Ian M's Ju-87D-5 Italeri 1/48

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well I got to find the kit in the stash and snapped a photo of the box art.
I will probably regret it once I start, but I will be going for the box art camouflage!!! Yikes! Provided I have the paints for it. Otherwise it will be the standard splinter camo.
DSC_0611.JPG

D

dubster72

Rather you than me with that camo Ian! Gives me the shivers just thinking of it :eek:

It'll be interesting to watch your build alongside Peter's as I believe they're essentially the same kit?

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
nice do like a stuka ;)

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice does it have PE like mine?
To be honest Peter I have no idea lol. Ive yet to open the box!

Rather you than me with that camo Ian! Gives me the shivers just thinking of it :eek:

It'll be interesting to watch your build alongside Peter's as I believe they're essentially the same kit?
It will be good practice for the Storch I have in the stash...
I think its mainly the same sprues, Just a couple of different bits for the Mk. change perhaps?

nice do like a stuka ;)
Well I will try to build a nice one for you! ;)

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice does it have PE like mine?
Yes it does. I think the basis kit is the same, just extra bits in yours for the Mk you are doing.
Right then, the box is open the sprue shots taken and the building of the cockpit started.
I have attached the PE belts and will bend them into shape once the seat is painted. The parts are primed with Stynylrez primer, thought I would give it a bash. Seems pretty good so far.
Now I just need a couple of reference photos befor I paint the colour.
DSC_0641.JPG DSC_0642.JPG DSC_0643.JPG DSC_0644.JPG DSC_0645.JPG
But that will have to wait until after a trip to the garage. The lambda sonde on my trusty chariot has gone tits up! So that's my pocket money for the month out the window!
More later.

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
This looks a nice kit Ian and I definatly like the camo on the box lid
I have decided to do the Airfix B version so a little earlier than your version.
Your making greet process on this and looks very sweet.
I'll be watching till the end

Kind regards

Robert

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Today's efforts:
DSC_0646.JPG DSC_0647.JPG
I got some RLM 02 on the cockpit and picked out the detail with a hairy stick. For what will be seen once the lid goes on this will do me fine.
DSC_0648.JPG
IP done with the PE and decals...Helpful tip of the day. Put the decals onto the back of the PE. It's so much easier to line up the dials. Unfortunately mine skidded when I placed the small center panel but hey ho. no one will ever know.
DSC_0649.JPG
The PE retrofitted armour was a fun one to fit. Lets hope I guessed right and put it in the correct place. Always fun with a two way curve as well... not.
DSC_0650.JPG DSC_0651.JPG
The fuselage is just plonked into the wing her, just to see how the fit is. Not to bad at all and a quick smudge of putty will soon take care of any wonky bits.
Nice touch with the PE duck boards.
And that is all for now. Might get back on it later. (the misses is away until Friday with work). Depends on if I can find something on the house alter worth watching....

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Like the Pe detail ? Nog preseng on my Airfix version but I'm not far behind you.
Busy week ahead at work so not much chance to get on the bench
The wing seems a nice fit
Great progress Ian

Regards

Robert

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Looking good and not far off mine as I have just started the engine

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
lookiing good Ian,do like your progress on this one,real like,the PE,
just adds so,much more to a build,nice work on the cockpit,;)

D

dubster72

The cockpit detail looks very nice Ian. Seems to be a good kit so far.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The wings are on and suddenly its an aircraft!
DSC_0655.JPG
The join at the wing root is OK, a bit of a step but correcting it will cause more damage than it is worth. I can live with it.
The engine is built but as I am not going to show it, its not getting painted. It just there to hold the propeller and the cowlings.
I often wonder why the makers dont provide a way to build the aircraft so you can still build the air frame and have the motor displayed by the side if that's what you want to do. A kind of dummy motor block if you like. what ever.
The UC struts are done and ready for a swipe with a sanding stick. As I always brush paint tyres, I cant see it being an issue.
Tail fins! If you are doing the Italeri kit. Pay attention. The two PE parts that go at the end of the tail wings. put the one on the wing first, then the one on the elevator.
DSC_0656.JPG
I had a bit of bother with the join on the bottom of the cowl. Nice big lump of filler should sort that out. If I lined up the top the bottom was out and vise-versa. So I went for the yukky bit on the bottom! (Don't even think about it!)
DSC_0657.JPG
As the sun is now belting through the window and I am both roasted and blind, time to go play in the garden, or the work shop.

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Looking good your a brave man doing that camo.

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Hi Ian
On my Airfix version it's the same with the engine you either display with cowling off or no engine and cowling on . I'm doing the latter as I'm doing mine bombing up fir a mission
Wings and tail stabilisers on and the Airfix has two options fir the rear either down or straight
I've done mine as straight
My wheels are painted rubber black and I A/b but I still need to detail up. Pics up later

Regards

Robert

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice work Ian , it looks a lovely kit , dont envy you with the camo though , it literally looks like a can of worms! cheers tony

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Just caught up Ian, and some nice work pal, looking forward to the painting though. ( in a slightly sadistic way :smiling3: )