Ian M's Lynx AH1 Airfix 1/48

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Had a bit of time on my hands this AM. Should have had one of the stray cats caught and take to the vet. (s)he had other ideas though. The wife almost had it in the transport box when it had a hissy fit and got free. So I found something else to do.

Started to paint the rotors and primed the fuselage
First the rotors were measured and marked and some yellow paint put down. I cheated and jut brushed it as it was only very little areas. Did that yesterday though, so today it was fun with masking up the bands and tips.
20220216_093505.jpg
Unfortunately, I forgot to smooth down the yellow befor I masked up and you can see the edges of the brush splodged on paint! naturally only was this after I had painted the rotorblades and removed the masking... duh! I will see if I can live with it or if I rub it down and respray the affected areas!
On to the body of the beast.
20220216_093534.jpg
Sprayed with Vallejo primer and will be left for a day or three to cure right through befor moving on to the colouring in part...which brings a question to mind.
Post shade or pre shade. Helicopters normally are kept very clean due to the heavy service regime. so thinking not much more than panel lines and rivet highlights. Also all the reference photos I have seen the paint is actually quite glossy, so again not a lot of surface dirt.
What do you lot think? just a pin wash in the panel lines and on the rivets, bit of oil here and there and some exhaust soot.
Must also remember there is a rather large fan, blasting any fluids away.....

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Morn Ian,

Playing ketchup here on the whirly birdy side of the house. That kit looks to be very detailed and you are doing some excellent work on it so far. Nice colors and some fine scratchy on the blades and interior. It must be nice to be back into playing at the bench and not spend all your time keeping us the rabble in check. Looking real good Sir!!! Oh, and cats definitely have a mind of their own to do what they want.........

Prost
Allen

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks chaps.
Allen the two cats that live outdoors are over from the farm across the road, they have been permanet 'guests' in our garden for the last two and a half years. We had an appointment to have them both checked over and if all was well have them vaccinated and sterilised. One that we are 110% sure was a tom was no trouble at all. just picked him up and put him in the box. The other which we think is a girl but not 100% did a runner. Today was try number two. next week will be try number 3. third time lucky?
This is what we get greeted by every morning and evening. "Where's our grub"!
20210916_163754c.jpg
Leo and suzzi or if it turns out to be a tom as well Zhu-Zhi. lol

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ian
Cute little furries you have there. Cats do have a mind of their own.
Yellow on the rotors looks fine.
just a pin wash in the panel lines and on the rivets, bit of oil here and there and some exhaust soot.
I'd go with that, makes sense. Also a satin finish rather than Matt.
Jim

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks Ron but they was masked of when I sprayed the blades.

They are kinda cute Jim but it's very much we are their humans more than they are our cats.

I will post a picture or two of the Lynx tomorrow, it's now looking rather green!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
An' ere was me thinkin' this was just another 'elicopter build! Some cracking scratch/repair work there Ian.

PS I can see why you couldn't resist 'em!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
YES Ian love the caterapillers an your helo is looking good do the door slide open an shut ?
chris

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks chaps. Glad you dropped in.
YES Ian love the caterapillers an your helo is looking good do the door slide open an shut ?
chris
Yes the side sliders do open but not the drivers doors and I could not find any hinges small enough :tears-of-joy:

An' ere was me thinkin' this was just another 'elicopter build! Some cracking scratch/repair work there Ian.

PS I can see why you couldn't resist 'em!
Well it is a GB so I thought I better give it a bit more effort lol
If the PS is for the cats, you should have seen them two years ago... It was winter and wet and windy and cold and they presented themselves at the door. looking like drowned rats! Still very cautious of people though. Wifey bless her let them in to the hallway and gave them some food. Been coming every day twice a day since. It ended up that Muggins (me) built them a shelter where they have permanently moved in. There has been a run of cat flue in the area, so she thought that they should be 'adopted'

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Lovely Lynx and definitely irresistible mini lynxes...
Modern helicopters are always very clean, even after flight and even when deployed abroad but in that case some dust inside the passengers area would be normal.
We have the same scene going on every morning starring the neighbours' cat and yes, no doubt we are their humans (and happy to be).

Attachments

• IMG_6769.JPG
    IMG_6769.JPG
    909 KB · Views: 14

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Very nice your building this at a fast precise orderly fashion everything looks so good and highly detailed sorry I’m a little late

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks chaps.
Right now I am trying to sort out how to paint the camo. Looks like the Royal Marines had there own ideas with regard to the pattern, so its not quite a simple colour swap in the same areas....
Then there is the problem of masking the little bugger. I think I will need to find some clean(ish) white tac and have at it with that.... Hmm wonder if I can use that hairspray trick mentioned in another thread and free hand it? :tongue-out2:

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks chaps.
Right now I am trying to sort out how to paint the camo. Looks like the Royal Marines had there own ideas with regard to the pattern, so its not quite a simple colour swap in the same areas....
Then there is the problem of masking the little bugger. I think I will need to find some clean(ish) white tac and have at it with that.... Hmm wonder if I can use that hairspray trick mentioned in another thread and free hand it? :tongue-out2:
Royal Marines have their own ideas on just about every subject ... ! Still, humour them or else they wouldn't be Royals, would they?! ;)
Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Now in glorious Technicolour!

Finally got my head around the RM two colour camo. It helped a lot when I found photos of both sides of the same Lynx from both sides, when you have those, you can work out what is going on top and bottom.

I forgot to take a picture or two of her in all green, the masking I just got on with... so....
20220218_140045.jpg

And the other side.
20220218_140053.jpg
Then is was a case of peeling the worms off:
20220218_145756.jpg

20220218_145744.jpg
Hmm can you say overspray. And yes I forgot the freaking hairspray!
Not to worried at the moment as I think the green is a bit light, so I will have a go with the hairspray and then try again this time with a touch darker green.