Icm 1/48 bf 109 f-2

T

T. van Vuuren

After a long time strugling with this kit and it's extremely bad fit issues I decided to just go ahead and slap some paint on the thing as I highly doubt it will get any better.

It is being done in the sceeme of the 109 that the SAAF captured in El Daba 1942 (white 9 9./JG 53) due to fuel shortage abd brakes failure.

The crosses were overpainted (but still visable) and for some reason all the "Hell Blau" sections were re-painted in a sky blue.

The SAAF side # was " ? AX"

I am hoping to get the decals on this weekend after the Future fully cures.

Theuns

View attachment 50324

View attachment 50325

View attachment 50326

View attachment 50327

109 F2 SAAF 006.jpg

109 F2 SAAF 002.jpg

109 F2 SAAF 004.jpg

109 F2 SAAF 005.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Theuns I believe that the crosses were overpainted with Dark Earth,which is slightly darker than the Sandgelb. At least one source reckons that Dark Earth was applied as a disruptive pattern when the aircraft was repainted.

I've found three images with a quick flick through my library. Two show the port side,in one the canopy is covered with a canvass and the other the port rear quarter. I have to say they are not conclusive but in one there is a hint of a demarcation on the fuselage. There are also the Meterlerkamp photos ,and a couple of others,(link below) which you wil probably know being in South Africa!

The trouble is that the two colours don't have much contrast on B+W film.

What colour codes have you got? I'd go with blue but I know people will argue about this :smiling3:

I reckon the spinner was re-painted in SA red/orange too.

For those who haven't seen the South African photo collection it is a fantastic record of life at the front,in the desert. There are worse ways to spend a few minutes than looking through these!

http://hannesfaure.yolasite.com/photographs.php

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
T

T. van Vuuren

Steve, yes the spinner was red with SAAF roundals (orrange centres)

In the meanwhile a slight desaster has struck thid build! I aplied the decals as per usual and brushed some microsol over them expecting them to shrivel up and then lie flat looking painted on (I might have miss understood this part)

Nothing hapened to the decals so I put more sol on, only to see it has eaten the future next toone of the roundals. Don't know how I will fix this, maybe carefully brush on more future and hope it levels out.

The carrierfilm of the decal is still clearly visable, this is confusing me as I thought the sol was supose to totally desolve this.

I actually tried various other makes of decals and they don't really desolve to a point where they look like paint. Can microsol go off or become old???

The future seemed to be fully cured 24 hours in medium temps.

Theuns

ps. my atempt at freehand brushpainting the side# on is also a failure. This is just a BAD build.

View attachment 50328

View attachment 50329

View attachment 50330

109 F2 SAAF 010.jpg

109 F2 SAAF 008.jpg

109 F2 SAAF 009.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Many decals need repeated applications of Microsol. I often do three or four over a day. There are some decals that just won't react to anything short of a blow torch!

The decals don't always wrinkle but they do soften nonetheless. It is important not to fiddle with them when they are in this state.

I've never known Microsol to eat into Klear and I've been using it for years. Sometimes it will cause a whitening of the surface of the Klear and this will disappear with another coat of Klear.

I don't think your build looks too shabby at all,hopefully you'll be able to overcome these little hurdles :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

T

T. van Vuuren

I tried to brush on some future to the affected area next to the roundal, hope it will even out and dissapear when the matt goes on.

As for the poor brush work, I will just have to live with it. I did cot out a ? from maskingtape and promplty lifted some paint when I re-positioned it - see how things are going wrong with this!

There is still the finflashes to go on and a few things to add and touchup, then this 109 is going into the case and out of mind LOL!

I will try to add some tamiya flat base to Future as a matt coat, will see how that turns out.

Theuns

M

mobear

it is such a strange plane in those markings,i love it all the same,excellent build and mind funk

mobear

T

T. van Vuuren

Yea it just doesn't look right does it! I also see the pitot tube is missing LOL!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Looks good Theuns. You could do a series of "Captured by the South Africans" 109s :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I like it theuns , dont be hard on yourself, it looks fine. I wouldnt worry about the code letters either , they were probably hand painted on the full size machine too. cheers tony

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I like it too. I have seen a photo of this aircraft and it looks like you have nailed it!

Nice one!

Ian M