Ian M's Lynx AH1 Airfix 1/48

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I can almost hear the shouts: Airfix dont do an AH1!
Well...... they do! Sort of.
20220209_150355.jpg
All the parts for an AH1 are in the box! Apart for a couple of things that is.
We'll get to that in a moment...
Here's the unopened bag of plastic:
20220209_150459.jpg
Dive into that and you will find these:
20220209_151118.jpg
The first hurdle on the way to an AH1. The main rotors. The AH1 did not have those paddles on the end and where made of good old British steel!
The other visual difference was the whirly bit at the rear.
20220209_151139.jpg
The AH 1's tail rotated the opposite way than the updated AH 7. Looking at the part, I see no easy AND lasting way around this. I could cut the blades off and turn them and glue them on again. I can see that they will fall off every time you look at them! So I guess I will just have to hope that nobody notices that they turn the wrong way!
The main rotors are another kettle of fish.
A bit of time with a panel scriber, a steel rule and a sharp scalpel and you end up with.....
20220209_161150.jpg
I will see if I have to replace the 4 - 5 mm lost of the end due to cutting of the bend of the paddle! (probably not)

So having got that out of the way I proceeded to start sticking bits together...
Got the first few parts of the drivers seats made and went to get the next parts to make ready.
These two.
20220209_164822.jpg
Part 48. The base of the aforementioned seats. There is only one. Looked in the bag: Nope. Looked in the box: Nope. Took a close look at the sprue gate. Smooth, round and flash on the surrounding stubs and the number tab is twice as thick as all the others!!! That's what I call a short shot! I have seen bits with corners missing, even with holes in but never befor one that the part was totally missed!
Bugger. Looks like I'll have to scratch something together...
20220209_164902.jpg

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The AH 1's tail rotated the opposite way than the updated AH 7. Looking at the part, I see no easy AND lasting way around this. I could cut the blades off and turn them and glue them on again. I can see that they will fall off every time you look at them! So I guess I will just have to hope that nobody notices that they turn the wrong way!
Can’t you cut off the shaft, drill a hole through the centre or the tail rotor and add a new shaft on the other side? Or does the back (that would now be the front) look very different?

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Can’t you cut off the shaft, drill a hole through the centre or the tail rotor and add a new shaft on the other side? Or does the back (that would now be the front) look very different?
It's a good suggestion Jakko but yes the details are different on each side. I'll have a look tomorrow though and see if it's a possible to do it that way. Thanks for the idea.
Have you asked Airfix for a replacement part 48?
Pete
No I have looked at the web page though. How much do they hold you to the where and when bought bit?
I think it will be quicker to scratch something up. It's not an in you face part but need to hold the seat up.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I have a feeling that the different detail will be less obvious than the rotor turning in the wrong direction — to those in the know anyway, of course :smiling3:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
No I have looked at the web page though. How much do they hold you to the where and when bought bit?
I think it will be quicker to scratch something up. It's not an in you face part but need to hold the seat up.
I've only asked them once, for a clear part for a very old kit. I just said it was a present so I didn't know. Price was very reasonable and the part arrived within a couple of days. I wouldn't expect them to charge for replacing a short shot part.
Pete

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Had a nice day in the cave today.
Tail rotor fun.
20220210_115209.jpg
One of the reasons I could not just turn the part and have the innermost side out side was due to the slight cupping. So I bit the brace and went for it. I cut the blades off up against the U joint, you can just see the place in the photo. This ment that the small stumps sticking up where now on the back side! cut those off too!
The cross of the hub was drilled out, as was the ends of the shafts on the blades.... Brass rod superglue and a lot of swearing got them in place. a cocktail stick taped to the mat held them at the correct angle. Replaced the stubs from a bit of stretched sprue. Phew!- And I didn't stick it to the mat this time!

20220210_115227.jpg
Made the support frame for the drivers seat! I used the floor as a jig, hence the tape, to prevent it sticking. LOL. (that didn't work).
Its not perfect, but it will hold the seat at the right height!
Then one thing led to another. It started to pour with rain, so I stayed in the cave!
20220210_152607.jpg
Saves having to prime all those p fiddley tiny parts paint and build. So it was build first, panic paint later.
20220210_152619.jpg
Then a few bits got mounted for paint. Like a chump I put the windows in the doors and cockpit befor painting. Now I'll have to mask both sides!
20220210_152655.jpg

20220210_152725.jpg
Still cant make up my mind about these belts. Might have to make some.

Cheers.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks for the comments.
Todays bench time was used to mask of the windows that I should have held back on until the inside paint had been done.
Then It was on to the tail boom and the big fan...
The fit on the boom was really very good and the detail is also nice and sharp.
20220211_115205.jpg
sharper than my photos lol.
20220211_115220.jpg
The gearbox was also a very good fit, the larger gap is in a panel line, but I might have sanded it just a little to much.. :flushed: a good dollop of mud.... oh wait not a tank....lol
then it was on to the main rotor assembly..
20220211_115119.jpg
again a bit fuzzy, still fighting with the macro and shaky hands.
The rotors will now be left alone to cure 110% befor touching them.
I would like to add that trying to find good photos og the old steel bladed rotors up close to find some detail has come in third place after hens teeth and rocking horse poop!
ONE i found one rather iffy picture where I could see som yellow on the tips and some double yellow bands across the blade dividing it into three sections of more or less equal size.
Would the leading edge be one length? should there be rivets everywhere?.

Not much I can do now until the internal parts are painted and I can close the fuselage around them. unless.....

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Not much I can do now until the internal parts are painted and I can close the fuselage around them. unless...
... I start doing something daft, I don't know something like:
20220211_165117.jpg
Can't 'ave the elf and safety mob on my case for not having seatbelts in Her Majesties Taxi Service can we.
So I bit the bullet and scraped the kits belts og the drivers' seats, cut up some thick aluminium foil and had at it.
20220211_165321.jpg
I used the layout from the kits belts for the comfy chairs up front. The passenger seats are more economy class style. Four pointers on the twin bench and simple wait belts for the rear stalls.
20220211_165348.jpg

Not 100% finished (nor accurate) but better than befor.
As for doing this befor the paint went down.... No worse than having to paint either the kits belts or a crazy detailed resin bang seat. :tongue-out:

If others are wondering what colour to paint the quilting inside the cab a mix of olive green, gun metal and silver. 45:45:10 works ok...semi shiny if you like..

Last edited:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Right then: I managed to get some paint down on the parts that make up the interior, mask off the doors and main canopy (on both sides!) Still need to paint the drivers door yet though!
After an HOUR og playing silly burgers, painting all the seating, then the belts, then touch up the over paint on the seats, then touching up the belts.... you know how it goes. lol
I was happy enough with them all.
20220214_114007.jpg
If I can steady my hand the buckles will get a dab of silver, but to be honest I am on the 'meh' side of the fence right now..

20220214_114029.jpg
Floor needs a bit of beating up. I figure with all the boots in and out, things being chucked in and dragged out it will need a bit of dirt and the odd chip.

Got the decals on the panels as well.
20220214_114046.jpg
once dry I will see if they will need more work other than a bit of glossy varnish. aka glass.
While waiting for paint to dry, I sorted the TOW launchers out. I will just say that you need to use care with them. Do not use glue when you put the tubes in the holders, just when you put the end parts on.

Once the inside parts are 100% dry I will be able to move on.

Cheers dears.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ian
Sorry I missed the start.
Well you're solving every issue as you come to it. Good call with the tail rotor. The seat belts are a great improvement over the kit parts. Nice to get some colour on.
Jim