ICM 1/32 Fiat C.R.42 'FALCO' - COMPLETE.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've completed this as an aircraft from 83 Squadriglia of 18 Gruppo, based in Belgium for the Italian contribution to the aftermath of the Battle of Britain.

Many people will have seen pictures of a C.R.42 standing on its nose on the beach at Orfordness. It is a rare image showing the upper camouflage of the wing and provokes debate. I thought I would make a black and white image of my model in a similar pose to see what it looked like. It's not the aeroplane or the beach, but I thought the result was revealing.

beach-blackandwhiteimage.png

One of the camouflage colours has completely disappeared! It's what I now strongly suspect has happened in the hotly debated image of the real thing.
Enough of this unscientific investigation, here's a traditional walkaround.

Port.jpg

PFQ.jpg

PRQ.jpg

Starboard.jpg

SFQ.jpg

SRQ.jpg

This has been a very nice kit to build, very well engineered and with excellent fit. ICM seem to have seriously upped their game. I would have no hesitation in recommending it to anyone who wants a large scale C.R.42, it's the only choice anyway. Paints are the usual Colourcoats from Sovereign Hobbies. The build is OOB except for the addition of a seat harness.

Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Steve
That's great. Definitely one to be proud off.
Jim

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
You have done a superb job here Steve. I love the camo scheme.

I do think that I will just have to indulge in one of these myself….

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Steve,

Top, top work as always. And as you say interesting to see one of the camo colours completely disappear.

Very well done indeed.

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Excellent job on an interesting aircraft. That will stand out on the shelf alright.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
A great result Steve interesting about the camo even the the camo is camouflaged from its self.:tears-of-joy:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks for your kind comments one and all!

I do think that I will just have to indulge in one of these myself….

I think that you should Barry, it would be nice to see what someone else made of it! It would also be nice to see the Italian MRP colours.

Steve,......... What's next?
Dave

I have absolutely no idea Dave. The only unbuilt kit that I own is another 1/32 Whirlwind, but it was recently that I built one. I may have to buy something new to have a go at next. I may try something German. The Luftwaffe was always an important subject to me and it's been ages since I built a large scale Luftwaffe aeroplane. There still seems to be an issue of availability for many of the more popular kits.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Fantastico! A superb build steve , skilfully painted and well photographed . The b/w photo is very revealing , just goes to show how our eyes can be deceived when looking at old pictures . Seen as youve done one spatted aircraft how about another for the next build , maybe a ju87g kanonenvogel . I just seem to have a thing about spats lately!
Regards Bertie Wooster

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Magnificent work Steve, love the camouflage scheme and soft edges you have achieved.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
... love the camouflage scheme and soft edges you have achieved.

Thanks Joe, I just sprayed it freehand with one of my trusty Iwatas, the little one (Revolution something or the other).