ICM 1/144 Type IIB Uboat ( 1943 )

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I'm impressed, Dave. I've never got on with DAS- I can't stand those fibres, they always stick up where you don't want them. The last time I tried it was quite recently, for my Higgins boat, but I put it into the airing cupboard to dry ,with the (now I know) inevitable result.
Since then I haven't exactly persevered with it....
But you seem to have tamed the wretched stuff, hats off to you sir!

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I'm impressed, Dave. I've never got on with DAS- I can't stand those fibres, they always stick up where you don't want them. The last time I tried it was quite recently, for my Higgins boat, but I put it into the airing cupboard to dry ,with the (now I know) inevitable result.
Since then I haven't exactly persevered with it....
But you seem to have tamed the wretched stuff, hats off to you sir!
Neil,
are we talking about the same stuff? DAS is an air drying clay, it doesn't have fibres in it. I've just watered it down to a thin slurry ( took a lot of mixing ), so I could use a stiff paint brush to add texture. It sounds very much that you were talking about Modroc, a plaster impregnated bandage, much used by railway modellers!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After adding a bit of texture, bow wave etc, I left this overnight to dry.
I sealed the surface with diluted PVA, with a drop of ink ( so I could see where I'd covered ) - looks very patchy
DSCF1328.JPG
I'll give it another coat of PVA mix, then I'm gong to mask the deck only, and paint the sub hull. Then I can go on to paint the sea - mainly grey - I've been in the Baltic a few times, and it was grey ( mind you it was Autumn/Winter )
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Painted the light grey hull sides, then the dark grey 'saddle tanks', and gave the sea it's basecoat - appropriately Ocean Grey...................
DSCF1330.JPG
I'm going to have to work in some dark greens into the sea, as well as darker greys, it's going to be a matter of trial & error! Eventually, however, I'll use white/off white to highlight the waterline.
I've done sea bases before, but they've always been blue/green seas, so this is a bit more of a paint challenge
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Seascape is taking shape Dave. Good work with the Das clay!

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I've toned down the sea, with a faint wash of matt varnish, tinged with grey-green, then started on the deck. These are all very small pieces. The correct conning tower for U-23 was chosen ( 2 slightly different towers are supplied ).
DSCF1338.JPG
The railings are not easy, first, you have to get them off the sprue & clean them up, then you have to attach them! Steady hands & holding your breath helps............... The conning tower is dry fitted at the moment, as I still have to add a load of bits & painting will also be easier! One thing I will have to solve is some crew! It wouldn't look right, a submarine running on the surface, with no-one on the bridge!
Dave

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Dave.
Excellent stuff. Looking good.

Good job I warned you about getting the railings off the sprues. ;)

Re- your 1/144 figures, there are no doubt others, but I use the architect's ones from ebay. Dirt cheap and once they are painted and in place, they pass muster (Unless someone is a 'Zoom Merchant')

Ron

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Dave.
Excellent stuff. Looking good.

Good job I warned you about getting the railings off the sprues. ;)

Re- your 1/144 figures, there are no doubt others, but I use the architect's ones from ebay. Dirt cheap and once they are painted and in place, they pass muster (Unless someone is a 'Zoom Merchant')

Ron
Just bought 50 'N' gauge train passengers on ebay ( 1/150 ) - I'm sure I will be able to select 5 or 6 that'll paint up to represent u-boat crew..........
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Deck ready for paint..................
DSCF1356.JPG
I gave up on the really tiny parts of the flak guns ( shoulder rests ) - not worth the aggravation!
Made up two strips of crew - attached to plasticard, for ease of painting & attachment.
ICM supply the two periscopes as fully raised, but that wouldn't be done on the surface, so a couple of snips reduced the height...........
Dave

First Name
Tony
Watching the build with interest Dave.
An uncle of mine served in British submarines during the WW2 conflict, sadly I didn't ask enough questions whilst he was still alive, but one story he did tell, was when they were carrying out service alongside an American Aircraft Carrier. Some time was spent on board the US carrier and food was unbelievable. Remember him telling me "there we were cooped up in this little craft, when the food on board the carrier was served buffet style. The only problem was that if you left any of your meal, you were placed on a charge".