Ian M's Sea Vixen FAW2

A

andyrobs

Hi Ian, this looks really interesting, and with the excellent quality of your builds I'm definately looking forward to this one

Cheers, Andrew

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Ian i saved the very same kit for this GB. So now i have a dilema, do i build it or find something else ? it is a great kit will watch this very closely

P

Plastickitbasher

Ah good luck Ian I shall watch this with interst as I to have one in the stash pile

P

Polux

Very interesting plane Ian, looks very nice!!!

Good luck with it my friend!!

Looks like you are preparing another brilliant model, many photos and very elegant ... you seems to be happy with it.

Cheers. Polux

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Good choice Ian , ive been looking at getting one of these so ill be watching closely. A very charismatic and iconic (if youre british anyway!) aircraft , who would have thought a few years ago that we would be able to get a mainstream sea vixen in 1/48 , come on airfix ,lets have a scimitar and javelin now!! tony

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks Tony,

I have heard/read that there is a FAW 1 on the way in 1/48, and NOT resin but good old plastic!! While we are dreaming how about an Avro Arrow, or a Sea Venom and will we ever get a new Vulcan (in 1/48 scale, I need a new coffee table). A couple of British Phantoms wouldn't go amiss either.

Ian M

T

treyzx10r

Nice choice Ian! I always thought that right seat would be a hairy ride on this one!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
Thanks Tony, I have heard/read that there is a FAW 1 on the way in 1/48, and NOT resin but good old plastic!! While we are dreaming how about an Avro Arrow, or a Sea Venom and will we ever get a new Vulcan (in 1/48 scale, I need a new coffee table). A couple of British Phantoms wouldn't go amiss either.

Ian M
FAW 1 -Vixen or javelin? I dont mind either way theyre both just as desirable , in fact i always preferred the look of the FAW1 sea vixen to the FAW2 it looks a bit cleaner without the extended booms. The Avro arrow has been done in 1/48 by hobbycraft but is not really up to modern standards , still, i wouldnt mind having a go , its such an interesting story and a great looking bird . cheers tony

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Sorry Tony I didn't express that very well did I? Its a Vixen Faw1 that MPM have in the pipe in 1/48. Lets see if it ever comes to light.

Well I just been shopping!

1 x Aires 1/48 de Havilland Sea Vixen FAW. 2 Wheel Bay # 4531 (ARS4531) = £11.52

1 x Pavla 1/48 de Havilland Sea Vixen FAW.2 Airbrakes # U48039 (PVLU48039) = £12.16

1 x Eduard 1/48 Remove Before Flight/RBF tags PRE-PAINTED IN COLOUR! (EDR49009) = £4.69

1 x Aires 1/48 de Havilland Sea Vixen Cockpit set # 4524 (ARS4524) = £16.19

1 x Eduard 1/48 de Havilland Sea Vixen Folded Wings Landing Flaps # (EDR48723) = £15.29

Which for the quick of mind will add up and see that for the same price I could of bought two more Vixens!! (but if I had ordered from Hannants only one though!! )

After a good look at the Big ed set with all the PE I figured out that I would be better off just buying a couple of the sets that are in there and the resin cockpit.

(Thinking back to Funkies post about going full tilt, It can often save you a good deal looking to see what you get and what you need....)

So A few days waiting for that and I can get stuck in.

Ian M

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
With all those extras, this is going to be one detailed Vixen.

I'll follow with high expectations.

Tony.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well at last. The postie came today with a little box from England.... Goodies! (the post woman wasn't bad either).

Pitty I will be back to work Monday as I have been sitting here for the last ten days with a bad back and looking at my kit and wanting to get on with it!!!

View attachment 51418

Here is the contents of the parcel.

View attachment 51419

A much better airbreak than in the kit. Its got loads of detail.

View attachment 51420

The cock pit. I was only going to buy the seats and some harnesses but I saw I could get this for the same price.... no brainer.

View attachment 51421

And the wheel bays. Not to sure about the white metal legs, they look well fuzzy, and not a lot better than the kit ones. I will need a closer look.

The PE from Eduard are a set of RBF tags and the flaps.

So a lot of detail that won't be seen that much and we are in the zone thats called on the ground and ready for the ground crew. (who are on a tea break).

Ian M

View attachment 54009

View attachment 54010

View attachment 54011

View attachment 54012

IMAG0648.jpg

IMAG0649.jpg

IMAG0650.jpg

IMAG0651.jpg

B

buggins

I realise this has little or no reference to the subject but any mention of the Sea Vixen sends unwanted shudders down my spine. As a lad of

13 (I'm now 73) I was taken to the Farnborough Air Show in 1952 and watched in horrified fascination as the DH110 (later the S.Vixen) flown

by John Derry disintegrated at low level and literally rocketed an engine from the fuselage straight (or so it seemed) at me! It ploughed through

the crowd just a few pacws to my left killing and maiming large numbers of spectators. Its not something a young lad forgets.

B

buggins

I realise this has little or no reference to the subject but any mention of the Sea Vixen sends unwanted shudders down my spine. As a lad of

13 (I'm now 73) I was taken to the Farnborough Air Show in 1952 and watched in horrified fascination as the DH110 (later the S.Vixen) flown

by John Derry disintegrated at low level and literally rocketed an engine from the fuselage straight (or so it seemed) at me! It ploughed through

the crowd just a few paces to my left killing and maiming large numbers of spectators. Its not something a young lad forgets. Sorry for this

intrusion: as I say it is of no reference to your immediate subject. Buggins

T

treyzx10r

Ian those are some tasty looking upgrades! I've not had much fun with the white metal gear legs as well. Ordered a set for the Do217 build and wound up using the kit ones for that very reason.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well I made a start! Nothing worth photo reports though.

I have opened the Resin sets and had a good look at them. The "fuzzy" under carriage is not that bad and has a mass of detail, cable, pipes etc, The might be OK.

A lot of time was used looking at the "instructions?" that come with them, thinking WHAT HAVE I GOTTEN MY SELF INTO!!!??? Its a good thing I have a few photos to go by.

I will as normal start with the cock pit. So I have cut the seats from the casting block and stuck a few bits on. I am now wondering should I put the PE harnesses on before I prime and paint, or after? I will probably build then paint them afterwards.

I have some thing else I need to take a picture of later, so I might post one here as well.

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Ready, steady, Glue!

Well after loads of silly bits of PE and about an hour I have two seats!! Now my head is well done in so its a cuppa and flop in front of the box

View attachment 51575

PE harnesses! 12 parts per seat!!! I knew I should of got the seats with harnesses in resin!! lol-

Ian M

View attachment 54160

IMG_0331.jpg

T

treyzx10r

12 parts per Seat Ian wow!!! This is really going to pay off in the finished build! I ca'nt wait to see the rest of the goodies start going in!