Ian M's plan B

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
As I have a slight problem with the 17lb'er I posted in the other thread I will be turning to plan B; A 17/25pounder Pheasant with a Ford Quad tractor.

It turns out that the 17 didn't see much action in the desert and the quad didn't pull it around in Europe. Not wishing to blow the better part of £80 just to build a Crusader gun tractor, I Had a change of plan.

So here are the sprue shots of the 17/25 and the quad.

View attachment 48042 View attachment 48043 View attachment 48044 View attachment 48045 View attachment 48046 View attachment 48047 View attachment 48048

View attachment 48049 View attachment 48055 View attachment 48054 View attachment 48053 View attachment 48052 View attachment 48051 View attachment 48050 View attachment 48056

So there you have it. I will make a start some time soon.

Ian M

View attachment 50923

View attachment 50924

View attachment 50925

View attachment 50926

View attachment 50927

View attachment 50928

View attachment 50929

View attachment 50930

View attachment 50931

View attachment 50932

View attachment 50933

View attachment 50934

View attachment 50935

View attachment 50936

View attachment 50937

01 box art.jpg

02 big bits.jpg

03 clear sprue.jpg

04 sprue C.jpg

05 sprue B.jpg

06 sprue A.jpg

07 Eduard PE set..jpg

01Box top.jpg

02sprue 1.jpg

03sprue 2.jpg

04sprue2 detail.jpg

05sprue 3.jpg

06sprue 3 detail.jpg

07 ammo boxes.jpg

08 Instructions.jpg

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
And this is why i ordered one of them hold and fold thingys from John, i have the Quad gun tractor too mate. There is a lot of PE for the money Ian, i can't wait to get stuck into mine. But i'm going to see what you do first lol.

Have fun, John

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The Fun begins, First the Pheasant

Sorry Grand dad, I mean John. You'll have to wait a bit yet, I started the gun first. Sorry. You are very correct about the Quad tractor, loads of PE, (but not as much as the Gerpard!!!)

Right, found the good specs and after two and a half hours I had built the barrel, the recoil thingy and the breach. Also one of the supports and sight....

View attachment 48066 View attachment 48067 View attachment 48068

Please note the scalpel blade for size comparison!! Would it sound pretentious if I just add that the breach actually works!!! Pull the leaver and the block lowers!!! Sweet!

The sight and bracket was fun. There are 6 bits of PE on there somewhere!!!

Well my eyes are shot for today!

Ian M

View attachment 50947

View attachment 50948

View attachment 50949

09Pheasant.jpg

10Pheasant.jpg

11Pheasant.jpg

C

CDW

Plan B works for me :smiling3:

a working breach???... very impressive :smiling3:

Nicely done sir ....

I've seen that Tractor unit made up a couple of times and it's a good looker when done.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Right then. A lazy Sunday and loads of time to stick plastic...

View attachment 48108 View attachment 48109

I got the second half of the gun sights sorted and got the mounts together... So we almost have the 17lb'er. Time for some 25lb'er

For those that dont know, Pheasant was the code name for the British's new toy. A New 17lb anti tank gun. To get the weapon out as quickly as possible to help the chaps in North Africa with popping holes in Tiger tanks, the gun was mounted on the, then abundant 25lb field gun carriage. Thus the 17/25 part of the name. History lesson over, back to the build.

View attachment 48110 View attachment 48111 View attachment 48112 View attachment 48113

Thee detail in this carriage is well nice. (I now plan to add Bronco's 25lb'er to the stash!) Some very fiddly PE and plastic the size of a pin head but that's part of the fun, in'it.

The last photo I have just placed the gun on the carriage to get the general look in my head.

Next is the shield and all the lose bits....and there are lots of them!

Ian M

View attachment 50989

View attachment 50990

View attachment 50991

View attachment 50992

View attachment 50993

View attachment 50994

12Pheasant.jpg

13Pheasant.jpg

14Pheasant.jpg

15Pheasant.jpg

16Pheasant.jpg

17Pheasant.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Sun was shining today! No Honest! So was out in the garden and getting the car MOT'ed (passed with out problems glad to say)!

Only managed a couple of hours on and off.

Still I got the carriage 99% done just a couple of bits to go. Even more tiny PE. In the photo you can see in the instructions a reference to PE13, some tiny handles. They are ca. 0,5 wide, 6mm long and should be bent four times to form the grab and fixing points.... Kind of gave up on that after I totally destroyed the first two and lost the next two, (they'll probably turn up in Lauries tomato beds) so I made them out of wire, drilled a couple of holes and Roberts is your mothers brother! Handles.

View attachment 48185

Might get this in the paint booth tomorrow...

Ian M

View attachment 51058

18Pheasant.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Might be just a tad to warm to paint today. its got to be 30 C today!!!

Any way, got the turn table done today whist hiding in the shade.

View attachment 48199

So all the main parts are now ready for some primer!!!

Just saw that I missed two tiny teeny little PE handles on the mount for the turn table... bum!

Ian M

View attachment 51072

19Pheasant.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well it's a lot cooler now, so the Pheasant is now primed. I used Alclad primer for this one as it is nice and fine and we didn't want to drown all that lovely detail do we...

View attachment 48206 View attachment 48207

So while that cures I made a start on the Quad. Actually quite a simple build by the looks of it. Even the PE is reasonably straight forward. (yeah)!

View attachment 48208 View attachment 48209

Got the tyres scrubbed off and the axles stuck together, a quick clean up and they are good to go. Actually for what is after all an older kit the parts are showing only minimal flash. A few of the seam lines are a bit heavy, but nowt that a Swann and Morten #11 cant take care of. Those tanks are going to need a bit of a sand and a swipe of filler.... nasty.

Ian M

View attachment 51079

View attachment 51080

View attachment 51081

View attachment 51082

20Pheasant.jpg

21Pheasant.jpg

08Quad.jpg

09Quad.jpg

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Looking good Ian, I'm watching with interest.

Tony.

C

CDW

very well detailed eh?

Like what you've got so far ... lets hope the sanding and filling stays at a minimum :smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Cheers Chaps.

Got an hour in today before it started to get to hot.

View attachment 48261 View attachment 48262

I got the checker plate down on the floor of the quad, and the stop and go pedals sorted as well. Had a few probs getting the plate to stick. Can Gator Grip be to old?

View attachment 48264 View attachment 48265

The dash has also been swapped out for a PE part. The seats. I thought I had to give them the foil treatment. I think its worked, when they are 100% dry I will trim them to the frames.

View attachment 48263

Last but not least, some of the fiddly bits ready for primer.

Ian M

View attachment 51127

View attachment 51128

View attachment 51129

View attachment 51130

View attachment 51131

10Quad.jpg

11Quad.jpg

12Quad.jpg

13Quad.jpg

14Quad.jpg

C

CDW

I take it the Gator Grip is the acrylic polymer glue? if so then extremes of temp can affect it as it can depolymerise and "seperate" (possibly same as Tonys PVA he bought recently).

That tin foil effect on the seats will look the business methinks, not tried this effect out yet and i forgot to do it in the M10 i'm doing for this build like a plonka.

lastly i'm gradually getting more and more impressed with this PE stuff as it's being produced now .... very sharpe and crisp, certainly adds a certain "something" to the build.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
PE here and PE there

Well I thought the weather was better today but I was wrong, CA drying up quicker than I can use it!

He are the results of last night and today's battle.

View attachment 48387 View attachment 48388

Last night I thought that the U bolts that hold the axles in place, looked a bit naff, the U part that was moulded to the Axle din not meet with the strait parts moulded onto the leaf springs. So shaved and sanded them off, drilled the mounting plates and made some U-bolts out of brass wire. Looks a bit better. I think so any way.

View attachment 48392

Next up was the grill, not not the BBQ the radiator grill. Rather than just stick the PE one over the kit one as I have seen many do, I cut the plastic grill out of the kit part and put the PE one over the rather large hole that was left. This lead to the discovery that the kit has no radiator! Odd as the engine is quite well detailed. Sooo I made a radiator out of the cut out grill and a few bits of plastic card. And it fits as well! I checked.

View attachment 48389 View attachment 48390 View attachment 48391 View attachment 48393

Here is a quick over view of the last session, The Front bumper was fun, I had a mad moment of putting things the wrong way round! The doors have had a cross brace added, as I have seen a few do this. If it's accurate or not ? Just think it adds a bit to the otherwise boring door. LOADS of latches and catches where cut off and twice as many tiny bits of PE put on in their place.

View attachment 48394

Seats ready for primer. Look OK should be good with a bit of paint.

Ian M

View attachment 51249

View attachment 51250

View attachment 51251

View attachment 51252

View attachment 51253

View attachment 51254

View attachment 51255

View attachment 51256

15Quad.jpg

16Quad.jpg

17Quad.jpg

18Quad.jpg

19Quad.jpg

20Quad.jpg

21Quad.jpg

22Quad.jpg

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
Looking quality Ian lots of pe I see...and love the foil seats adds so much detail when there painted you made the right choise with the foil...keep the pics coming

P

Polux

It's a piece of goldwork!!! How many details!!!

This plan B, Ian, is fantastic!! And the seats it is a great idea, genially.

Cheers. Polux

C

CDW

Bit of scratch building happening then Ian :smiling3:

Looks great so far mate, that radiators a cracking little extra detail.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Boy I do pick 'em don't I.

Not a major problem, but a problem.

You see The quad I am building was from the stand alone kit from Tamiya and the Pheasant from an other kit. Problem is whole the Quads (which should be a Morris!) towed the gun, they had to use the limber as there was no room for ammo in the truck. So as I have the full quad with gun and limber in the stash I nicked the limber out of that one. Now the funny thing is that in this set the limber does not have the option of open doors, that is only in the kit that has just the gun and limber!!!!

So this leads to the problem. My Original Idea was the gun and limber in firing position and the quad close by... Its now going to be built under tow.

I thought about trying to open the doors up, but way past me to scratch build all the ammo trays and inner door details....

Happy days.

Paint is its way so thats always some thing.

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Limbering up.

Spent most of last night surfing the net for inspiration/proof/ideas.

What I found out was very interesting but will mean that this build is not particularly historically correct!!! This will get done for the SIG, and then as time passes I will get it right.

Just a small matter of either buying or building a Morris C8.

'Nuff twaddle,

The build.

Built the limber and as I had it did the PE on it as well.

View attachment 48755 View attachment 48756

Just the bits on the doors to do but I Was running out of places to hold it.

View attachment 48757 View attachment 48758 View attachment 48759 View attachment 48760Yesterday, I started paint on the inside of the Quad. The paint I ordered has yet to turn up, so loads of time yet.....

... time for a fishing trip over the weekend now!!

Ian M

View attachment 51579

View attachment 51580

View attachment 51581

View attachment 51582

View attachment 51583

View attachment 51584

23Limber.jpg

24Limber.jpg

25Quad.jpg

26Quad.jpg

27Quad.jpg