Ian M's HMS HOOD. Trumpeter 1/200

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
This is really beginning to look special. Hood looks mighty fine so far.
Do you intend to weather this build Ian? It could prove tricky after the rigging is done or do you have a technique?

Keep up the fabulous work
Cheers
p

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Not weathering her Paul.
Appears that she was very freshly painted and clean when she set off to find Bismark.
When she arrived at Iceland she was indeed in a very odd three tone paint scheme. That was painted out while awaiting orders...

Next up has to be the davits, the ammo hoists, jack staffs and then those bloody railings! :eek: Oh and guns. lots of guns. (almost forgot those).

D

Deleted member 4539

I've been having a good read through this thread and I have to say I'm simply astounded with the work that you have put into this monster Ian:smiling3:.
This to me is what a great modelling thread is about great pics and explanations of the work you have done.
Did I say astounding?.
Ralph.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks Ralph, much appreciated.
Had another session today while my better half was watching 'her tv series'.
Right then: The bits of plastic left to be attached to the ship, can now be counted on one hand. Just a couple of davits here and there, if I recall correctly...
Then its the rest of the railings. The part I am looking least forwards to. Even the rigging did not scare me as much as the railings, I think it might be due to if the rigging goes wrong, as it did a couple of places, its just cut it off and do it again. With the PE rails, its pretty much a one shot thing. And we all know how I get on with so called Super glue. LOL. I really must try some accelerator some day!
So here are a few photos from this session.
DSC_0833.JPG DSC_0834.JPG DSC_0835.JPG DSC_0836.JPG DSC_0837.JPG DSC_0838.JPG
I can see that a careful look around with a brush and the hull colour will be needed to touch in a few places where the paint has scratched of some of the PE and where some of the jibs and davits needed a clean up. One of the things I like about the paints I am using is that the finish is the same, regardless of it being sprayed or brushed on. I have found that some paints that you can see the touch ups due to differences in the finish.
Well I need to calm my nerves and hands and I'll get back to you all later with the next up date.

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
This is epic Ian, I showed the girlfriend all the rigging you'd done... she thinks your mad Lol!!!
Keep up the good work.
Phil

D

Deleted member 4539

Hi Ian.
Loving it.
Just a thought for you but ignore if you want.:cool:
I have never built a ship in this scale but when I have built 1/350 I usually put the railings on first(just my preference).I used to use superglue but always ended up in a mess quite often.What I found to work well was to use pva mixed with a bit off acrylic matting agent leave to dry for about half an hour till it starts going tacky then use this to attach the railings.Any excess glue can be wiped away with a damp brush(water).It does take longer to dry but when dry I find it to have a better hold than super glue.
All the best.
Ralph.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well shiver me timbers! This will be the last post in this thread.
At the moment the mighty Hood is sitting waiting for the gloss to dry so I can put on the draft marks, then a splodge of matt and she is done. Finished.
Here is a quick teaser and once all is done I will post in the finished builds section...
Then edit a link into it from here... :smiling:
Thank you All for the support and encouragement and the tips that have turned up underway.
DSC_0839.JPG
Not the most flattering of photos I know. I will try to dig the big camera out later.....

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Yeah nice one Ian, quality build looking forward to the completed shots

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Ive been looking in on this one ian and its a superb build , its a mighty impressive size too , where is it going to be berthed?

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks chaps, the decals are drying and tomorrow they will get a squirt of Matt coat and that will be it.
It's really odd, opening the door the the cave, and instead of a huge ship and a whole heap of tools, glues, bits of thread and junk, there is a big empty place....
Can't have that can we....
Tony, she will berth in the display cabinet where the picture was taken, more on that in the final thread.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I must say that so far I am rather enjoying this build. So much so that I might just start to save up for another. The Bismark? Hmm.
Well it took a while but I just bought the Bismarck. Still no sign of the Ark nor for that matter the KGV come on Trumpeter!

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Lovely build Ian, great job!

You might see a new 1 350 KGV, POW & Vanguard from Very Fire, but they were announced a few yrs back