Ian M's Phantom

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well the sun came out. it looks nice out with the new snow we got last night!! Still it was only an inch or two and the sun has gotten the better of the most of it.

Point being I took a new photo of the exhaust cans with a bit of sun on them. Still with the camera in the smartphone.

View attachment 60717

Also started to splosh a bit of primer at the airframe.

Grey Alclad primer on the top, white Vallejo on the bottom. I was going to use White Alclad but its very thin and almost transparent even though it got a damn good shake! This is OK as I have found that A good white primer, followed with a couple of mist coats of well thinned topcoat Vallejo White, gives a nice soft shiny white.

This will all get left alone until tomorrow then a bit of pre-shade. Black on the top, grey on the bottom.

View attachment 60718

This puts the breaks on any building today!!!

Ian M

View attachment 62326

View attachment 62327

IMAG0941.jpg

IMAG0946.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
That's a neat effect on the exhaust Ian, nice job.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looking great Ian. Burnt / heated metal has always been a bit of a pain for me, yours looks really good.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Just a quick snap of the top side. Mostly primed and waiting for the centre arch for the canopies. Just have to put a handful PE and a few bits of resin details in them first!! :confused:

The rear end is also masked and primed black ready for some Alclad II Titanium and Aluminium

View attachment 60802

Dave, am I correct in assuming that its only the inside of the Auxilery air intake doors that are red, or is it the whole or the compartment, like on the airbrake and housing.

Ian M

View attachment 62411

IMAG0947.jpg

First Name
Dave
Just the inside of the doors is red.If you were to disconnect the door actuator and open up the door,you would see the underside of the engine.If I remember correctly,these door were only open at very low speed to get cooling air in and out of the engine compartments.It was a long time ago,but I remember connecting a test set to the upper pitot on the fin and using it to check the doors opened and closed at the correct speeds.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks for that Dave. I'll go for Red on the inside of the doors and white compartments, The Engine bits that can be seen will get a drybrush with some metal colours....Funny, I have LOADS of photos but most are in BW and the areas i am over thinking are hardly covered.

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Sooo Spent a while on the heat protection on the tail section.

Here it is with loads of sunshine!!

View attachment 60910 View attachment 60911

A nice sooty oil wash will soon knock the shine of the dark sections.

I'll be giving this a clear coat then I'll take the masking off. (Alclad goes everwhere) Then I'll mask it off when I spray the rest of the airframe.

Elevarons have had a similar treatment.

Ian M

View attachment 62506

View attachment 62507

IMAG0948.jpg

IMAG0949.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Right then. White paint has gone down. I think that it might need another swipe, as the preshade is showing just a tad to much for my liking. Only one problem, I don't think that I have enough white paint left!!!! Maybe if I wash out the bottle with thinners I may be lucky...?

Ta da!

View attachment 61052

I'll give this a couple of hours and see how it looks and if need be, give it another coat.

Ian M

View attachment 62642

IMAG0955.jpg

First Name
Dave
Coming on nicely Ian.The exhausts for the air conditioning packs are moulded much better on your kit (either side of the nose wheel well).

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks Dave. The exhausts for the compressors are pretty good aren't they. Would they normally be painted or where they keep bare metal..? Hmm

Well its starting to look like a Spook now. Got the EDSG thrown at it and I don't think I missed any bits this time. lol

View attachment 61094

Things left to do:

Er plum the legs, paint the wheel bays up a bit, sort the wing folds out. (PE is fine for a guide but its far to flat. It just needs building up to give it a bit of 3rd dimension). The obvious decal routine, stick all the knock of bits on. Oh paint that radar thing.....

Ian M

View attachment 62678

IMAG0977.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks Jim.

Got a bit of plumbing sorted on the legs, and made a start on the wing-folds. Tried a photo but the shine of the brass blows out the detail! I'll try again when Its been primed.

Ah! Found the bag with the pilot tubes in. Wish I had found them before I had painted :confused: Oh well I have plenty of masking tape. It will teach me to tidy up a bit as well.

I painted the nose cone up only to find I had forgotten to trim a redundant blade antennae off. Bugger. Good thing we have loads of time yet.

I'll see if I can get a couple of photos up later.

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian