Ian M's Phantom

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well I been waiting to get in to this for a while now and now I have a good reason to start it.

I have just ordered the decals for it at it will not be out the box.

Luxury problem is I have two kits, Both Hasegawa, just one of them is in a Revell boxing. One is a GR1, the other a GR2. If I recall the Royal navy one was a GR1

Some where I have a box of resin goodies. Cockpit, bang seats, intake goodies and wheel bays I think. I'll pop a few photos up when I find the box that I put in a safe place.... :confused:

Ian M

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Get into it Ian, look forward to seeing your F4 evolve.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Ha! Found it!

Right then that was easy. I found the box with the bits in.

Here is the kit that will one day be a Royal Navy bird in glorious Dark sea Grey over white.

View attachment 58424

One of the kits I have suitable for a Royal Navy Phantom is this Hasegawa FGR1

View attachment 58431

Any one want a sheet of decals? I won't be needing them.

View attachment 58425 View attachment 58429 View attachment 58426

The main fuselage the wing and tail elevaron sprues

View attachment 58428 View attachment 58427 View attachment 58430

The tail wing thingies have the required slats for a Navy Phantom and included in the kit is the three stage nose leg. In both high and lox position, which is handy. In the bag with the clear parts are a set of white metal wheels of the correct type? along with some very bad soft plastic tyres with ejector pin marks all over them.

View attachment 58437 View attachment 58436 View attachment 58435 View attachment 58434 View attachment 58433 View attachment 58432

The resin bits. Here I would be glad for a bit of feed back from our resident Phantom Phitter, Dave W.

The cockpit set is for a FG2, can this be used or was there are lot of differences.

Also another area that I am a bit unsure of is the wheels and tyres. Which ones where on the Navy Spook's and which one on the RAF...

I am seriously considering having a closer look at some of the "Brassin" bits from Eduard. Would that open nose with the radar be OK on this version.

Any ways, that is what I have thus far, now I am off on a reference hunt.

See Yer!

View attachment 60287

View attachment 60288

View attachment 60289

View attachment 60290

View attachment 60291

View attachment 60292

View attachment 60293

View attachment 60294

View attachment 60295

View attachment 60296

View attachment 60297

View attachment 60298

View attachment 60299

View attachment 60300

IMAG0839.jpg

IMAG0840.jpg

IMAG0841.jpg

IMAG0842.jpg

IMAG0843.jpg

IMAG0844.jpg

IMAG0845.jpg

IMAG0848.jpg

IMAG0849.jpg

IMAG0850.jpg

IMAG0851.jpg

IMAG0852.jpg

IMAG0853.jpg

IMAG0854.jpg

First Name
Michael
What a great load of goodies you got there Ian. I'm scouring around looking for something, the Academy Sundowners kit is catching my eye. M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Postman came with the decals today, A bit more for the build.

Ian M

T

treyzx10r

Sweet kit Ian ,been trying to score one on evil bay forever !

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Yeah I got a bit luck. I managed to snipe it in the last seconds of the auction.

I have been after the Royal Navy version but in the end I gave up and went this way, Hell its only a few decals......?

Ian M

T

treyzx10r

Yea nice sniping that,do'nt envy all those tiny stencil decals you'll be dealing with tho. Still wish I had one in the stash to join in with,oh well back to evil bay wish me luck!

D

Danny

Looking better than good there Ian....Im still hunting for something suitable... Should have a few options over the weekend..

Danny

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
A good few on Ebay UK

Phantom in Models | eBay

Loads on ebay.de F-4 Phantom 1/48 | eBay

And for those on the other side of the pond: Ebay.comhttp://www.ebay.com/sch/Military-/2586/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=f-4+phantom

Might just go shopping in a while.

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The last(?) of the goodies

I got the correct cockpit for an FG1 in the post the other day. Nice detail in it.

View attachment 59202 View attachment 59203 View attachment 59204 View attachment 59205 View attachment 59206.

Thought I'de post them up if anyone wanted a bit inspiration for more detail for their one.

Ian M

Sorry about the background, couldn't be chuffed to clean the table top down.

View attachment 60998

View attachment 60999

View attachment 61000

View attachment 61001

View attachment 61002

IMAG0880.jpg

IMAG0881.jpg

IMAG0882.jpg

IMAG0883.jpg

IMAG0884.jpg

First Name
Michael
Very nice Ian, thought about getting a cockpit for mine, opted for some P.E and quickboost seats and new wheels, looking forward to watching yours come together. M

J

Jim Scott

Looks like your phantom is going to be top notch Ian :smile1:I'm having trouble getting the lid off of my humbrol thinners:hmmm:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Cheers chaps. I have a Sea Venom on the bench at the moment, Attempting to get it painted and out the way. It would go a lot quicker if I had not changed my mind on the scheme half way through painting it!!!

Also helps to get the eye in for aircraft after four armour builds.

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well the Venom is in clear coat, so I needed something to do.

A tentative start has been made. I have cut the bang seats off the block and mounted them on a stick, so they are ready to get going on.

The Office IP's are going together, I forgot that Aires sets have the IP as photo etch, with a film behind them. I dropped the film and will be very surprised in any one even notices.

Not much but its a start.

View attachment 59561

I guess that the instruments would only really show if the systems are on. A bit a paint and glass in I doubt that I'll be able to see them any way.

Ian M

View attachment 61343

IMAG0888.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Very detailed instrument panels there. Looking forward to seeing this develop Ian.

J

Jim Scott

They are nicely detailed panels Ian, I too will be looking forward to there development.

Jim

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Cut the tub and got the bits and bobs primed yesterday.

Today I started to paint them. Pictures later when I have had a chance to really bugger them up lol

Looking at the fit into the cockpit area of the fuselage, it looks like I need to build the resin cockpit totally to find out which bits of the kit have got to go, and how much things are going to need thinning. Always a scary job.

It looks like the nose wheel well is going to be a fun job as the bottom of the resin cockpit looks like its a lot lower down......

Of shopping now so back later. Groan!

Ian M

C

Caledonia

Hi Ian, Yes the Aires Cockpit is a real pain to fit, it fouled the wheel bay by 3mm on my one. On researching the problem when I did my RN Phantom it would appear that Aires do a special wheel well which allows a correct fit of the tub, or so I am told?? Cheers Derek

p.s. Mine was thr British Phantom FRG.1 Set

Last edited: