps and blocks are going to get painted as Oak first then a bit of hairspray befor the final paints. ditto the metal ones. Only in metal first, not oak O.o

As I have already painted the Famo Yellow, I guess I will have to try a different approach to the weathering on that. Sponge? brush chipping? Hmmm.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Fabulous work so far Ian. The details will really make the difference to the look of the finished model.

Great stuff.

Paul