Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
J

Jim Scott

It is looking rather good Ian, did you re-scribe and re-rivet?

Jim

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks.

Err, no Jim the nice men in the factory did that. All I did is repair a few lines that got swept away while sorting the seam on the spine. The "7 filler caps" being the worst.

The very thought of re scribing a whole kit makes my hands shake.

TV for the rest of the evening, I just gloss coated the bottom so now't I can di until thats cured

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
OK the drop tanks that mount under the wings: The Ark's spooks had All grey and others with white tops and grey bottoms. The airframe I am doing has been photographed with both. I think it was pretty much grab what was available at the time.

I had painted both mine EDSG and they looked pretty good. However I thought the two tone ones had more visual impact.

So what does muggins do? Correct I masked them off and was rather pleased at both hitting the points and getting a nice straight line.

Mixed up some paint and thinners. Sprayed them, cleaned the airbrush and took the tape off. One small problem.

I HAD PAINTED THE BOTTOM OF THEM!!!! Oh Bugger! :laughing:

Other disasters of the day? That radar unit....Well err, its trashed. I knocked it onto the floor. the dish broke into four (!) bits, the mount snapped in two, the little part that enables it to move in all directions vanished and to cap it all i ran the main unit up between the double wheels of the office chair.. Still the nose cone was fine so I'll just put it on closed.

No more modelling for me today.

Ian M

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
You're having quite the session there Ian! I know what you mean about those double chair wheels. When I drop something I don't move the chair if I can help it.

J

Jim Scott

Had one of them days yesterday Ian..picked up the test the water dio and promptly dropped it..and had a few other little mishaps with it..no a good day for me either...

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The end is in sight!

Well after a disastrous day the other day, things have gone a bit better now. They could hardly of gotten any worse.

View attachment 61581 View attachment 61584

The drop tank saga. The first one is the one as described in the earlier post. The second is the repaint, with the white and grey the right place!!!

Mixed up some wash. Paynes grey for the bottom, then added a spodge of black for the top.

The wheels detail really pop now. The fuselage at the moment looks like its just had a bath in diesel. (apparently a good way to bring back the sheen to an army truck, but not to smart on an aircraft).

View attachment 61582 View attachment 61583 View attachment 61585

It all just need time to dry then the fun of polishing it off can begin. Some of the engraved detail is so fine that I fear the coats of primer, pre shade, topcoat and clear coat has filled them just a tad too much. We'll have to wait and see.

Ian M

View attachment 63082

View attachment 63083

View attachment 63084

View attachment 63085

View attachment 63086

IMAG0987.jpg

IMAG0988.jpg

IMAG0989.jpg

IMAG0991.jpg

IMAG0992.jpg

J

Jim Scott

Those wheels are most definitely popping Ian, the phantom is coming along rather splendidly..:emo12:

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
well it was a night well spent ian love what you've done so far and as jim said the wheels look superb

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks Chaps.

I have now polished the wash off and......some of it stayed in the detail!! Yeah!

Spent the last couple of hours sticking all the bits and bobs on. Pylons, tanks, wheels, etc. Remembered to put the seats is this time. Almost a nasty moment when I could not find the jack's for the canopies....Found them in the bits box. I need to let the CA from the seats fume off before I attach the canopies though so the morrow will see the last bits stuck down...

Erm the wing folds were a pain to fix to the main wing but I got there in the end. Sort of.

So if all goes well, the next post in this build thread will be a link to the finished pictures......

Ian M

First Name
Dave
Sounds like its going to be another one of your masterpieces Ian.Look forward to seeing your finished Phantom.

A

AJay

Good to see you got things back on track, Ian, even if there are some broken components! The modelling disaster you had is common for me on most modelling sessions....lol I recently held a cockpit up to my spotlight to dry it quicker. I was distracted by something on TV and when I looked back at the cockpit it was dripping onto my desk..... Doe!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Finished photos are now up and can be seen here:

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/completed/18558-ian-ms-phantom-phinally-phinished.html#post161270

Ian M