Ian M's Phantom

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hmm I have a dozen or so in the stash....

Might be an idea. Thanks Dave.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I went for the next best thing, a Seafire F. XVII.

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Its a great kit. Well up in the Tamiya class!! Already built one a while ago, its in the Aircraft pictures section..

Mean while I have built, painted, decaled and am about to weather the one I built while waiting for the postman!! I'll post the finished pictures the appropriate place in a day or two.

THE POSTMAN CAME!!

View attachment 60511

The resin Wheel bays and doors. A lot more detail than in the kit. Should be fun fitting them. There is a lot to hack out of the kits wing, and loads to sand back on the resin part!

View attachment 60512 View attachment 60513 View attachment 60514 View attachment 60515

I was curious as to the quality of Eduard's Brassin parts, so I bought their F4 radar set. The detail is amazing! Even the INSIDE of the one part nose cone has rib detail!! Very crisp casts and well worth the dosh if you ask me.

View attachment 60516

Three tiny little pilot tube things. (The last one is right at the tip of the scalpel blade). Two that replace the plastic blobs on the Vertical Stab and the third that I have yet to suss out where it goes :confused:

View attachment 60517

A wing fold PE set that leaves a lot to the imagination. Not sure I will use it, but a good starting point to scratch something together...maybe.

So the Easter break is looking like a model building holiday. Just don't tell the wife. ;)

Ian M

View attachment 62127

View attachment 62128

View attachment 62129

View attachment 62130

View attachment 62131

View attachment 62132

View attachment 62133

IMAG0912.jpg

IMAG0913.jpg

IMAG0914.jpg

IMAG0915.jpg

IMAG0916.jpg

IMAG0917.jpg

IMAG0918.jpg

First Name
Dave
Some nice bits there Ian.I can't find anything for my Revell Phantom.Im reasonably happy with the cockpit and the seats will do.But I would have liked some replacement exhausts.Im wary of getting resin designed for the Hasegawa kit as it probably won't fit mine.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I have the tail pipes for both type of motor, I can measure them and send you the dimensions if you like.

My other Phantom is a Revell re-boxing of the Hasegawa So I can also use parts for the Hasegawa kits on that one. The one in this build is a Hasegawa one.

Ian M

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
looking forward to seeing you go for it show me the way...i will be taking tips

First Name
Dave
\ said:
I have the tail pipes for both type of motor, I can measure them and send you the dimensions if you like. My other Phantom is a Revell re-boxing of the Hasegawa So I can also use parts for the Hasegawa kits on that one. The one in this build is a Hasegawa one.

Ian M
That would be helpful Ian.my kit has the shorter exhaust type fitted to the J79 on this particular Phantom.at the point where they fit into the fuselage they measure 19mm.Aires set AIRE4128 looks like the type I need.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Then they should fit Dave. Those I have are 19 - 19.5mm.

Should they not fit, l'll take them off your hands.

IanM

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Then they should fit Dave. Those I have are 19 - 19.5mm.Should they not fit, l'll take them off your hands.

IanM
Thanks Ian.If they are within a milimeter or two I will be able to make them fit.Will order some tonight.

C

Caledonia

That radar looks tasty Ian, like you I have not been impressed with 'Airways' materials, bought wing fold for the Buccaneer but never used them. Cheers Derek

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
D

Danny

The depth of colour from the Sepia, Violet and Blue would need a daylight window white balance to see Ian...I can imagine though that the paint job will be ace..

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
True Danny, the Daylight tube in the lamp is a bit old. I'll try again if the sun ever comes out lol.

It might help if I used the camera instead of my smartphone.

Ian M

J

Jim Scott

Nice work Ian, looks very realistic even with your smart phone

D

Danny

Ian, the quality of smartfone cameras is incredible... I teach on a Tuesday and I love the look on students faces when you show them 10 pics half with smartfones half with dslr s and ask them to choose which is which...they never get it right.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I know what you mean there Danny. The main issue is holding the part, the camera, and keep it all still. As you know the closer you are the harder it gets. Still learning my new Camera as it can do more things than I can remember lol.

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Having waited so long for the wheel bays, I thought that I would get them sorted out and try getting the cockpit tub and nose wheel bay to fit.

Today's efforts:

View attachment 60600 View attachment 60601 View attachment 60606

The first big op was to remove the kits moulded in main wheel bays. A task made tricky due to the bay for the air break being right up against them. It took almost an hour to chop out the first one. Having figured it out, the second one only took 30 minuets!

View attachment 60602 View attachment 60603 View attachment 60604

After sanding the bottom of the cock pit tub paper thin, and like wise the top of the nose wheel bay, I got the two parts to fit in the holes.

View attachment 60605

Now its a case of waiting for the glue to dry.

Ian M

View attachment 62214

View attachment 62215

View attachment 62216

View attachment 62217

View attachment 62218

View attachment 62219

View attachment 62220

IMAG0922.jpg

IMAG0923.jpg

IMAG0924.jpg

IMAG0925.jpg