ICM 1/16 Viking

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

100_3022.JPG

This is one that I've been excited about since I first saw it announced nearly a year ago. It was scheduled for release in January, but finally made it's way to these shores only last week. It's a re-tooling of a previous Revell(?) release, and I must say that on opening the box I was mightily impressed. Here are the sprues:

100_3020.JPG

Beautifully modelled and moulded parts. There are a choice of helmet fronts, swords and three arrows for fitting through the shield. I'll probably go for the open helmet and will try and use the sword, as it has some runes inscribed on the blade - the axe could be hooked to his belt.

Also included are an impressive base and a construction and painting guide:

100_3021.JPG

So.........

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Morning Peter
A nice change from the last figure. Sounds really good. Plenty of opportunities for your skills to shine.
Jim

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice figure Peter, I will watch with interest.
I've just heard that ICM have/are Releasing a Game of Thrones Ice Lord figure.

D

Dave S4

A very nice subject.
Those lads got a spanking not far from here in September 1066.

D

Deleted member 6559

Jim - A nice change indeed.

Ian - The Ice Lord figure has been out for a while. I did think about it, but fantasy's not really my thing.

Dave - If Harold hadn't had to march south immediately after defeating the Vikings at Stamford Bridge, the outcome of the Battle of Hastings may have been very different. Here in Canterbury, they turned up in 1011, laid siege to the city, broke in through treachery and made off with Archbishop Aelfheah, demanding increasing amounts of ransom for his release. They took him to their ships at Greenwich, but killed him during a drunken feast - pretty typical behaviour...

This one is now partially built and cleaned up, ready for painting:

100_3025.JPG

What a joy - almost perfectly fitting parts, with a minimum of filling. There are no sequenced instructions, but like some of the Miniart figures, this had to be built in layers from the legs up (experience with Minart has its uses). The limbs were solid mouldings, which is so much more preferable than having two parts for each to deal with, and these were the only pieces that needed a bit of heavy sanding to remove the mould lines - the rest of the kit required minimum clean-up.

The only casualty was the decorative hem on the tunic, which suffered from having to cross some joins and mould lines - I've sanded it down and will paint something in by hand.

Off on Granddad duty for a long weekend, so hopefully I'll get back to this mid next week.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Wow this looks a nice one Peter.Didnt hear of this one on the grapevine.Then again i dont buy magazines anymore.
The musketeer turned out super my friend.
Watching this one.
Richard.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
According to the ICM website, it's 100% new tooling, as is the Night King. The Night King looks good, but painting will be difficult, as it seems to be many shades of blue......icm night king.jpg
Picture from the ICM website. There are pictures of a made up model, as well.*night king*
Dave

D

Deleted member 6559

Richard - The new kits have been listed on certain supplier's websites for about a year.

Dave - Thanks for that. I assumed that was in the same series as the ex Revell figures. I agree that the Night King would be difficult to paint - all blues, greys and silvers.

D

Dave S4

Jim - A nice change indeed.

Ian - The Ice Lord figure has been out for a while. I did think about it, but fantasy's not really my thing.

Dave - If Harold hadn't had to march south immediately after defeating the Vikings at Stamford Bridge, the outcome of the Battle of Hastings may have been very different. Here in Canterbury, they turned up in 1011, laid siege to the city, broke in through treachery and made off with Archbishop Aelfheah, demanding increasing amounts of ransom for his release. They took him to their ships at Greenwich, but killed him during a drunken feast - pretty typical behaviour...

This one is now partially built and cleaned up, ready for painting:

View attachment 316171

What a joy - almost perfectly fitting parts, with a minimum of filling. There are no sequenced instructions, but like some of the Miniart figures, this had to be built in layers from the legs up (experience with Minart has its uses). The limbs were solid mouldings, which is so much more preferable than having two parts for each to deal with, and these were the only pieces that needed a bit of heavy sanding to remove the mould lines - the rest of the kit required minimum clean-up.

The only casualty was the decorative hem on the tunic, which suffered from having to cross some joins and mould lines - I've sanded it down and will paint something in by hand.

Off on Granddad duty for a long weekend, so hopefully I'll get back to this mid next week.

Yes, poor Hal got caught between a rock and a hard place. The thinking seems to be that he'd failed to unite the Saxon bigwigs and consequently there weren't as many troops available to him as could've been the case at Senlac Hill. That and rushing into things, falling for the feigned retreats, and not really having much of a strategy beyond standing firm... all caused problems.
And you can't trust a Viking, as your account demonstrates!

D

Dave S4

And I agree with the Time Team Special that showed the battle didn't happen where English Heritage have the site currently. The topography down there certainly convinced me.
Turn the whole thing 90 degrees.

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Dave

I went down to Battle Abbey earlier in the year. I also think that the battle could have been on the other slope. Still, the place puts a shiver up your spine.

As for the Vikings, incredible people really. I love the fact that in the Hagia Sophia in Istanbul there is some Viking runic graffiti - probably inscribed by a Norseman in the Varangian guard.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Nice to see the figure went together better than some you have had to tackle. Battle Abbey is a wonderful place and its great to see the reconstruction of the monastry being done. I think it may take some time to complete. What a wonderful place to go to school as well!

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Steve - It's a very nice kit indeed.

Back from a long weekend of Granddad duty and it's on with Noggin the Nog:

100_3035.JPG100_3036.JPG

I decided not to start with the head this time, so tackled the main part of the figure instead. I wanted to keep the various leather colours fairly light so that the detail stood out - I've used combinations of German Camo Black Brown, Flat Earth, Flat Red, Red Leather and Basic Skin tone. The base for the tunic is Medium Olive Green and for the trousers Luftwaffe Blue.

As mentioned above, the hem of the tunic did have a lightly inscribed pattern which I lost during construction and sanding, so I've gone for something in plain grey.

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Peter

An unusual start for you - not the head. the torso looks good, I do have one thought: perhaps it would be worth either lightening or darkening one or both of the belts so thay stand out aclittle more from the tunic.

I hope the Granddad duties are going well, and you daughter is recovering.

Peter

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Peter

I'll probably have a look at adjusting the colours when all the gear is on.

My daughter is recovering well thanks. Still reeling from the baby's three-hour screaming session on Saturday evening though.....

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice start Peter, but he looks more like Nog Bad the Bad.

John

D

Deleted member 6559

Pete - Still got two at home - I know all about it.

John - Thanks. Noggin the Nog was made a few miles from here in Blean just north of Canterbury. Peter Firmin and Oliver Postgate are local heroes, and the museum has a permanent display of their work - original artwork, all of the puppets (Clangers, Bagpuss etc). Canterbury was also the home of Mary Tourtel, creator of Rupert the Bear.