IBG 1/35 Tankietka TKS z NKM wz. 38 FK-A 20mm

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
My Airacobra build is awaiting a replacement canopy, and my Knyaz Suvorov build now needs some more DAS to repair the sea, so for the moment, the bench is empty. I've decided to go for this:
ibg TKS.jpg
This is the simple suspension version - the tracks are one piece. It has compete internals - it's a very small model, I bought it when it first came out & it came with two bonus resin crew members.
I'll put the camera on macro and will take some sprue shots & put them up tomorrow ( It'll be a certainty that the canopy & the DAS will arrive in the morning )
Dave

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Sounds an interesting build, will watch with interest :thumb2:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The sprue shots:
DSCF1655.JPGDSCF1656.JPGDSCF1657.JPGDSCF1658.JPGDSCF1659.JPGDSCF1660.JPG
An odd range of styles & shapes of sprues - slide moulding - no shrink or ejector pin marks. There is a little flash, but nothing to really cause problems. One thing I note is the large number of ingates on some of the more spindly parts - a new scalpel blade will be needed.

There are no decals & one colour scheme.................
DSCF1668.JPG

The instructions are produced from CAD renders - and are very vague in some areas
DSCF1669.JPG
Next up some detail shots:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The thing is really small - all those parts crammed into a tiny chassis
DSCF1667.JPG
DSCF1661.JPGDSCF1662.JPGDSCF1663.JPGDSCF1664.JPGDSCF1665.JPG
You see what I mean when I say a lot of ingates on some parts........................

The resin crew in relaxed poses - neither is pointing into the distance!
DSCF1666.JPG
The TK series of tankettes were all 2 man vehicles - like all the tankettes, they suffered from poor moblity, short range and poor operational awareness - no radios - little visibility, not helped by being so low! Armour was just adequate to keep out shell splinters. The TKs came in all sort of varieties, machine gun etc. The TKS had a 20mm cannon, which would punch holes in the Pz.kpfw. I & II - if they could see them!
I've made several TKs before, from Mirage & RPM, this differs in having the one piece tracks & a complete interior.
This is the TKW II from RPM
P1060056.JPGP1060057.JPG
This has link & length tracks - really fiddly. You can get the IBG TKS in two varieties - one with the single piece tracks - or link & length - I obviously decided to go for the simpler option!
And in comparison to a T-28.....................P1060063.JPG
!!!!!!!!!
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That’s a lot of sprue for such a small tank......good luck with it Dave, it’s something that isn’t often seen....

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
If a weapon of war can ever be described as cute then this is it. You won't need much shelf space. It looks a nice kit generally. I don't like the instructions done like that.
Jim

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Hi Dave
If a weapon of war can ever be described as cute then this is it. You won't need much shelf space. It looks a nice kit generally. I don't like the instructions done like that.
Jim
Jim,
I don't rate them much either - just lines, not renders is much clearer
Dave

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Dave

I have one of these tankettes partially done in the stash, albeit is a much simpler version from a different manufacturer, apart from the tracks.

When I was doing my research for it, I came across a build thread of this very kit. Not sure if it helps but here's the LINK.

All the best.

Andrew

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Hi Dave

I have one of these tankettes partially done in the stash, albeit is a much simpler version from a different manufacturer, apart from the tracks.

When I was doing my research for it, I came across a build thread of this very kit. Not sure if it helps but here's the LINK.

All the best.

Andrew
Andrew,
that's the complicated version, with the link & length tracks - and injection moulded crew!
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That looks well-moulded, and will probably go together far better than the RPM one I built once upon a time, of which you seem to have a different version.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I'm a big fan of IBG models so looking forward to seeing how it goes together. Its more like 1/72 than 1/35!;):smiling3:. I have been studying Polish camo patterns for my current project so if you want some different ideas let me know. Happy modelling my friend.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Construction started - I decided to assemble the left & right track units. They are very fiddly, with tiny parts, but the worst part is the clean up after removing from the sprue. Each part has numerous ingates, and takes far longer than normal.........................
DSCF1670.JPG
This is the simple version - the other version has separate wheels & link and length tracks. I'm happy enough with the simple version! The plastic is rather soft, and a bit too easy to cut................
With such a small model, I'm a bit torn as to when starting to paint - I could prime & basecoat the tracks now or wait until much later in the build - the problem is the camouflage - it carries on across all the running gear & the hull behind it. I can see pros & cons for either option, I'll have to sleep on it!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Good Grief! I'm having a bit of a struggle with this - getting the parts off the sprue without breaking them is the first hurdle. The second is the vague instructions, the final downer is the fit! Filing & cutting. once you have deciphered where the parts go!
DSCF1671.JPG
The next stage I've puzzled over for a while - a shaft runs backwards from the engine to the rear - a pulley & belt drive the fan for the offset radiator - the instructions show an exploded version, which I can't work out. The only way is to get all the parts off the sprue, cleaned up, and work backwards from the fan, seeing where parts touch........................
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The only way is to get all the parts off the sprue, cleaned up, and work backwards from the fan, seeing where parts touch........................
But that’s what makes this hobby fun! (To a degree, anyway :smiling3:)

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Stick two figures into the seats, nothing will be visible of the interior after :smiling3:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Stick two figures into the seats, nothing will be visible of the interior after :smiling3:
Jakko,
the crewman supplied, one seems to be standing, leaning against the tankette, the other seems to be sitting on the mudguard - being resin, they don't really look like they would convert easily................
Dave