Ian M's Spitfire Vb Tropical

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Still have not tried that serial yet. Lesson learned; Don't go for a scheme with 'non-standard' scripts!!! lol

Touched up the markings and gave them a quick swipe with some paper smooth wet and dry. Now sitting waiting for the clear to dry.

Next up washes.

Ian M

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I haven't caught up on this one for a while. But must say I like the results so far. Looking very nice.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
Still have not tried that serial yet.
A thought, you could try to get some hobby and craft 'rub on lettering' and paint in the bits to alter the font as required. Must be some lettering about the size you need somewhere.

A quick search on UK ebay shows many such letters and numbers in 9mm height.

T

treyzx10r

Thats intense Ian, the intricate paint work is paying off in a very authentic way!

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Ian

The Spit look very nice and the markings look great. The serial numbers will be an immense challenge and I'd be looking for decal alternatives if it were me. But best of luck if you go down the mask route.

Looking forward to seeing the finished model.

Cheers

p

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I have a plan...... more on that later....

Aerials! Having pinged of my nice detailed resin antenna mast off I cant find it any where. I have my eyes on the cats as I type!!! So fitted the kit one again.

Before I do something daft, and put the wires on, is there a kind gent or two that can confirm if this aircraft had both the aerial wire from the mast to the tail and the wires on the sides, from the fuselage to the tail wings....be a pity to drill the holes to find I did not need them...

Ian M

First Name
Dave
Some good info on 'spitfire site.com' Ian (can't get a link).Apparently,new Vhf equipment introduced towards the end of 1940 didn't require the wire from aerial to fin due to its shorter wave length.IFF antenna wires were fitted from tail planes to fuselage on the mk5 (amongst others).So I will have to fit them to mine.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Cheers Dave, that is one of my first ports of call for all things Spitfire. Just could not find the right info. (Concentrations shot to shingle at the moment...)

So IFF but no Aerial wire from the mast. Thanks, Right where did I put that drill...

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
IFF antenna wires are visible in some photographs of Spitfire Vs on Malta. Given how hard they are to see I'd guess that they did have them.

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Just given the fuselage a bit of gloss ready for the infamous serial numbers...

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Due to me brain being rather fried, I have not been so good with updates. I will though now say this:

FINISHED!!!

View attachment 103989

View attachment 103990

View attachment 103991

View attachment 103992

View attachment 103993

View attachment 103994

View attachment 103995

View attachment 103996

View attachment 103997

Might have gone a bit over the top with the soot on the undersides.... :oops:

I'm glad that I opted for the Trumpy kit and not the Airfix one...

A fun experience but I think it will be a long time before I get the urge to build another aircraft in this scale....

The're just too big for my display cabinet!

Ian M

IMAG2032.jpg

IMAG2033.jpg

IMAG2034.jpg

IMAG2035.jpg

IMAG2036.jpg

IMAG2037.jpg

IMAG2038.jpg

IMAG2039.jpg

IMAG2040.jpg

First Name
Dave
Great looking Spitfire.Nice to see a Malta paint scheme.

Z

Ziper_it

Great job Ian!

Wonderful finish and weathering is spot on. Regarding the underside I have your same feeling, but we all know it depends from personal taste.

Francesco

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Wow, nice work Ian. Great paint work, maybe a little heavy on the underside gun smoke as you say, but all round very nicely done indeed, and a top build. How did you get around the serial number issues?

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Cheers Joe and Mike.

Ah the serial number. I cheated. LOL I used a life line and called a friend. It turned out he has one of them there ALPS printer things. If you ever see this; thanks for the help!

Gun trails... I use Vallejo black wash and the true effect can only really be seen once dry and varnish put over it makes it even more pronounced... If not for the varnish, I would have taken it back a bit.

P

Polux

Great job!!

I really like it Ian, specially the lower side ;)

Well done!

Polux

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I didn't realise you'd finished!

Great job and an unusual Maltese scheme. You'll have to display it somewhere, a beautiful, big Spit like that will certainly draw some attention :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve