Ian M's Lynx AH1 Airfix 1/48

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Bit late , but had a full read Ian. Certainly a nice build and start to the paint .
Cats not bad either ;).

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Bit of an update on the build!
I took the plunge and found the hairspray. Its been a looooong time since I used this and was amazed at how much came out on pressing the button down! It literally swamped both the model, my hand and the desk! I think nest time I will decant some and brush it on.
Any who. I got the green resprayed with a little darker green, that is close enough for the job. That was left to dry and the next session it was wash and scrub the green overspray from the black! A rather short knackered small flat brush was found and some clean water. After some wetting, scrubbing with said brush the overspray was removed and I had once more a two colour camo, and not the three colour of before!
The next day it got a coat Johnsons finest floor polish and was left over night to "cure"
To day saw me go mental trying to place the stencil data I would say that I have about 80% of them down but the last 20% nope not going to happen! (until tomorrow when I look at it and think otherwise). LOL
20220221_124052.jpg
Started out just going for the more obvious markings, but on a dark green and black base; they all are the little beggars.
20220221_124113.jpg
Spot the boo-boo! Dam it!
20220221_124143.jpg
Buckets of micro sol at the ready. There are more rivets on this thing than in a bathtub full of frogs!

Oh! the decals for the tail rotor where pants, so ended up having to paint the red/whiter bands. In real life it dont look bad, in the photo it looks :poop: I still have to paint the bare metal leading edge, so plenty of time to bugger it up yet.
20220221_124236.jpg
That really looks pants that big lol.
Tomorrow will be micro sol, touching up and a clear coat...
Thanks for looking in and all that.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Very nice Ian. Steve Jones likes Rivets as well :smiling2:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
After a day of lumberjacking yesterday and cleaning up a bit today, I took a bit of me time in the cave.
Short story is that Eunice pushed a fir tree and gave it a good shake. Two days of heavy rain then more powerful winds saw the roots lifting. As the tree stood if the wind took it, it would have taken a line across all my Maples and Rhododendrons! So I took a chainsaw to it and dropped it in about the only free room there is. It did squish a bit of wire fence but no bushes! The fence was easy to pull into shape again. Enough about that.
Today saw the last of the decal work go down.
20220223_160502.jpg
I was not to happy to find I had no ROYAL MARINES in white! So I knicked the Royal from the Navy and then had the joy of single letters to make Marines!

20220223_160513.jpg
Likewise the codes where also a mix of the letters XZ from the kit and some single numbers from the sheet. (from Xtradecal British serial and service markings) AS you can see the number of rivets and plates on the tail are mad. So I think several visits from Micro sol will be called for.
20220223_162315.jpg
A good tip if making texts in single letters, start from the back and work forwards. Thus getting them to fit!
Also got the steel leading edge on the tail rotor painted! Why I didn't paint the exhaust while I was at it I will never know. lol
20220223_162348.jpg
The D23 below the doors and on the nose are also thanks to Xtradecal!
So... what's left to do?
Nav lights, painted today
Window wipers and the TOW missile launchers
And I guess I will have to sort out those sodding FOD things. They look 'orrid! (might leave them off to be honest)-
Oh Paint the exhausts lol.
MAYBE a pin wash. but all the photos I have seen they have all been painstakingly clean. A bit of wear and tear but clean.

Anyone know what the clear parts on the main rotor head are about?

(comments are welcome as I feel a bit like I am talking to myself!)

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
A very nice model, Ian.
I agree: peacetime helicopters are always very clean, unless you want to depict an heli at the end of an intense training day on a soggy clay soil training area (and those training areas are almost always the dirtiest spots for miles around) in a raining day with an infantry unit. In that case, mud would generously cover the cargo bay floor while the steps and the doors would show the signs of infantrymen's boots and hands.

Reactions: JR

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Dunno, can't see them.
Pete
I found a walk a round of a Lynx rotor head just five minutes ago! They are in fact lube pots. so now we all know. Filler cap inboard grease nipple outboard if you want to go ultra in the detail !!!

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I found a walk a round of a Lynx rotor head just five minutes ago! They are in fact lube pots. so now we all know. Filler cap inboard grease nipple outboard if you want to go ultra in the detail !!!
Well we now expect you to do that :nerd:Ian.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking good Ian. Good catch on the overspray…..

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
After a day of lumberjacking yesterday and cleaning up a bit today, I took a bit of me time in the cave.
Short story is that Eunice pushed a fir tree and gave it a good shake. Two days of heavy rain then more powerful winds saw the roots lifting. As the tree stood if the wind took it, it would have taken a line across all my Maples and Rhododendrons! So I took a chainsaw to it and dropped it in about the only free room there is. It did squish a bit of wire fence but no bushes! The fence was easy to pull into shape again. Enough about that.
View attachment 446737
I was not to happy to find I had no ROYAL MARINES in white! So I knicked the Royal from the Navy and then had the joy of single letters to make Marines!

View attachment 446738
Likewise the codes where also a mix of the letters XZ from the kit and some single numbers from the sheet. (from Xtradecal British serial and service markings) AS you can see the number of rivets and plates on the tail are mad. So I think several visits from Micro sol will be called for.
View attachment 446739
A good tip if making texts in single letters, start from the back and work forwards. Thus getting them to fit!
Also got the steel leading edge on the tail rotor painted! Why I didn't paint the exhaust while I was at it I will never know. lol
View attachment 446741
So... what's left to do?
And I guess I will have to sort out those sodding FOD things. They look 'orrid! (might leave them off to be honest)-
MAYBE a pin wash. but all the photos I have seen they have all been painstakingly clean. A bit of wear and tear but clean.

View attachment 446737

View attachment 446738
View attachment 446739
View attachment 446741
So... what's left to do?

Don't beat yourself up about making 'Royal Marines' in single letters - most marines can't even write single letters mate. They use thumb prints or x to sign their documents, etc. Try replicating that ....!
Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Reading about your decals, I now know why I dumped most of them on my heli.

But unlike me, you persevered, so full credit to you Ian.

Looking good. :thumb2:

Ron

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
That's looking great Ian :smiling3:
There's something about the Black and Green camo that I've always liked.... Excellent stuff ;)
Andy