ICM 1/35 Sd.Kfz. 247 Ausf. B

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date

therapy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
Very impressive work Andy. Particularly in the masking of the cab interior...

Nick

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Looking good Andy...apologies for coming up late. The futuristic look reminds me of a Mitsubishi Evo.

Your construction has convinced me to try the new ICM soft skin and armoured kits. You don't disappoint when it comes to airbrushing and the masking items are typical for us air brushers. The two coloured interior will come out fine once the interior is populated with the equipment.

The shed reminds me of my Grand Dads huge garage cum storage tool shed in Kuantan. Mind you we kids were told now and then to be careful of cobras lurking in the shadows and to beware of picking up anything that looks like rope. We did find shed skin lying around when spring cleaning before Christmas. I bet you don't get critters like this in your shed Andy.

Cheers,
Richard

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
A very interesting subject to build. Outstanding work on the interior and engine compartments. Luvin your style my friend

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks chaps.

I'm impressed so far Richard. They've since released a version of this kit with 3 figures, which would have added even more interest to the interior, but I have an idea for that. I've also seen a picture of one with a stick grenade rack, which might liven things up even more. I'm sure I have some lying around somewhere, I just need to find them lol.

And no, thankfully we don't have that kind of thing often over here. The odd spider is the most I have to deal with and they are usually tiddlers compared to the stuff we get at work. Spray booth spiders are legendary. I don't know if it's the heat or the isocyanates but they don't half get big (for the UK).

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
For those who haven't tried an ICM 1/35, I recommend the Panhard AMD 178 - it comes in various boxings, including a rail version. It has a complete interior, or can be made buttoned up, if you're not into that. Like all ICM vehicles, it's quite a 'busy' build, with a fair few tiny parts - not a beginners model, but worth a look ( Revell did a rebox of this - at about 3/4 the ICM price! Tamiya also did a rebox, added some figures & charged a lot more! ))
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
Coming on a treat. Your usual neat, careful work.
Jim

D

Deleted member 7181

I'll start with a picture of how much of the engine will be visible. Not a great deal, but it would have meant major surgery to have the whole front end lifted up and I wasn't feeling too confident. Maybe next time :smiling3:

HdTPzO6.jpg

I've mostly been working on the stowage bins today. Not bad from the box but as you can see with this picture, the detail for the openings is only moulded onto the front

yLiK9UI.jpg

So I did a bit of scribing to continue it around the sides and properly show the upper and lower "flaps"

ocvXYUK.jpg

And from the other side, not fully cleaned up yet, also showing the addition of a little rubber bump stop for the drivers door that I noticed on pictures.

yeyBG2q.jpg

Onto the other side, I recycled a PE hinge that I'd made but never fitted to a Stug way back, and added a few spare bits of etch to simulate catches

QdkrPen.jpg

The forward box on the same side was just that, a featureless box of plastic, so I scribed in a (rather too small) door with some strengthening ribs, and again added spare etch to give the impression of hinges and a lock cover.

xvtfYUK.jpg

I added some of the knocky off bits but haven't fitted the front lamps and width indicators yet. Someone that has built this kit suggested drilling out the holes for these rather than using the kit "dimples", to give a more secure mounting, which sounds like a good idea.

Then I couldn't resist a quick mock up by fitting the tyres and plonking the upper section on

cHVtSys.jpg

usyG1ck.jpg

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Paul and Andy.

I got a bit more done yesterday, will update later.

D

Deleted member 7181

I spent much of yesterday trying to scratch a jerry can rack for this. About the only sensible place was on the rear quarter, so had lots of angles and very little space to cope with.

First attempt was with some spare etch, but I just couldn't get it to hold together

FfU5q4g.jpg

I then had a go with styrene strip, which was looking good until I stepped back and had a look without the magnifiers. It was far too chunky and looked ridiculous, so that got scrapped as well.

B6EdXdz.jpg

So I aborted that and got on with the interior, adding a couple of bits.

yIJybx7.jpg

zRiJJqE.jpg

It then got closed up, masked, and hit with a coat of primer.

aMoFpo0.jpg

moLvZoJ.jpg

I'm in the middle of painting it now but having trouble seeing what I'm doing. With so many flat areas to go at, and no natural light to help me, it's hard to get a good overall picture of how it's looking with all of the reflections and glare. I've tried every combination of lights at all different angles. Under the bench in the shadows is working out best for now :smiling5:

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Andy & Pete. I'm trying to take my time but still seem to be hurtling along!

I managed to get some paint on despite the lighting issues. As always I could have gone heavier with the modulation but I'm still not brave enough for that :smiling5: It's hard to catch on camera anyway with all of the reflections, but there's plenty of mottling & variation, with upper facing panels being highlighted with neutral grey and lower facing ones shaded with a german grey & black mix

RAxFWib.jpg

q5C9rGF.jpg

Then some stickers, a drybrush with grey to start picking out the edges and weld seams, and a bit of detail painting.

slu8YDL.jpg

IAKpXXC.jpg

Once the decals are all dry I can varnish it up and start some weathering.

Then I have all this new stuff and a Hectare of foamboard to try and make into a diorama scene. Nothing like jumping in at the deep end :surprised:

99OBKjN.jpg

3VWppaw.jpg

CEPcBYA.jpg

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Paul.

At the moment I have only the very vaguest idea, and I don't really know what I'm doing, so the end result will be as much of a surprise to me as it is you :smiling5:

Reactions: JR