ICM 1/16 Roman Centurion : a second attempt

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Chris.

Yes, it's the coming together of Saturn and Jupiter, which can only be seen every 400 years or so. They were actually at their closest on the 21st, but they will still be near each other for quite a while. They can be seen from about 5.00 pm until about 7.00 low down on the Western horizon. Mars is also very bright, higher up in the South-Eastern sky. I too have a telescope, but it's such a pain to set up that I don't really use it any more. And as you say, standing out in the freezing cold no longer has the appeal it did.

ATB.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Chris.

Yes, it's the coming together of Saturn and Jupiter, which can only be seen every 400 years or so. They were actually at their closest on the 21st, but they will still be near each other for quite a while. They can be seen from about 5.00 pm until about 7.00 low down on the Western horizon. Mars is also very bright, higher up in the South-Eastern sky. I too have a telescope, but it's such a pain to set up that I don't really use it any more. And as you say, standing out in the freezing cold no longer has the appeal it did.

ATB.
THANKS for the info Peter we are goin out for fish an chips supper so will have a look tonight an yes i love astronomy but even with my 6 inch reflector only planets that show anything is mars an an the rings of saturn an the storms belts on jupiter an all the others are just points of light but its still ecitcing to look out at the night sky do you follow the sky at night on the telly ?
chris

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Peter.
Just told Christine you had seen the conjunction, she went out the other night. Only to return saying it was cloudy.

Hope you feeling ok. Lee in the US is really suffering from fatigue following his Covid .

D

Deleted member 6559

Chris - I've seen the moons of Jupiter, which was a thrill, but the planets are still just bright blobs with my telescope. Certainly watch The Sky at Night and anything on astronomy or science in general. I'm particularly fascinated by quantum physics and hope to begin to understand it some day.

John - Could be Long Covid, but as there were no tests when I think I had it, who knows? Poor old Lee eh?

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Peter is your scope a refractor or a reflector ?an what size ?as my scope was a 6inch job

john hutton

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Hi Peter, looked in to see one of your excellent 1/16th figs, but not to be just yet. Sorry to hear you are not to grand and hopefully it won`t be anything serious. Get well soon matey :thumb2: . Popping across now to check out the bust thread you mentioned. All the best,
John.

D

Deleted member 6559

Just realised that I've put this in the wrong category. It should of course be pre WW1. If a mod sees this, would they mind changing it?

John and Rick - Thanks for looking in.

So back to this one and the head is done:

100_9226.JPG

I had the usual shenanigans with the kit head, which I had two attempts at before abandoning it. This is yet another Reedees head, which needed much chopping and trimming to make fit. It was also a b****r to paint, with lots of bumps emerging under the paint - the cuts across the face are an attempt to accommodate the anomalies, and luckily most of the head will be hidden by the helmet.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Peter, agree with Jim:thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers chaps. I'm quite happy with the head, and feel that I can relax a bit and enjoy painting the rest.

Reactions: JR

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Nice work on the head and well disguised with the scaring too.

Reminds me of Messala in the remake of Ben Hur and his chopped up right ear.

Is it the light or have you primed the figure?

Hopefully now the head is done the remainder will survive the painting process after your first attempts with all the delicate parts in plastic.

That shield looks like a challenge too, decal or hand painting?

Another cold and grey day, but no snow yet?

Enjoy the light and paint for as long as you can.

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve

Well, he looks a bit more like the battle-hardened veteran. It is the light - no priming. The kit shield has a lightly etched design for hand-painting, but I've swapped that for a Miniart spare with a decal - I'm not a masochist.

No snow here as yet, just heavy rain this morning. Real Bleak Midwinter stuff and very poor light. Is it a day in the home office for you?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That’s a great colour combination Peter. The colours really work to bring out the best in each other.

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks Andy and Tim. There will be silver and leather brown too, so hopefully it will be more colourful, though this is never going to be a masterpiece.