ICM 1/16 Delta Force Figure

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

100_5325.JPG

I was recently watching Black Hawk Down for the umpteenth time and felt the urge to have a go at this ICM figure (the chap on the box art bears more than a striking resemblance to Eric Bana methinks).

This is what is in the box:

100_5326.JPG100_5327.JPG

Very crisply modelled and moulded, with a lot of separate parts (which is good in my book). The only things that will need to be made are the coiled radio cord and the gun-sling.

The instructions and painting guide:

100_5330.JPG100_5331 (2).JPG

The box art is a pretty good colour guide, though I'm going to go for a more faded colour scheme, as in the film.

This is really modern for me (1993!), and I'm not confident that it will work out, but I thought it might be fun to have a go.

Attachments

• 100_5328.JPG
    100_5328.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 18
D

Deleted member 6559

OK, this is more-or-less ready for painting:

100_5332.JPG

The fit of parts was generally very good, the only problem being a slight step between the halves of the torso, which needed careful filling and sanding. The mould lines on the limbs were quite heavy, but happily much slighter on the smaller, more delicate parts, which cleaned up easily.

I'll need to add a socket and restraining bar to the helmet, and the whole will need quite a lot of wiring adding.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
A truly wonderful film which will be an inspiration for a truly wonderful figure. Nice to see you having a go at the modern stuff. Good luck

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers Steve.

Yes a great film. The bravery of the two Delta Force who more or less sacrificed themselves trying to hold a perimeter around one of the crash sites is astonishing. The book is perhaps more interesting in that it also gives a voice to the Somali militia, and perhaps more importantly, the poor civilians caught up in the conflict (between 1000-3000 militia killed and around 300 civilians).

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Interesting choice for you. I can't remember you doing an ICM figure before although I can't remember a lot of things these days :rolling:
Jim

• Haha
Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 6559

Mick - Looks good, though what is it? Sorry for my ignorance!

Jim - I have the same problem. I've done their Viking, and have tried to convert and failed with two others:

100_3055.JPG100_3057.JPG

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Peter ,it's from a Master Box set, a series At the edge of the Universe. It's a three figure set I'm putting together. There's this guy, a robot and a female android.

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
ABD22FFB-E576-4516-B876-78385D3B7D10.jpeg

D

Deleted member 6559

Blimey Mick, that's unusual - should be fun to do. Don't forget to run a thread.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Well this looks a bit if an unusual subject for you Peter. Very interesting :nerd:

Ps I’m gonna watch Blackhawk down tonight now:smiling5:

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Si - So modern it's almost sci-fi for me. Say hello to Grimesy and the gang.....

The head:

100_5341.JPG100_5342.JPG100_5340.JPG100_5343.JPG

Another really difficult face - loads of lumps and bumps and and ultra-fine detail. It didn't help having worked on larger scale busts for the past couple of weeks.

The helmet was pretty straightforward though; just matt black with a coat of satin varnish. I also added the necessary wiring and sockets, made from sprue and wire, and painted some labels on the battery pack, to which I also added a restraining bar.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter
Nice work, you can't tell you've dropped down a size either.
Lots of stuff of the helmet!
Looks like we have another mini heat wave to survive?
Another busy weekend ahead!
New chimney liner, then Animal Farm, the play at the Priestley theatre tomorrow.
Anna's brothers birthday Sunday!
To much again with too little bench time!
Keep your paints wet
Regards
Steve H

• Wow
Reactions: JR

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Bloody Nora Peter!! That is good. Keep raising the bar. Wonderful stuff

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve H - Glad you like our chap. Sounds like another busy weekend for you - very cultural again. The big thing for us is that our second daughter is off to Reading University on Sunday. Mum and brother are delivering her while I stay at home and cry with the dog.

Steve J - Many thanks matey. This is actually turning out to be rather enjoyable. Working on the flak jacket today - more later.....

Jim - Cheers my man.

D

Deleted member 6559

The upper half done:

100_5344.JPG100_5346.JPG

I must admit that this figure has surprised me: there is far more detail and fine modelling than I thought when looking at the unpainted plastic. The flak jacket was done with mixes of Vallejo Flat Black, German Grey and Basalt Grey; the camo with the base colours Stone Grey, Refractive Green and Saddle Brown, mixed with Off White and German Camo Black Brown for the shading.

The US flag insignia were indicated, but not that well drawn, so I used some Pedinghaus decals rather than attempt to paint them (really excellent decals by the way - thin, but strong).

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers Ralph.

A sloooow one this:

100_5348.JPG100_5349.JPG

I've now got half the legs done. The thing that's taking the time with this is painting the puckering on the seams and hems - there's a lot of it and it's very fine. Nice and therapeutic to work on though.